Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers in classrooms

Options
  • 13-09-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Are schools obliged to provide a laptop/ desktop in classrooms? Or can the teacher be expected to bring his/ her own device?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

ngunners wrote: »
    Are schools obliged to provide a laptop/ desktop in classrooms? Or can the teacher be expected to bring his/ her own device?
    I would say no to both, though I'm open to correction. I don't think schools are obliged to provide a computer in a classroom but I also don't think a school can compel a teacher to use one unless one is provided (and even then, I'd question it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We all have to bring our own here, never been given one from school, must have them to do VS ware for rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Schools have no obligation to give laptops to teachers. How would a school track/control use/ be responsible for repairs??
    You might also note you have a tax credit for your teaching work. Computers were included as part of that as far back as 2002 when they cost an arm and a leg and the unions negotiated a rise in this credit to take account of teachers purchasing computers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Schools have no obligation to give laptops to teachers. How would a school track/control use/ be responsible for repairs??
    You might also note you have a tax credit for your teaching work. Computers were included as part of that as far back as 2002 when they cost an arm and a leg and the unions negotiated a rise in this credit to take account of teachers purchasing computers.

Do you mean the 518 euro flat rate expenses?
    I see no tax credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don't know of many jobs except teaching which nowadays require a laptop to do the work but expect you to provide it yourself. Having said that getting your own is the norm in any school I've worked in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

Most of the boys/girls probably know more than the teacher when it comes to finding your way around a PC/iPad.

The teachers are too busy teaching "Irish" or "Religion" or Catechism as it was in my day.

spurious wrote: »
    Do you mean the 518 euro flat rate expenses?
    I see no tax credit.

Inbuilt from 2002 as a result of strike settlement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't know of many jobs except teaching which nowadays require a laptop to do the work but expect you to provide it yourself. Having said that getting your own is the norm in any school I've worked in

No obligation but many schools do . The laptop remains the property of the school and the teacher must sign an AUP usually .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Inbuilt from 2002 as a result of strike settlement.

I don't understand that. So, if I'm not working as a teacher this year they take this credit off me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

All secondary schools got grant for comp and projector in every classroom bout 5 yrs ago, if you don't have one is question where money went as schools were obliged to have them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

solerina wrote: »
    We all have to bring our own here, never been given one from school, must have them to do VS ware for rolls.

This is astounding. Mary Coughlan provided a grant in 2010/11 for a laptop and data projector in EVERY CLASSROOM! What happened this?

If you must have them to do vs ware then they should be provided. Can you imagine council workers buying there own tools to do work? Clerical officers buying their own computers because they have to use them?

If I was in your school and in a Union I wouldn't do it unless it was provided to me. I know we all pay extra all the time but that's taking the piss

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Many 2011 computers have given up the ghost , as have the projectors . Primary did get a grant last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

Many 2011 computers have given up the ghost , as have the projectors . Primary did get a grant last year .

Yeah but the poster said they never had computers. That's strange. What was the money spent on?

spurious wrote: »
    I don't understand that. So, if I'm not working as a teacher this year they take this credit off me?

Yes. This is a tax free credit for working teachers, not an extra entitlement for paye workers.
    Before 2002, if I recall correctly, there was a tax credit of about 250 punts for a work allowance, books, clothing etc. Following dispute settlement, it was more than doubled to take account of teachers who wished to buy computers / IT.
    I recall Revenue stating that this was one allowance casual teachers often did not claim as relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

doc_17 wrote: »
    Yeah but the poster said they never had computers. That's strange. What was the money spent on?

No idea what it was spent on, we did get interactive white boards, so maybe all of it went on them, although no one has a ever used the interactive bit, they are solely used as white boards, we did argue at the once that regular white boards would be fine and that we could do with lap tops, but no lap tops appeared. We use our own PC or phone for VS ware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

This annoys me too! Happening in my school and we've switched to vsware this year. Mgt made a big deal at the fire drill at the start of the yr re taking roll but one of the rooms in in the pc doesn't work at all and in the other room the mouse wasn't working though that did get sorted last week
    But the problem with the initial grant was it meant schools bulk bought a huge amount of Technology that will inevitably all start failing around the same time - how will schools overcome that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

This annoys me too! Happening in my school and we've switched to vsware this year. Mgt made a big deal at the fire drill at the start of the yr re taking roll but one of the rooms in in the pc doesn't work at all and in the other room the mouse wasn't working though that did get sorted last week
    But the problem with the initial grant was it meant schools bulk bought a huge amount of Technology that will inevitably all start failing around the same time - how will schools overcome that?

The new funding model allows for a certain amount of money each year for a a few years. To be fair to the DES they're trying to get away from the boom bust cycle in ICT.

so many schools bought, say, 50 iPads that are now defunct or getting defunct which will cost a whole load of money to replace.

I don't think staff should use their own devices in school at all. If the school value ict etc they should put their money where their mouth is and buy stuff. Your personal stuff and work stuff should be kept separate or at least be capable of being kept separate.

Advertisement