Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Juliet €5k Joining Fee...Celtic Tiger is baaack!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Just on the weekly competition fees thing - I joined Fota before the boom took off and one reason, besides the quality of the course, was that there are no weekly competition fees, i.e. once you pay your sub thats it for the year and all prizes etc are covered. As I was playing both days at the weekend it actually wasn't much more that the club I was a member off before - it just had to be paid in a lump rather that over the year.

Carton is the same..... It at least it was. When I weighed it up, like yourself not much more than what I pay in Greystones. Mind you Greystones is not a budget club either

techdiver wrote: »
    They sound like the type that want to return to the days of only rich people being able to play and to get rid of the riff raff from their beautiful game.

I'm not rich or anything like it. I can afford the fees because it is my social expenditure for the year. I don't drink my nugget off a few nights a week, in fact it could be months between my pub visits. I would be confident that the "riff raff" spend a hell of a lot more on their annual social activities than I do.

And I've seen first hand and been given eye witness reports of "riff raff" taking up membership in plenty of nice clubs.

When they aren't wanted it welcome it is not because of their social status but when they become dicks. And anyone can become dicks. Sure poor aul Seany got ran outta our place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Wow was it really that much. That is absolutely crazy. I wonder how many people joined at that rate. Was that the biggest joining fee in Ireland at the time do you know Kevin?

To my knowledge it was the highest joining fee in Ireland... and depending on who you believe, the number of people who joined was 1... or 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The 'value' of an entrance fee has been ignored in recent years. Granted, the €75,000 being charged by Moyvalley back in 2006 was ludicrous beyond belief (for Ireland)

I only played moyvalley recently and a current member mentioned a joining fee of 25K during the boom. To which I nearly choked on my pint of Guinness!

I thought 25K was outrageous, 75K seems unbelievable for down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

On a side note seve is Greystones a links course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

benny79 wrote: »
    No.

benny79 wrote: »

nope, though a few have said some holes feel linxy to them. i don't get it.

fancy a game? team event or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Seve OB wrote: »

I played Powerscourt yesterday. Years ago, the only way to join was to buy a "share" which I remember at one time going for 50k. That all stopped during the bad times and for the last few years people have been leasing these shares from the club and basically just paying subs.

Guy in my fourball yesterday has just joined and the leasing is no longer available, he paid 6.5k for a share and that was the last of the "cheap" ones. If you want to join today the shares are 7.7k.

The Boom is back baby!

I love Greystones but never thought of it as linksy!

The back nine is fantastic but holes 4,5,6,7 around that big hill are poor and let it down.

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I love Greystones but never thought of it as linksy!

The back nine is fantastic but holes 4,5,6,7 around that big hill are poor and let it down.

4 is good,
    5 is poor
    6 is a belter
    7 is a clever mans hole, but has a risk reward element

you have to think your way around that section

• Advertisement

4 is good,
    5 is poor
    6 is a belter
    7 is a clever mans hole, but has a risk reward element

you have to think your way around that section
    Yeah I agree you have to think your way around it because it is mental!

I'm sick of people (members) telling me 6 is a "belter" I dont like a par 4 where you have to 7 iron off the tee. I don't mind so much if there is an option to gamble with a driver but that isn't there so no risk/reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

I played Powerscourt yesterday. Years ago, the only way to join was to buy a "share" which I remember at one time going for 50k. That all stopped during the bad times and for the last few years people have been leasing these shares from the club and basically just paying subs.

Guy in my fourball yesterday has just joined and the leasing is no longer available, he paid 6.5k for a share and that was the last of the "cheap" ones. If you want to join today the shares are 7.7k.

The Boom is back baby!

They key point is you are buying a share which subject to demand you can sell on or pass on to a family member.

In the more established Dublin clubs where you pay €20000 joining fees there is no succession. You cant pass that on to a family member etc.

Yeah I agree you have to think your way around it because it is mental!

I'm sick of people (members) telling me 6 is a "belter" I dont like a par 4 where you have to 7 iron off the tee. I don't mind so much if there is an option to gamble with a driver but that isn't there so no risk/reward.

either you are a serious bomber or you are playing off the junior tees. never have i hit 7 iron and i hit the ball a good whack. most times i play with a 3 or 4 iron off tee to land in front of the bunker. if i get the wind at my back i might go down to a 5, maybe once have i ever hit 6. i see lots of guys hit driver and try cut the corner. it is a risk, IMO a big and stupid risk and little reward if you pull it off
    IMO 6 is a poorer hole now than it was. before there was much more gorse off the tee and down at landing areas. essentially there was a tunnel you had to hit the ball down through.

either you are a serious bomber or you are playing off the junior tees. never have i hit 7 iron and i hit the ball a good whack. most times i play with a 3 or 4 iron off tee to land in front of the bunker. if i get the wind at my back i might go down to a 5, maybe once have i ever hit 6. i see lots of guys hit driver and try cut the corner. it is a risk, IMO a big and stupid risk and little reward if you pull it off
    IMO 6 is a poorer hole now than it was. before there was much more gorse off the tee and down at landing areas. essentially there was a tunnel you had to hit the ball down through.
    Ok fair enough I am exaggerating a bit with the 7 iron (never let the truth get in the way of a good story) but it is a 5 iron for me down to that bunker on the right.

Anyway we can agree to disagree, as I said I love the course as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

The Boom is back baby!

There website seems to differ to your friends opinion.

http://powerscourtgolfclub.com/golfmembership

I am pretty sure the website is out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I'm pretty sure the website is spot on and some one is telling fibs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I am pretty sure the website is out of date.

Why would they change their 2017 membership mid year??

yea Eoghan, you know nothing, what are you talking about.
    do you not know that websites get updated automatically as soon as someone makes a decision and nobody has to even make the changes on it :rolleyes:

do you not know that websites get updated automatically as soon as someone makes a decision and nobody has to even make the changes on it :rolleyes:

If the guy in the fourball had joined already it would be 2017 membership. The page says 2017 membership??
    Perhaps the guy in the fourball got the last of the share membership at that price but there is clearly a cheaper normal membership option

• Advertisement

I think the roll eyes applies to this response.

morrga wrote: »
    I think the roll eyes applies to this response.

so you really do not think that there could be chnges planned and they just haven't updated their website yet?

2017 is over, the golfing season is at the end, most clubs are now looking to 2018

so you really do not think that there could be chnges planned and they just haven't updated their website yet?

2017 is over, the golfing season is at the end, most clubs are now looking to 2018

I think Eoghan made a mistake or the guy who told him got it wrong. Why don't you email the Powerscourt to clarify?
    I'd be happy to take the titled "2017 membership" as clarification that Eoghan made a mistake but if you think the website is wrong you could go ahead and find out?

Like I said the guy in the fourball had received his membership already or at least that was how it was phrased.
    Therefore I would assume it was 2017 which he received so the website would be correct for that membership?
    Even if the website was to be updated for 2018 would 2018 membership be irrelevant anyway?

brady23 wrote: »
    I think Eoghan made a mistake or the guy who told him got it wrong. Why don't you email the Powerscourt to clarify?
    I'd be happy to take the titled "2017 membership" as clarification that Eoghan made a mistake but if you think the website is wrong you could go ahead and find out?

because i don't need to, im not disputing Eoghan. whay don't you call them if you are so concerned

The roll eyes was for the sarcastic attack on Eoghan. Powerscourt have confirmed the website is up to date and membership at the advertised rate with no joining fee is correct. Leasing shares are still allowed subject to availability.

morrga wrote: »
    The roll eyes was for the sarcastic attack on Eoghan. Powerscourt have confirmed the website is up to date and membership at the advertised rate with no joining fee is correct.

i was not sarcastically attacking eoghan
    i believe the lad
    my sarcasm was aimed elsewhere

i believe the lad

"yea Eoghan, you know nothing, what are you talking about" :rolleyes:

i believe the lad

Fair enough if anecdotal evidence is worth more to you than confirmation on the Powerscourts actual membership website then that's your prerogative

My thoughts exactly!

The lad playing with us was not my mate. But I trust his story and he was getting slagged by the captain in the clubhouse after for getting the last cheap share.

Website must be right though, they should tell the Captain.

• Advertisement

Maybe its a case that you can join without a share but that means you run the risk of getting turfed out. Who knows?

The only fact here is that a man on Wednesday bought a share for 6.6k and the next one available is 7.4k.

Advertisement