Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating Life in Limerick?

• 13-09-2017 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey everyone! I'm new to this board (but have lurked off and on over the years). I was just wondering if you all could tell me what dating is like in Limerick. Is it as terrible there as it is here in America? :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

America is an enormous place! I'm sure it ranges dramatically from town to town, city to city, state to state.

Limerick has a great choice restaurants, bars, cafés, 3 cinemas, an art gallery, museums, two theatres, the University Concert Hall, bowling, kayaking, the King John's Castle tour, poetry events, hotels, venues for afternoon tea, close proximity to forests and walking trails, a famous rugby venue, the Gaelic Grounds, the Milk Market, gigs at Dolan's, poetry nights, and I'm sure plenty of other possible options for date locations.

The challenge is always to find someone who you actually want to go on a date with. :P Tinder and Plenty of Fish are popular. OkCupid is a better website but when I was last using it there was nobody else in the Limerick area in my age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmericanMocha

Well actually you'd be surprised that when it comes to dating the same headaches are pretty much universal across the country! LOL Yeah I've heard horror stories about Tinder. I don't use it because here in America it's pretty much known as a hook up site for folks looking for one-night stands or friends with benefits situation. I don't know if it's the same there in Ireland. Yeah POF is also know as a sleazy place as well. I think I've heard some people call OkCupid by another name..they call it "OkStupid" LOL

No one in your age bracket? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?!

I think here where I live (Texas) there are always a high number to choose from but the challenge is finding someone that you have something in common with. So, even in a place with a high population, you still have essentially the same situation and problems that come with it which is finding someone you're compatible with. I'm pretty tired of the fact that the concept of dating in America is becoming an outdated notion. There are tons of people who just do hook ups and not real dating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I am curious to know how a Texan ends up lurking on the Limerick forum of boards.ie? :confused:

I think your dating experience really depends a lot on your gender and age. I'm 34 year old female. Never had any problems getting dates when I was living in Dublin. Moved back to Limerick 5 years ago and have had about 5 dates in that time with a pretty much non existent love life :eek: I've tried POF/OkCupid/Tinder and from a female perspective it can be so draining weeding through the 'I'm horny, sit on my c**k now' first messages. I don't know what it's like for men but I can't imagine they get the same volume of these types of very off-putting message. There's an online dating forum on boards that is a great resource for this type of thing.

I think perhaps a difference between American and Irish style dating is that most women here would wait for men to ask them out. I have no problem asking men on dates but of the three men I have asked on dates in Limerick it all ended very badly, though I suspect this had more to do with the men not being very nice more than anything. Despite what some men say on here, I think Limerick men prefer more submissive females and aren't too keen on direct, confident women. I have very limited experience of dating in Limerick though so what do I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmericanMocha

Hey Panda!
    Well it's kind of a long story about how I ended up lurking here but if you send me a direct message perhaps I could explain :-)

Wow, five dates in as many years sounds tough but don't feel bad because where I live I think I have had plenty of guys who send messages and who are only interested in taking shortcuts and not actual dating if you know what I mean. I actually looked around to see if there was a dating forum but didn't find one so if you could post a link that would be great! Sounds like the men in Limerick are tough guys then? :)

Yeah POF is trash. In years past I met guys from there and it was horrible! LOL One guy was a lot younger than I was and he was primarily interested in hooking up. The other guy I met claimed he was one age but looked about 8-10 years older than what he claimed he was. At the end of the date he kept trying to invite himself back to my place "to watch movies"...nevermind the fact that he showed up to a nice restaurant wearing a track suit, was making passive-aggressive  comments during the date, didn't bother to order dinner because he claimed he had eaten earlier, didn't pay for my dinner (he only paid half the bill) and then proceeded to try to get touchy feely towards the end!!!

Advertisement