Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap upgrade to what I already have?

Options
  • 12-09-2017 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hello bois, I'm currently using an "outdated" PC with the following specs:

Asus P5KPL-CM Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Overclocked at 2.8GHz
    4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (currently at just over 900MHz) (Ramaxel RML1320EF48D8W-800)
    ASUS GT 640 2GB GPU

This was a pre-built machine made by Ankermann.

I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 8GBs and 1066MHz speed recently, but found out my motherboard only supports 4 :(

I'm looking to upgrade this on the cheap, not necessarily CPU/Socket wise, but I see that the motherboard most likely has to go.

Any cheap upgrades for it? Planning to get a better than Intel OEM cooler for it for a 3GHz Overclock and a better GPU.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I assume you don't game on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Bit of casual gaming, but nothing too demanding, I'm happy with the performance enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

What would be your upgrade budget be .
    and would you prefer new parts or Second hand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Be easier to just buy a 2nd hand Dell desktop off Ebay. You'd get a 3rd gen i5, 8GB ram for around €150, spend another €70 on a new GT1030 and you'd have a PC for €220 that would be 3 times faster than your current one, which can be sold for €100-130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Be easier to just buy a 2nd hand Dell desktop off Ebay. You'd get a 3rd gen i5, 8GB ram for around €150, spend another €70 on a new GT1030 and you'd have a PC for €220 that would be 3 times faster than your current one, which can be sold for €100-130.

This is probably my best bet by the look of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement