Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antenatal appointments

• 13-09-2017 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Have an antenatal app next week and just been told by my manager that I'll only get 4 hours for it.

It takes over an hour to get tout hospital and bank, not including actual time allowed for app.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I was allowed the day for the previous app's. The excuse I'm given is that there is a new clock in system in place.

I've read on citizens information that no maximum or minimum time specified for these app's.

Can someone please advise

Comments

aries17 wrote: »
    Have an antenatal app next week and just been told by my manager that I'll only get 4 hours for it.

It takes over an hour to get tout hospital and bank, not including actual time allowed for app.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I was allowed the day for the previous app's. The excuse I'm given is that there is a new clock in system in place.

I've read on citizens information that no maximum or minimum time specified for these app's.

Can someone please advise

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/before_your_baby_is_born/antenatal_visits.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/before_your_baby_is_born/antenatal_classes.html#lf71d5

If it's for classes, you have no entitlement to paid time off, as it's not your first pregnancy during employment. If it were, you'd have an entitlement for the first 5 of the 8 classes but not for the final 3.

If it's for the care appointments, you shouldn't need more than 4 hours in total, perhaps with the exception of the initial visit.

I assume 'bank' should be 'back', in relation to it taking over an hour to get there and back. 4 hours paid time off is therefore sufficient, allowing 2-2.5 hours maximum for the appointment.

The fact they used to let you have the entire day off is irrelevant. You should not allow yourself to feel you are entitled to more paid time off for these appointments than you actually need. You are not. If you can be there and back in 3 hours, that's all you are entitled to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you get four hours off, do you then get a lunch break? That should give you plenty of time to get back to work for the afternoon.
    If too many people take advantage and take off whole days it could cause discrimination for the next woman of child bearing age applying for a job in that company (I know that's illegal but hard to prove). Only take the time you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

A whole day seems excessive. The appointment should only take about 2/2.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aries17

Thanks guys.

On another note, I've got 2 diff app's in November both in the same week, different days.

Ist is a normal antenatal and 2 days later is for diabetes testing. Never had this done before and midwife said it could take up to 3 hours for this one.

How much time would I be allowed for that?

aries17 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

On another note, I've got 2 diff app's in November both in the same week, different days.

Ist is a normal antenatal and 2 days later is for diabetes testing. Never had this done before and midwife said it could take up to 3 hours for this one.

How much time would I be allowed for that?

You get up to 4 hours paid, according to your companies policy. Very reasonable IMHO.

Why don't you ask for a 9am or 2pm appointment and just take the half day your employer covers? Be there at 9, done by 1pm is 4 hours, back into work for the afternoon from 2pm. Or leave at 1pm, appointment at 2pm and go home from there.

You need to be getting the hospital to work with you on scheduling also. Yes, your employer has an obligation to pay you while you attend these, but you also should be reasonable and fair to them and try to limit any disruption it causes by pushing for appointment slots that make sense where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Just to clarify for my own information.

Were you expecting your employer to give you an entire day off work (paid) to attend a 1 to 2 hour appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

In my work, there isn't a set number of hours off for antenatal appts. However, we're asked to try scheduling them either early or late in the day to avoid as much disruption as possible to the business.

You should try getting 10am or 2/3pm appts, this way you can be in work for at least half the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

4 hours off for a routine 15 minute check with a midwife?? Sounds very generous to me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Wesser wrote: »
    4 hours off for a routine 15 minute check with a midwife?? Sounds very generous to me!!

I was waiting 2 hours for my 15 minute appointment a few weeks ago. Unfortunately our public maternity system isn't exactly efficient when it comes to some hospitals.

Still don't need a whole day off for that though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Wesser wrote: »
    Still don't need a whole day off for that though!!!

Agreed, my point was that 4 hours doesn't seem like loads of time if you take into account waiting time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

People here have clearly never dealt with the maternity system as it currently stands. I've gone in at 2pm to be finished adyer 6pm when I've gone for a routine check. If they want you to see the doctor that's what it takes if you're public in the Rotunda. Even when you just go for the nurse it wouldn't be unusual to wait several hours.

Whatever happens you have to go to your appointment and it takes the time it takes. Get the doctor/midwife to note the time on a letter for you. Any action they take will be viewed very dimly by any employment tribunal if you have it all documented.

If you are running late due to delays by the medical team then I'm.sure the employer will not mind if you ring and say I will actually be 5 hours I will actually be 6 hours. And then bring a note with the time marked on it by the midwife. Abd uf you are held for extra scans etc then for sure. But to expect a whole day off in advance, before any delays have actually arisen is ludicrous ludicrous. Just stay in touch with your employer as the day goes.

Advertisement