Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What way will immigration go in the future

Options
  • 12-09-2017 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wanted to start a discussion on what way you think Australia immigration will go, especially with the current government. As someone in love with the place and back two years now, the ambition is too return once I have qualified. Having an Australian partner will hopefully help us relocating back there but who knows what way visas will go in the next few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's no great appetite to change the current system radically. If anything, the Australian system has been held up in other countries - notably the UK and the US - as the kind of system they should consider adopting themselves. To the extent that there is pressure for change, it is to make it more difficult for people to get (or employers to sponsor) temporary work visas.

As you have an Australian partner, you wouldn't be looking for such a visa. You'd apply for permanent resident status on the basis of your marriage to/de facto relationship with an Australian citizen. There's no great likelihood that the availability of permanent residence on this basis will change much any time soon. What might change is the period of time you have to live in Australia as a P.R. before you can become a citizen. Currently it's (I think) two years; there's a proposal to push this out to four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There's no great appetite to change the current system radically. If anything, the Australian system has been held up in other countries - notably the UK and the US - as the kind of system they should consider adopting themselves. To the extent that there is pressure for change, it is to make it more difficult for people to get (or employers to sponsor) temporary work visas.

As you have an Australian partner, you wouldn't be looking for such a visa. You'd apply for permanent resident status on the basis of your marriage to/de facto relationship with an Australian citizen. There's no great likelihood that the availability of permanent residence on this basis will change much any time soon. What might change is the period of time you have to live in Australia as a P.R. before you can become a citizen. Currently it's (I think) two years; there's a proposal to push this out to four years.
    Agree with that definitely. The PR time between citizenship seems to being pushed ahead at the moment. Yes in my own case, all going to plan it will be defacto we apply for or PR for me etc. Would love to see a revamp of the Student visa system to make it more manageable financially etc

Advertisement