Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I make a change

Options
  • 13-09-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking for some advice on a job offer.

Currently working in a large IT multinational with good pay and lots of freedom and relaxed starting and finishing times, only issue is on call 24/7 for at least 26 weeks out of the year.

I've been offered another position is a smaller but still a large multinational company.

The pay is slightly less but with no on call expectations and a city centre location.

My problem is I'm fairly comfortable, well respected and generally have it easy going were I currently am and afraid things may not be as comfortable in the new company (Glassdoor reviews actually indicate it's fine)
    Also job security isn't as great but it's still a large multinational so should be fine.

From a skills development perspective, the new position will certainly introduce me to new technologies, systems and challenge me to improve my skill set.

So basically I have an easy going secure job and afraid to move on in fear ending up in a less comfortable position.

I also don't like the idea of been back in a 6 month probation period.

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Jobadvice wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking for some advice on a job offer.

Currently working in a large IT multinational with good pay and lots of freedom and relaxed starting and finishing times, only issue is on call 24/7 for at least 26 weeks out of the year.

I've been offered another position is a smaller but still a large multinational company.

The pay is slightly less but with no on call expectations and a city centre location.

My problem is I'm fairly comfortable, well respected and generally have it easy going were I currently am and afraid things may not be as comfortable in the new company (Glassdoor reviews actually indicate it's fine)
    Also job security isn't as great but it's still a large multinational so should be fine.

From a skills development perspective, the new position will certainly introduce me to new technologies, systems and challenge me to improve my skill set.

So basically I have an easy going secure job and afraid to move on in fear ending up in a less comfortable position.

I also don't like the idea of been back in a 6 month probation period.

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated!

How much work is the on call? Do you have to leave house or can you do the work from home?
    If the on call isn't too hard I'd probably stay where you are. Interested to see others opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Depends on what you want and what suits your life at the minute. If you're at a point in you career where you want to/need to upskill then in my experience moving is the best thing to do, especially in I.T.

If it isn't a massive requirement for you right now then your current position might well be fine for now. Does your employer provide an allowance for certification or training?

I moved jobs 2 years ago to get experience which was great but the environment was horrendous. Before 6 months was up I was already looking for a new job. Within a year of starting there I had another job which thankfully is pleasant and offers certifications and training.

Only you will know what's most important to you.

Advertisement