Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social media influencers bragging ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Maybe she loves Christmas and is excited it's almost time to start preparing? I don't think her love of Xmas is a secret considering the vast amount of advent calendars she has. She always snaps on a Saturday when she's shopping with her sister, sometimes it's pennies, or boots or tkmaxx. I don't particularly like Christmas and wouldn't be into looking at santas in November but clearly she is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think part of it though was shopping for decorations as props for videos and photos. I’d imagine it takes a while to filter that through to her blog. Eg she could take Christmassy photos this weekend for a post to feature next month. Also many bloggers get Xmas gift sets sent out to them in the hope they will be featured before the season begins. Unfortunately the Xmas stuff is in the shops earlier each year and there’s probably little point in blogging about it nearer Christmas when all the good stuff is gone from the shops. But personally I don’t think about Xmas until at least the start of Dec so I have tapped through the Xmassy snaps and will hold off reading Xmas posts and videos until nearer the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Not sure where to post this as our "bloggers releasing products" thread was closed- but Pippa will be unveiling her new collection today at 6pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Maybe she loves Christmas and is excited it's almost time to start preparing? I don't think her love of Xmas is a secret considering the vast amount of advent calendars she has. She always snaps on a Saturday when she's shopping with her sister, sometimes it's pennies, or boots or tkmaxx. I don't particularly like Christmas and wouldn't be into looking at santas in November but clearly she is

Yes, and I generally like the Saturday snaps, but the haring out to Newlands Cross to Xmas Planet isn't as enjoyable as the pottering about with her sister & mam on a regular Saturday, imo.

I know but sure look, she should spend her days off doing what she enjoys, and not love her life worrying if it's what we want to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

anna080 wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this as our "bloggers releasing products" thread was closed- but Pippa will be unveiling her new collection today at 6pm!

A €45 planner and €50 candles. I think I'll pass.......

LOL ah pippa :D
    She's no jo malone

ciaradx wrote: »
    A €45 planner and €50 candles. I think I'll pass.......

Notions! The pricing is mad.
    I thought by the way the video started it was going to be jewellery because it zoomed in on some random ring. How wrong I was.
    I'm sure they'll sell out though, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

That pricing is crazy. Sure Jo Malone candles are around 45 euro in the airport and just over 50 normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Where did she show them? are they like those happiness planners, they costs a lot for what they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

anna080 wrote: »
    A twelve month planner at a cost of €45 and some candles costing €50.

Saw this on Facebook.

A twelve month planner at a cost of €45 and some candles costing €50.

Saw this on Facebook.

The prices are a joke but I've no doubt she has the market for them. TBH I'm disappointed I had high hopes for the collection... I thought it was going to be a loungwear line with cashmere bits.. I'm not at all into stationary I don't have the patience for planners- and if I was spending €50 on a candle (never would) it would be Jo Malone.

There's a lot of people on her Instagram page asking her to reconsider the pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Where did she announce or launch them? I can’t find anything about the products on Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat!

muggles wrote: »
    Where did she announce or launch them? I can’t find anything about the products on Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat!

She has a separate business page it's called "Pippa collection".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Here it is!

http://goss.ie/featured/watch-pippa-oconnor-finally-reveals-new-pippa-collection-113613

I think 30e would have been a good price point for a luxury candle from an influencer, her prices are way off, not impressed at all.

I also thought she didn't present the scents very well, kind of repeating herself a bit, given the cost of them I expected a better sales pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I'm actually quite surprised (in a good way), at the amount of comments saying the price is too high. I'd say definitely more than half saying 50e is way too much. Then there's the usual "need!", "I want them all!" and of course the ever present " these look devine !!want!!" It's DIVINE not DEVINE😈😈

Very shocked that so many are vocal about the price. I thought most would buy anything she sold no matter what the price. I wonder will she lower it or just continue on and act like nothing is happening? Charging €50 is just plain greedy, sorry.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I'm actually quite surprised (in a good way), at the amount of comments saying the price is too high. I'd say definitely more than half saying 50e is way too much. Then there's the usual "need!", "I want them all!" and of course the ever present " these look devine !!want!!" It's DIVINE not DEVINE😈😈

If she's selling them at the Poco pop up I doubt they'll sell well. Imagine buying a pair of jeans and a candle and you've €150 spent already before you even look at anything else. *faints*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Guys, this thread is about bragging, per the title. Please stay on topic.

If only we had a thread where we could discuss bloggers realising products :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've totally bought every scent of her candles, twice. I'll probably light them all at the same time and then buy more, cause, you know, I can afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The Pippa tickets sold out straight away, 3 days!
    No wonder she’s thrilled with herself.
    So sue me’s new revamped show with that Mark Benefit guy are still available. Which doesn’t sound like much anyway, though they never are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Apologies in advance if this doesn't fit here. I only stuck it in because the bloggers releasing products was closed.

I just saw this video pop up on my twitter timeline. I don't follow either Zoella or Jack Maate but I thought I'd share in case any one is thinking of spending €65 (£50 in the UK) advent calendar :eek:

I normally treat myself to a decent advent calendar which can be a bit pricey, but at least I get decent size samples. This really takes the biscuit and I feel sorry for parents who might be pressurised into buying it because it has Zoella's name on it.

That's an absolute joke! It's not even worth 20 euro, let alone 65!!
    Especially compared to all the full advent calendars out this year for similar prices with much more stuff inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

I saw a similar video by someone else reviewing that calendar a few weeks ago. I cant see any teenager wanting that calandar if what you get inside is comparable to buying a selection of things from Penney’s/Dealz for a lot cheaper, even if it does have Zoella branding all over it. I’ve seen Zoella’s Christmas selection products in Boots in their gifts section and the products are way overpriced for what you get and they look pretty generic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

€65 for glitter and stickers!! That's shocking. As he says in the video- how does she sleep at night? Poor parents buying this tripe.

GingerLily wrote: »

"This product is restricted to 3 per customer"

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

That video is hilarious. Seriously thought. That’s appalling. She should be ashamed.

The guy in that video is hilarious :D
    That's the best way to approach it. Just rip the piss and show her up for the money grabber she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

That guy is brilliant. You'd have to wonder how she can stand over something so cheap with such a high price tag. I don't know much about Zoella but she seems to have a very young following. I feel sorry for parents whose kids would be asking for something like this.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    That guy is brilliant. You'd have to wonder how she can stand over something so cheap with such a high price tag. I don't know much about Zoella but she seems to have a very young following. I feel sorry for parents whose kids would be asking for something like this.

What's the bet she'll say there was a mix up with the contents or something ****e like that. I would never be a bloggers fault that their product is a load of crap and a waste of money

http://www.dailyedge.ie/zoella-3696042-Nov2017/

Daily edge reporting on it too now

I wonder did they pick up on it here #inspiration :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Fairy ain't gonna change one little bit judging by the pic on her insta stories. It's a pic of "her" lying on a beach in a black bikini. If anyone thinks it's a real photo of her they're downright stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Re: Zoella.
    If you put your name to something then the buck stops with you. She knew exactly what was in that and signed off on it and because that excuse is falling flat I'm seeing now she's claiming she can't control the price. How exactly is that possible? Has she signed over the rights to her face and name to a third party for which she has zero involvement or control?
    And lets be honest, €20 for that piece of **** is too much, let alone €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I read about that product from this thread, and actually cannot believe the cheek of her to price it like that. The thing would be an insult to receive as a gift! Utter rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Looks like they've bowed to pressure and reduced it to half price.

Still too expensive.

For what you get and the quality, 100% agree.

Her response is total BS. You can't claim to be a successful businesswoman, with your own brand, on one hand and then when the crap hits the fan, claim you have no control over it.
    Even if people did buy her story of not controlling the price point, the stuff given in it was pure muck and aimed to make as much money as possible with low quality crap. The notebook and pen being in separate windows is just summing it up really, a ****ty bauble thing and a furry keychain, and two tiny cookie cutters you could buy in IKEA for 50p.
    Like the guy in that video said "if you smell the candle carefully, you can smell the exploitation of young children"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Looks like they've bowed to pressure and reduced it to half price.

Still too expensive.
    Is that just Boots offer if the week though?

Plus, if they can sell it at that they're still making a profit, shows you how much they were making before the half price offer.

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »
    Is that just Boots offer if the week though?

Doesn't look like it. Seems like they have dropped the price because of the backlash.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/boots-zoella-advent-calender-price-cut-half-12-door-youtube-star-fans-criticism-a8056006.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Dealz had a post on facebook, it had zoella's calender on one side and all their products that are similar on the opposite side. It had a price comparision and everything

Very good :D

23559765_1534374056645523_5084747138418194345_n.jpg?oh=99a1b4c0885ccb15da51ccc677cdc341&oe=5AADEFC1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The Dealz one actually looks much nicer!

It really does

I'm guessing Joanne is reading these threads because she's talking about people hating filters. Does she not get it. She's trying to promote herself / product du jour and you need to be able to communicate and look professional. Imagine if the doctors in CHI who use FaceTime used filters to talk to their patients. One or two filters is grand but she uses them constantly. Which is a whole other matter for a beauty blogger - it means we can't accurately see because she distorting the image. It's so annoying listening to anyone with those high pitched filters and for some people, it's really difficult to hear at that range.

Also the UPS and the reason why Snapchat was created was so that the images would disappear into the ether after x amount of seconds. It was not for filters. This just further cements in my mind that she's not a professional or mature. Professional to me is someone like Pippa. Pippa comes across as more authentic and even if you don't like her products, she showcases them beautifully.

I messaged her one day after she'd done a makeup look...all with filters. I messaged her and said that as a beauty blogger and skincare promoter it would be nice to see less filters so we could see how she looked naturally. She snapped back saying she was a "lifestyle blogger" and that filters were fun and what Snapchat was all about.

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm guessing Joanne is reading these threads because she's talking about people hating filters. Does she not get it. She's trying to promote herself / product du jour and you need to be able to communicate and look professional. Imagine if the doctors in CHI who use FaceTime used filters to talk to their patients. One or two filters is grand but she uses them constantly. Which is a whole other matter for a beauty blogger - it means we can't accurately see because she distorting the image. It's so annoying listening to anyone with those high pitched filters and for some people, it's really difficult to hear at that range.

Also the UPS and the reason why Snapchat was created was so that the images would disappear into the ether after x amount of seconds. It was not for filters. This just further cements in my mind that she's not a professional or mature. Professional to me is someone like Pippa. Pippa comes across as more authentic and even if you don't like her products, she showcases them beautifully.
    Can I just state for the record that I'm haven't posted on the reddit page at all, I've still to sign up. I've just read it now and there's a post that's so similar to this, so I hope that person doesn't think I was copying them. Great minds!

Also, I just watched Laura's Views video on buying followers and altering images on Instagram. Could not agree with her more. Fair play to her for speaking out so passionately about it.

You'd nearly forgive her for the Snapchat filers if you could see what she looked like on other platforms. But ya can't. It's the same heavily edited (photoshopped) overly filtered business on all of her social media platforms. She should just come out and say she's insecure about how she looks and relies on them too much, we all know it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement