Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car import duties from USA

Options
  • 13-09-2017 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, we are importing a classic car from the USA (a total one-off!) and are reeling from the shock of the additional charges, over and above the shipping costs. I've been advised by the brokers the revenue will charge import duty based on the value of the car plus the cost of shipping, which comes to nearly an extra €1k. I knew about duty on the price of the car, but on the shipping costs as well??? Also nearly the same again in docking charges! Just wondering, has anyone else had the same experience...? Any advice welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That's standard; it's not a special rule for cars. Import duties are based on the cost of goods as delivered to port in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

I may be wrong but you may also need to pay VAT (if you're not already including that as an "import duty") on any goods imported.

As an aside (and waaaay off topic!), your shock will be repeated multiple times in the UK post Brexit when the realities of leaving the single market hit them in the face!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You'll be liable for VRT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You need to pay customs + duty, then VAT on top, then VRT on top of that.
    Generally (depending on the price) adds 50% on the top.

PS - in future - import via the UK. They have an exemption for classics. Once it's registered in the UK you can then transfer it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Until 2019 anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 amcd0812

ELM327 wrote: »
    You need to pay customs + duty, then VAT on top, then VRT on top of that.
    Generally (depending on the price) adds 50% on the top.

PS - in future - import via the UK. They have an exemption for classics. Once it's registered in the UK you can then transfer it here.

Thanks for your reply! Can I ask another question, the brokers are calculating the import duty on the statistical price,not the actual price. Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

amcd0812 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply! Can I ask another question, the brokers are calculating the import duty on the statistical price,not the actual price. Is this right?
    No it's on the actual purchase price (you need to show an invoice) plus actual shipping.
    Then you pay the duties and VAT, then you pay VRT after the car has landed. VRT is on the statistical price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 amcd0812

Thanks a million ELM3287. As the car is over 30 years old, my understanding is that the VRT is around €50 or so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

amcd0812 wrote: »
    Thanks a million ELM3287. As the car is over 30 years old, my understanding is that the VRT is around €50 or so...?
    The current rate is €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Peregrinus wrote: »
    That's standard; it's not a special rule for cars. Import duties are based on the cost of goods as delivered to port in Ireland.

I thought that only applied to new goods.

• Advertisement
Advertisement