Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still watch "Friends"?

• 12-09-2017 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

It aired in September 1994 and has been on tv since.
    So, 23 years on, do you still tune in?

I admit to watching certain episodes for 2 'special reasons' but aside from them, no great interest. You?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

It aired in September 1994 and has been on tv since.
    So, 23 years on, do you still tune in?

I admit to watching certain episodes for 2 'special reasons' but aside from them, no great interest. You?

Love it. Saw them all lots of times but would look at any episode of was flicking through stations and happened on one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'd watch it for a few minutes if I came across it. But saw all the episodes originally so wouldn't make any effort to find when it's on to watch it these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

What channel still shows them? E4 played about 4 episodes of re-runs of Scrubs a day for about 5 years - I began to lose my mind. Friends was the same, but I guess they must show it on Sky or so cuz I haven't seen if for a few years now. Would prolly watch though, if there was nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

No.

When I traveled to Thailand & Australia in 2005/06 I was in the company of a person who was (and remains) obsessed with the show.

This person bought a knock-off complete box-set of Friends on the Khao San Road in Bangkok, and when we arrived in Sydney we were too poor to afford a TV sub, but we had a DVD player. These were the only DVDs we posessed, so it would be on morning noon and night, worse than any E4 Marathon.

I effing HATE David Schwimmer's stupid face as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

Hunchback wrote: »
    What channel still shows them?

RTE2 shows them on Saturdays at around 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hunchback wrote: »
    What channel still shows them?e

Comedy central plays about 4 hours of episode a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Absolutely loved it when it was on originally but watching it now I find it a bit grating. Great performances in the main but some things that rankle are

* Ross' character once Schwimmer starts directing
    * The whole Rachel/Joey storyline
    * Reliance on 'Phoebe being Kooky' 'Monica being uptight' 'Ross being angry'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Towards the end, they made nearly all of the characters too eccentric and I don't think it worked.

I wouldn't watch it now but it was alright. It is definately repeated too much on tv. It was the same with Everybody Loves Raymond and Two and a Half Men, I think. I just don't enjoy them anymore but I liked them at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Definitely watched it to death, haven't much interest in it anymore. Season 2-6 was it's peak, and a steady decline thereafter. Some subplots have not aged well at all (Chandler's dad and Ross's fairly manipulative shenanigans with Rachael especially stand out), but it was very good at it's best, and still had it's moments even in weaker episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Season 2 until the London episode were the peak seasons for me. Comedy Central as mentioned show it almost daily. If anything it's become a comfortable mainstay as in, where there is nothing on, then a few episodes of it is grand.

The writing was on the wall for it as a show towards the end of season 3 with 'The one with the ultimate fighting champion' where Robin Williams and Billy Crystal make a cameo at the start. It was thrown in as they happened to be there that day. From there on it became celeb cameo one after the other. The over riding arc with the Ross and Rachel will-they-won't-they dynamic fizzled out by then. That whole plot had some of the best sitcom material ever written.

The London episode was a culmination of the above (celeb cameos and a clear attempt by the writers to extend that Ross/Rachel dynamic). In the seasons after, the Chandler-Monica relationship became the focus, while the writers needed to find things to do for the tertiary characters in Joey and Pheobe.

Also, it contains my favourite exchange in a sitcom ever.

Joey: That's how they do pants! First they go up one side, they move it over, then they go up the other side, they move it back, and then they do the rear. Ross, will you tell him. Isn't that how a tailor measures pants?

Ross: Yes, yes it is... in prison!!! ...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Lo_La

Yes!! All the time it's my go to programme when nothing else on, but I much prefer the first few seasons up until about season 6, wouldn't really bother with the last few. I am really annoying and quote friends all the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, but then I was never a fan of the show.. even in its hey-day. I've seen episodes over the years alright and every character in it just seems annoying.

Two and a Half Men though (as someone mentioned it) I'd still watch if it was on.. but only the Charlie seasons, and then preferably only up to where they started writing "Charlie settles down with Chelsea" episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Love it. I've probably seen every episode about 10 times at this stage, I often just have it on in the background if I'm working at home as well - and I still end up watching most times I see it on TV the odd time on Comedy Central.

Do the same thing with That 70's Show and The Simpsons as well, but Friends will always be my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Do the same thing with That 70's Show and The Simpsons as well, but Friends will always be my favourite.

In The Simpsons case, the show is still running (28 years later) and i can see it staying on Sky, C4 and RTE for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

tenor.gif
    Baywatch4-1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In The Simpsons case, the show is still running (28 years later) and i can see it staying on Sky, C4 and RTE for years to come.

I've never really seen an episode past about S15 as it just became unbearable, usually I stick between seasons 1 and maybe 12 or so.

Advertisement