Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social media influencers bragging ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Tbh I thought that they weren't allow discuss her on the page coz of threats of legal action from MUF.... not sure if it's true but I think she's done that a few times so maybe that's why admin won't allow her to be discussed there? As in it's more trouble than it's worth.... Like I said I don't know if that is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me. I also don't think it should be considered unusual to snap yourself withiut a filter, especially if you are brand ambassador for a skincare brand, like is that not a fairly basic requirement? No point if we can't ser your real skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She has lovely skin. Really clear and healthy looking.

Yeah it looked in good shape like, no need at all for all the filters and facetune at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

She has lovely skin and her body is unreal, I was so sad when she said "well I'm still an 8-10 I'm just a squishy 8-10 now" and feels like she has to wear baggy clothes the way she is now. sure she still looks fab!

I feel a bit mean here, but I can't be the only one getting sick of hearing about her size? Like she's done extremely well in shedding weight and has a great figure, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about it. Sorry if that seems bitchy, but it just reminds me girls who say they are fat when they are tiny/smaller than you and they know it.

She has lovely skin and her body is unreal, I was so sad when she said "well I'm still an 8-10 I'm just a squishy 8-10 now" and feels like she has to wear baggy clothes the way she is now. sure she still looks fab!

Yea sure we all go through those phases. Some days I'm squishier than others. I try not to be so hard on myself though and just get on with it. If anything her body is just trying to get back to some kind of normalcy after the prep so by right she should be seeing changes. I feel like she just has such unrealistic expectations of herself and gets annoyed at her body when it doesn't do what she wants

Anna, that's exactly it! I feel anyway. TBH I don't think the amount of editing to her pics helps, I actually think she has almost lost sight of how she really looks, and gets upset when she isn't the same as the filtered version of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Ray37 wrote: »
    I feel a bit mean here, but I can't be the only one getting sick of hearing about her size? Like she's done extremely well in shedding weight and has a great figure, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about it. Sorry if that seems bitchy, but it just reminds me girls who say they are fat when they are tiny/smaller than you and they know it.

As you know, I am not her biggest fan, but I think she genuinely does feel like that. I am a couple of sizes smaller than her and there are times when I really do feel like the biggest person ever, but I've had an eating disorder in the past. I think she has major body image issues and an unhealthy relationship with food. I agree that constantly talking about her weight is of no benefit to her though. It feeds into the obsession.

She also just posted that she has a massive hang up re; her hair as she lost a lot of it after a childhood illness. She seems really low at the moment. I hope she has good support.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I can relate to her (now bear in mind I'm old and decrepit and in my forties)

When I was a teenager, I was one of those teenagers who was just a bit of a lump. I was also a terrible tomboy and a bit of a nerd.

Then when I hit 19/20, weight fell off me and ever since I've been a size 8-10 (I've stuff from 4-16, the 16 stuff being vintage)

It was never really a thing to me, but all my adult life I've people commenting on my weight, from "you are so slight, I can't believe you sail, to "you're such a skinny bitch, makes me sick to see you eat that much"

If she's put the time and effort over years to loose a pile of weight and at the same time built a brand (which afaics she has) the two are inextricably linked.

If meeting her OH is as a consequence of that, then all of her self belief is in the "new" her, and anything that disrupts that will cause her to be upset.

As a comparison I don't wear skinny jeans, as I look malnourished in them, despite being fit, healthy and active.

She's the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think it's quite clear how she sees herself is very different to how she looks. I don't feel comfortable discussing her body anymore to be honest. I'm not contributing towards anyone feeling that crap about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

I think it's quite clear how she sees herself is very different to how she looks. I don't feel comfortable discussing her body anymore to be honest. I'm not contributing towards anyone feeling that crap about themselves.

You're right, Lexie. We should all just drop it. Even if it's to be nice about her appearance.

I do think she has done amazingly well dropping weight, and she was still very pretty before she lost it too. It was cool to see someone who wasn't teeny tiny on the Irish blogging scene. Fair play to her on how far she's come anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't like commenting on people's weight either, some of my friends are going through situations like this and it's so frustrating to watch.

No harm on complimenting someone when they're looking well, but it's easy to remove any reference to weight/ size from the comments........

I'm more than happy for anything of mine to be deleted if anyone thinks it may have been upsetting or anything, wouldn't be my intention so please feel free to remove if needed :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

blairbear wrote: »
    You're right, Lexie. We should all just drop it. Even if it's to be nice about her appearance.

I'd agree with this, despite having opposite concerns there are situations where I dress so I don't look "like a skinny bitch" due to the reaction I'll get.

And when I do I don't get any reaction.

Failing to respond to her will have the same result.

Let her be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Just seeing her snaps there now and honestly I feel sorry for her. She said "she is no one to aspire to", my god, she's built a business, done amazingly well with her weight, she is exceptionally harsh on herself and she really doesn't need to be.

I felt so bad for her when she said that. Like another poster said, I hope she has good support over there, it sounds like she could really do with it now.

I'm not her biggest fan, but I hate to see or hear of anyone speak about themselves like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

It's quite refreshing to see her stripped back, honest and up-front. She just needs to be less harsh on herself. Nobody's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

MUF's snaps this morning are just... wow. The emotion in her voice is heartbreaking. You really have to admire her strength to come on and speak about something so personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Haven't seen her snaps this morning but the ones last night about her hair really struck a cord with me. I, too, have huge hang ups about my hair. Its thin and wispy and I've been wearing some form of extensions for the last 11 years or so (I'm 26).

I also felt really sorry for her but found her so much more relatable than "Where should me and my new bf go for our 12th holiday this year?". Not saying I enjoy seeing her upset cause shes clearly in a low place and it isn't nice to see anyone like that, but even so, it showed a human side to her that very rarely comes out.

I agree with others that I hope she has good support. I'm normally of the opinion that her mum is a bit of a wagon but I think she could really do with spending a few days at home with her family now.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I have a complete newfound respect for MUF now after watching her snaps. She was obviously going through something so personal which made her so self conscious for over a decade and I genuinely feel for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Wow. Huge respect for her for getting all that of her chest. Must have been so hard, you can see how hard it was for her! I even got upset watching! And as hard as it was I think she will be a new person because of it. A weight lifted of her shoulders. I think alot of her issues probably come from that one issue and now that she has talked about it hopefully all the other will go! I really think this will be the making of her and I hope she owns it!
    Good for you Joanne if your reading this, I wish I had the balls to be honest like that!!

Ah Jesus god love her. Not gonna lie I welled up watching her snaps. Fair play to her. She was the most honest I've ever seen her. I understand her more now and appreciate all she had to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

anna080 wrote: »
    Ah Jesus god love her. Not gonna lie I welled up watching her snaps. Fair play to her. She was the most honest I've ever seen her. I understand her more now and appreciate all she had to go through.

I was actually crying watching the snaps. I feel like this could be cathartic for her. She’s been holding that in for over a decade and she’s been hiding it from everyone. God love her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BasicBetty

i don't think it helps that people seem to come down hard on her on places like forums and that galz page, where they've had to ban any mention of her because people were so unbelievably weird with their comments.

No, people were giving out how much she is photoshopping her images and afaik she messaged the page threatening legal actions so all mention of her was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I am a fellow hair extension addict after I lost a load of hair when I had my daughter at 20. I was left with extremely thin hair and have been wearing some kind of hair extensions since ....for well over ten years. It's something I hide from everyone as I don't really like to discuss it with anyone and feel that people are a bit judgemental if they know you get extensions.

I really feel for Joanne being in the public eye I can only imagine how hard it is to conceal that. Her snaps really hit home with me and I don't have anywhere near the level of loss she seems to have. My heart went out to her and I cried watching those snaps as a lot of it hit home to me as well.

It just goes to show you never know what is going on behind closed doors no matter how many snaps you watch, how many insta stories you see, how many pictures you look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Felt so sorry for Joanne and found her so much more relatable all followers want is honesty .. I think if from here she dials back on the photo shopping show her life as it is she will gain back the respect she had when she started out ,,
    It’s sad because she was becoming a joke to people due to the filtering pretending everything was perfect abd threatening legal action for the least thing ..
    Nice to see a different side to her I hope she realises how brave she’s been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

BasicBetty wrote: »
    No, people were giving out how much she is photoshopping her images and afaik she messaged the page threatening legal actions so all mention of her was banned.

There was more than that. Comments on her lips was happening when they banned it altogether.

That gals who snap are just a group of very unhappy women bullying some women and idolising certain ones. It's fine to dissect some women's looks partners family lifestyle etc but absolute war if you so much as disagree with the likes of something Claire balding said. God forbid you said you didn't find her funny but think someone else is ugly? That's ok

• Advertisement

My biggest problem with Jo used to be the photoshopping and altering images- but I see her in a new light now and I kind of get it. When you break it down she's actually a really sweet girl. There are other bloggers out there who create controversy for content, but she stays out of this and I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad word about anyone. In a way she has been her own worst enemy but sure look we all have our ways of dealing with things. She seems really naive. I hope she feels a weight lifted and can start being herself more because I saw the real her this morning and she was absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

My biggest problem with Jo used to be the photoshopping and altering images- but I see her in a new light now and I kind of get it. When you break it down she's actually a really sweet girl. There are other bloggers out there who create controversy for content, but she stays out of this and I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad word about anyone. In a way she has been her own worst enemy but sure look we all have our ways of dealing with things. She seems really naive. I hope she feels a weight lifted and can start being herself more because I saw the real her this morning and she was absolutely lovely.

Genuine question but why has it taken a breakdown from the girl to see that?

I wouldn't be a big fan but have always thought she comes across very sweet. It's just a pity the snaps this morning have made people realise this. Yes she photo shops but I've always thought she comes across real on SC, she doesn't use filters all the time.

Is this what makes people seem real to others? Can people not just be nice in general without having to show such a vulnerable side?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

I followed her from the beginning used to love her until all this no disclosure and filtering ,threatening legal action telling followers to take pics they put up down .. today I hope is the start of the old Joanne honest and relatable

frogstar wrote: »
    Genuine question but why had it taken a breakdown from the girl to see that?

I wouldn't be a big fan but have always thought she comes across very sweet. It's just a pity the snaps this morning have made people realise this. Yes he photo shops but I've always thought she comes across real on SC, she doesn't use filters all the time.

Is this what makes people seem real to others? Can people not just be nice on general?

It has taken this morning to make me understand certain behaviours of hers and decisions she makes. My post probably didn't get that across. I've always said she was decent and a sweetheart.

No it does. I'm just a little surprised that everyone now seems to have a different opinion on her. I suppose we all want to relate and maybe this it what it took

Like another poster said I didn't realise how common female hair loss is and shocked at how many have been getting extensions for over 10years. I really only thought extensions took off in the last three years. Seems to be a big lack of awareness out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think she was very brave and honest what she did last night and this morning. It certainly explains a lot about her body issues and the overuse of filters.

That said, I honestly don't think she should have opened up like that. Any perceived slight (and to be honest she seems to be hyper sensitive about some comments and I'm not talk about obviously hateful or trollish comments) might set her back a good bit. I'm afraid that she might be using Paul too much as a crutch. She mentioned that someone sent her a message that Paul was just using her for followers (which I think is a fair comment as that is how it kinda comes across at times) but that she heavily relies on him to quietly tell her or text her if something is out of place. It can be a fine line between helpful and reliant.

Any way, I've never ever noticed anything about her hair other than it looks really nice and healthy looking. I was so happy when she changed back from blonde to brunette as it really suits her.

I really hope she's getting professional help and I wish her the very best.

Poor girl I was genuinely sad watching her this morning. She's a strong girl. Just hope she has good people around her to take care of her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I wouldn't say it has changed my opinion of her but I do relate and understand her on a better level than before. I now understand why she edits and filters everything, why she denied having her lips done and using sunbeds, and why she's so defensive.

As I said before I also have very poor quality hair, it wasn't caused by illness so I suppose I'm lucky in that sense but it has been a big source of insecurity over the years. I started with clip in rows of extensions when I was 15, I actually got them just to wear to a disco but within a couple of weeks I wouldn't leave my bedroom without them. I've had bonded extensions for the last 4 years, I keep saying I'll take a few months break after my next set and leave my hair natural but as soon as I have them out, I end up getting them back in the same day.
    I can't go swimming, I can't get head massages, and it costs me a fortune (no freebies here, circa €800 twice a year) but its worth it for my confidence.

I didn't enjoy seeing her so upset but I did empathise with her on a level I never have before. It was also so lovely to see her without filters, she really doesn't need them, she has a lovely face.
    Her "curated content" of heavily edited posed photos showing a body I couldn't achieve in my wildest dreams, and going on holidays every other week showed a lifestyle that I couldn't connect with.

She is so hard on herself. I still don't agree with her lack of disclosure and selling of gifted items, as nice as she made Paul sound on her story this morning I still think she over features him. But if she showed more "real talk" like this morning I think a lot of people who have been critical of her won't be able to help themselves but to warm to her. I know I did this morning. It'll benefit her in the long run, both mentally and professionally.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's fair for anyone to message her to say paul is using her

As they say with every relationship, nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Thats just mean to send the girl a message like that

I think it all depends on how it was worded. If it was a general "your boyfriend is a user" that is mean and nasty. However if it was out of worry that her boyfriend is heavily featured in her social media and it's not reciprocated, may be it was meant with good intentions and meant as feedback. I know I've stop checking her snaps because he was in them so much and I don't read the Instagram pics that feature him. Her brand is her - she is the Makeup Fairy. It's the same with Grace, I ditched her snapchat because of all the Sienna snaps.

BTW, I'd never send any unsolicited messages to bloggers about this topic. I just quietly slip away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

I have previously not been her biggest fan, nor will i be after her snaps today, but my opinion of her has changed dramatically.
    Fair f***ing play to her. I believe every single word she said, and now we know why Joanne is so self conscious, why she edits all her photos, why we rarely see her in a no makeup no filter post. She is a vulnerable woman with hangups and insecurities like many of us. I feel really sorry for her losing her hair, for a woman its a terrible terrible thing (and man of course, but we wont go there).
    What she said about Paul, i believe 100%, and i dont agree with another poster before me saying she shouldnt lean on him for it/because of it. Is that not what your partner is for? What a guy if thats what he does for her, because he knows its her biggest weakness/fear (the whole texting or subtly fixing her hair). And his reaction when she told him, more or less 'stop, ill love you no matter what, wig and all). To me, thats love right there. My opinion of him has also changed after hearing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Yeah I really felt for her this morning, I think everyone can relate in some way to her with insecurities.

In relation to Paul, I don’t think he is using her just for followers, I think that’s excessive considering she doesn’t seem to be even well known in the UK. I think he over uses her social media because maybe he sees hers as being more personal. It isn’t done visa versa because his following is probably just fitness related. That being said, I think they need to see that he needs to reign it in. I personally don’t watch her snaps if I think he is going to start a rant etc. He is harming her business IMO.

mel123 wrote: »
    I have previously not been her biggest fan, nor will i be after her snaps today, but my opinion of her has changed dramatically.
    Fair f***ing play to her. I believe every single word she said, and now we know why Joanne is so self conscious, why she edits all her photos, why we rarely see her in a no makeup no filter post. She is a vulnerable woman with hangups and insecurities like many of us. I feel really sorry for her losing her hair, for a woman its a terrible terrible thing (and man of course, but we wont go there).
    What she said about Paul, i believe 100%, and i dont agree with another poster before me saying she shouldnt lean on him for it/because of it. Is that not what your partner is for? What a guy if thats what he does for her, because he knows its her biggest weakness/fear (the whole texting or subtly fixing her hair). And his reaction when she told him, more or less 'stop, ill love you no matter what, wig and all). To me, thats love right there. My opinion of him has also changed after hearing that.
    I wasn't saying she shouldn't lean on him but I worry that she'll become too reliant on him because she comes across as extremely vulnerable.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

As much as I might give out here about some, I'd never go out of my way to send one of them a nasty or mean message. If I have an issue about the whole #ad thing, I report it to the ASAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm by no means heartless and don't like to see anyone upset but my opinion hasn't changed on her.

I don't find her at all relatable. She started off by asking people not to screenshot her.
    Sorry, what?

Firstly yes it's bizarre to screenshot anyone but by asking people not to you're making out like you're some celebrity who doesn't want to be papped, which in turn makes you look up yourself.

Her handle is 'themakeupfairy' yet I rarely see any makeup related posts; it's all about her fella and her fitness and her ability to afford things most people can't and showing off.

She is the only Snapchatter I am aware of who is so unrelatable and distant from people.
    She loves to show people all the praising messages and sorry but that's narcisstic and it's a quality I can't stand in a person.

I also think it's sad that she can't be upfront and honest with her followers regarding her obvious lip enhancements.

So yeah, sorry to hear she was upset but it won't change my opinion on her.

To Ben fair to her she gets screen shot a lot when she's ranting or upset and those photos are uploaded and used to laugh at her on online groups, I've seen it happen. I thought it was sad she'd have to address grown ups not to use this moment to mock her online. Some things shouldn't need to be said. That's one of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement