Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Alumni Office & Registration: stop the hard sell!

Options
  • 13-09-2017 2:57am

Will these two UCD departments please go away and have that meeting again?

In the past week those of us finishing up, and who are registered to use the libraries and borrow from them until the end of September, have this wall of UCD Alumni Office rubbish every time we log into SIS to book study rooms or the like. Why? Really, why?

There's work to be done but all UCD Registration can do is facilitate these incessant advertisements over the UCD website from UCD Alumni office. Let us get full access to what we need in the library until the end of September and stop treating us like children by playing your stupid self-promoting games that are, as usual, oblivious to student needs. Can you not wait until the end of this month?

You are doing zero to inspire goodwill towards UCD here, and that donation I gave UCD Alumni when you rang me last summer under the pretence of needing to help poor students will be my last one after this latest ill-thought-out hard sell stunt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Just wait until the start ringing asking you to sponsor the animal hospital or get the sob stories about some poor student from Cavan with sick parents who can't afford to send them to college

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

RtD wrote: »
    Just wait until the start ringing asking you to sponsor the animal hospital or get the sob stories about some poor student from Cavan with sick parents who can't afford to send them to college

Just tell them not to spend half a billion renovating perfectly good buildings (which is currently aplan in the works).

UCD focused mainly on the bottom line? Shocked :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Honestly I had to put Ucd numbers on call block because they were incessantly calling looking for donations. They really can't take no for an answer , here's a hint to them if someone tells you they have no money , you need not insist they give you their credit card details!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Surely asking them to remove your contact details from their lists should be enough? I asked them to remove mine and haven't received a call since (touch wood I'm not jinxing it now!)

convert wrote: »
    Surely asking them to remove your contact details from their lists should be enough? I asked them to remove mine and haven't received a call since (touch wood I'm not jinxing it now!)

Yes, I've done that already. I only paid for an Alumni card years ago as you had to pay it to access the library (when I wasn't a registered student). I'd have nothing to do with UCD Alumni only for that new (at the time; you used to be able to get library access without it) requirement.

However, despite removing my details with Alumni, when you want to book a room or anything in the library you are pushed on to a thing called the 'Alumni Portal' after you enter all your SIS details, even though I am still a fully registered student until the end of September with full access to the library and online databases until then.

UCD Registration, in cahoots with the Alumni office, decided they would not let me book a study room or anything else online (although the library will give me a room for the week etc in person), and instead direct me to this stupid 'Alumni Portal', which is basically a massive wall of Alumni office rubbish, each and every time I try to access/book facilities on the UCD website. I want access to facilities in order to wrap this up asap, and UCD instead ask me to support UCD Alumni. In this specific context, just how much goodwill does UCD think I'm going to have towards their begging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Honestly I had to put Ucd numbers on call block because they were incessantly calling looking for donations. They really can't take no for an answer , here's a hint to them if someone tells you they have no money , you need not insist they give you their credit card details!

I did that and got called again repetitively in the following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I did that and got called again repetitively in the following years.

Tell them you're going to report them and see how quickly they move your details. And then report them.....

Advertisement