Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social media influencers bragging ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think with every influencer you'll have 3 types of people with an opinion. The hardcore fans, the people who take things at face value and those who absolutely cannot stand the person in question. She started off her chat having to ask people not to screen grab her crying, so there's no doubt she knows already there are people out there who don't like her, who won't understand and who would be nasty enough to use that clip to try tear her down. Never the less, she continued to speak about something that clearly traumatised her and that she's still extremely cut up about.

I think different things affect different people. People can cope with different traumas depending on their strengths or weaknesses. What's beyond important to one may not be important to another but at the end of the day you can only choose how you are affected or how you respond when it happens to you. If you're not overly bothered that your hair has fallen out, that's great but you don't get to dictate how everyone else feels if it happens to them. I think that video was relatable because a lot of women can understand why she'd feel so vulnerable with huge amounts of her hair missing.

That said, I do think people are unusually harsh on her. No wonder she feels like she needs to be so perfect all the time. It wasn't so long ago some sad case on instagram or twitter went trawling through her old photos to find one of her with pale skin and used it to try shame her publicly for not having naturally sallow skin. She's clearly a girl with a lot of issues and of course there's going to be people there waiting to pounce. Is it any wonder she doesn't want people taking pics of her when her self confidence isn't exactly high and you have people waiting for something to pick at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

That said, I do think people are unusually harsh on her. No wonder she feels like she needs to be so perfect all the time. It wasn't so long ago some sad case on instagram or twitter went trawling through her old photos to find one of her with pale skin and used it to try shame her publicly for not having naturally sallow skin. She's clearly a girl with a lot of issues and of course there's going to be people there waiting to pounce. Is it any wonder she doesn't want people taking pics of her when her self confidence isn't exactly high and you have people waiting for something to pick at?

Oh would you stop. You know that was me. And what I asked her was to explain why she said she's always had naturally sallow skin when it was obvious she was lying. I wasn't trying to shame her because she doesn't have sallow skin. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Let's not reopen #tangate :o

She admitted to doing sunbeds before and got loads of abuse about it. If she wants to continue to do them then that's her business, but it's insane to claim you're naturally tanned all year round when you're not.

Same way she claimed for years she didn't have lip fillers. I don't understand the need to lie.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Maybe she's using sunbeds but wants to keep it to herself and not promote it to her young followers. A sunbed tan is still a natural tan. It's fine to speculate but I couldn't imagine directly trying to shame the person over it.
    Then again it takes all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

There is a difference though from omitting the truth and lyIng! Suzanne Jackson omits the truth. Joanne lied for years/months? about it havin lip fillers. Suzanne just never answers or acknowledges the questions either way!

Let me get this straight. I don’t care that she uses sun beds and I actually do like Joanne.

She was asked what tan she uses, she says “this is my natural colour, I don’t do sunbeds” - this is what I have an issue with. Just don’t answer the question.

I think it’s why I like So Su. It’s obvious she has work done but just never talks about it. She doesn’t claim she hasn’t had anything done.

• Advertisement

Why do people keep comparing the two? Suzanne clearly couldn't give a fcuk. MUF does. People are allowed to do things and enhance their appearance without being answerable to people. As far as I know Joanne has admitted to the fillers? If she admitted to sunbeds she'd be slated for that too. I get that they're marketing themselves as beauty gurus but is nothing sacred for them? They don't have to fess up if they don't want to. It's clear that when it comes to some influencers here, anything goes and they are seen as fair game- it's not fair.

I never claimed to be Joanne's biggest fan but instead of seeing everything she does as pathetic and annoying I take situations as a whole and view them that way. Some bloggers I like do sh!tty things and I call them out for that, similarly the ones I dislike I'll defend when I feel they're being wronged. Others use sh!tty moments to perpetuate their disgust for these people and use their low moments to sharpen their axe for grinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

anna080 wrote: »
    Maybe she's using sunbeds but wants to keep it to herself and not promote it to her young followers. A sunbed tan is still a natural tan.

Are you kidding?! Sunbed tan is still a natural tan? Come now Anna surely you're not going to try and say that! There's nothing natural about using excessive amounts of UV light to get a tan.

Why lie about it? Tell the truth and if you do use them, educate your followers on the dangers of using them. Don't carry on an pretend you have sallow skin all year round without having to top it up! I'm naturally sallow but unless I keep it topped up it fades. There's no way I go around in Dec looking like I've been in Ibiza for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I hope she doesn't use sunbeds, they damage the skin so much. I really hope there's no bloggers out there who promotes the use of sunbeds. I'm not too keen myself on fake tan (laziness and clumsiness) but it's a way better alternative.

Here's a great video on how the sun damages / ages our skin. I think if many of us looked at our skin like this, it would give us a bit of a wake up call. It's one thing to be aware but another to actually see it. I'd love an Irish blogger to be part of something like this. Many people think that being in Ireland we don't "get the Sun" but it's just not true. We don't get a lot of direct light but we do get a lot of reflected light.

scarbouro wrote: »
    Are you kidding?! Sunbed tan is still a natural tan? Come now Anna surely you're not going to try and say that! There's nothing natural about using excessive amounts of UV light to get a tan.

Why lie about it? Tell the truth and if you do use them, educate your followers on the dangers of using them. Don't carry on an pretend you have sallow skin all year round without having to top it up! I'm naturally sallow but unless I keep it topped up it fades. There's no way I go around in Dec looking like I've been in Ibiza for a week.

You know what I mean. It's darkening your skin by artificial means to induce a natural tan. They're dangerous as hell and I'd never touch them but if she wants to let her off. As long as she isn't promoting them I don't see why it's any of my business.

You know what I mean. It's darkening your skin by artificial means to induce a natural tan. They're dangerous as hell and I'd never touch them but if she wants to let her off. As long as she isn't promoting them I don't see why it's any of my business.

OK but then why lie when many of her followers have asked her the question of what tan she is wearing ect and they get "my skin is naturally this colour" She has gone on many a rant over the years about this too that people keep asking her the same question.

It's being dishonest.

Cos it's safer than saying I use sunbeds Hun. Personally I'd prefer she lied about her skin being that colour naturally over promoting the fact she uses sunbeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

In work, so cant go on snapchat ill check later...but whats she saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I have to say, (I’m not dragging it back up again, I’m just putting my opinion in) I don’t think comparing the pain of miscarriage and the pain of hair loss is particularly fair.

As someone who can’t conceive, does that mean I can’t feel bad that I’ve lost my hair because I’ll never miscarry? I know you aren’t saying that in so many words and I can’t assume that it was your intention, but when I read that it made me think ‘huh’.
    I particularly think that it took a lot of courage for Joanne to speak up about something that caused her such anxiety, insecurity and pain for well over a decade. The lasting effects is something she’s been carrying with her for such a long time and that can wear a person out. If she was someone that people loved, she’d be applauded for her honesty. People may say it was a calculated move but I refuse to agree with that. As another poster said, if it was a calculated move, she wouldn’t be exposing herself the way she did.

At the end of the day, you don’t need to apologise for what you said because it’s your opinion but I do think it is massively unfair to say one bad thing isn’t as bad as another thing because there isn’t an imaginary scale that shows us which evokes more pain in ourselves than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

wyrn wrote: »
    I hope she doesn't use sunbeds, they damage the skin so much. I really hope there's no bloggers out there who promotes the use of sunbeds. I'm not too keen myself on fake tan (laziness and clumsiness) but it's a way better alternative.

Here's a great video on how the sun damages / ages our skin. I think if many of us looked at our skin like this, it would give us a bit of a wake up call. It's one thing to be aware but another to actually see it. I'd love an Irish blogger to be part of something like this. Many people think that being in Ireland we don't "get the Sun" but it's just not true. We don't get a lot of direct light but we do get a lot of reflected light.

Agree 100%

Sun-beds are deadly dangerous and there’s no excuse for using them. It’s a real shame that MUF uses them - whether she chooses to admit it or not.

It would be great if one of the Irish/ UK beauty bloggers promoted a variant of the ‘embrace the pale’ campaign. I think it would have a very positive effect on followers mindsets that pale skin is natural and nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It would be great if one of the Irish/ UK beauty bloggers promoted a variant of the ‘embrace the pale’ campaign. I think it would have a very positive effect on followers mindsets that pale skin is natural and nothing to be ashamed of.

To be fair, there are a rake load of pale bloggers out there, it's the fans that need to embrace the pale bloggers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

GingerLily wrote: »
    To be fair, there are a rake load of pale bloggers out there, it's the fans that need to embrace the pale bloggers!!!

Yep, agreed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Was Marissa Carter throwing shade at SoSueMe?

She raved about a really affordable eyeshadow palette (Elf?) and the pigment etc.
    But then she moved on to some lashes and she said that they're uniquely designed and not just picked out of a catalogue.

I'm only thinking Sue because I don't know any others with lashes out.
    She has criticized bloggers not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Was Marissa Carter throwing shade at SoSueMe?

She raved about a really affordable eyeshadow palette (Elf?) and the pigment etc.
    But then she moved on to some lashes and she said that they're uniquely designed and not just picked out of a catalogue.

I'm only thinking Sue because I don't know any others with lashes out.
    She has criticized bloggers not so long ago.

ELF are going a big push in promo as they are launched their Irish website or store soon. Several friends that dabble in make up blogs have been sent gifts from them over last few days. Say she was just plugging them

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Joanne has practically quoted a couple of comments from this thread in her snaps today.

I found her snaps about her hair loss products very engaging and interesting. She is far more appealing to me when discussing products she is very invested in, which was obvious today.

blairbear wrote: »
    Joanne has practically quoted a couple of comments from this thread in her snaps today.

I found her snaps about her hair loss products very engaging and interesting. She is far more appealing to me when discussing products she is very invested in, which was obvious today.

Really? The slightly slightly negative comments or the comments where people were praising her honesty and realness? I deleted my snap chat so didn't see them

I love elf surprised it's taken so long to come to ireland! Been using it for maybe 7 years maybe a little more!
    I did think the eyelash thing was a bit of a dig!!! Didn't hear her saying that about eyeshadows tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

wendydoll wrote: »
    Really? The slightly slightly negative comments or the comments where people were praising her honesty and realness? I deleted my snap chat so didn't see them

She wasn't ranting or anything. She said "some people will call this a breakdown" and said that her edited insta posts etc could be seen as "bragging" but that they just represented her professional life.

She reiterated what she said in her instagram post; that she knew far worse things happen to other women.

That didn't take long.

That didn't take long.

Well she’s one of Ireland’s biggest blogger/influencers so it was obviously going to happen

Genuine question here. I'm genuinely curious and not being sassy- but the same people who were praising Rosie for coming forward with her skin issues are the same people slating Fairy for coming forward with her issues and throwing her under the bus.
    Why is that?

It was in goss.ie yday! She posted a screen shot yday!

Genuine question here. I'm genuinely curious and not being sassy- but the same people who were praising Rosie for coming forward with her skin issues are the same people slating Fairy for coming forward with her issues and throwing her under the bus.
    Why is that?

I don't follow Rosie and never praised her on her issues with her skin so I hope that post wasn't directed at me.

• Advertisement

I don't follow Rosie and never praised her on her issues with her skin so I hope that post wasn't directed at me.

No not you scar.
    Personally I think both were very brave to come forward, and whenever they chose to do it people were going to speculate. I actually dislike Rosie, hell she even blocked me for asking her a question- but when I saw the skin thing I came on here to praise her. Same with Fairy. When someone decides to open up publically with an obvious issue like this I think fair fecks to them. It takes guts.

The timing would never have been perfect- there will always be something people feel they are trying to exploit. But I didn't hear one single person on here slate Rosie or say how convenient the timing was with her brushes coming out soon and a masterclass this weekend. Not one. Anyway I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not trying to be provocative or piss anyone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I think the reason that MUF is being discussed with regards to the timing of her snaps, is because she has never really been an 'off the cuff' kind of person. She seems to be very controlled in what she shares and when. Even before she dropped out of the bikini comp, she was dropping hints about not being ready etc. She says herself that everything she shares is 'curated', so I can see why some people are taking the timing with a pinch of salt. Rosie was praised all over the place, and it hasn't done brought anything except positivity her way. I feel like MUF may have seen this and thought 'we'll I'll have a go'. This isn't intended to be a provocative post, merely that I can see why it's hard to believe that it wasn't planned in some way. I do really hope that anyone affected by hair loss is getting comfort from seeing someone with such a large platform sharing this and spreading awareness to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I notice most people praise the ones who have kids and are quick to criticize those who don't.
    "I work so hard to make ends meet and then she buys a bag" sort of thing.
    We all have the luxury of choosing our own lifestyles.

Ray37 wrote: »
    I think the reason that MUF is being discussed with regards to the timing of her snaps, is because she has never really been an 'off the cuff' kind of person. She seems to be very controlled in what she shares and when. Even before she dropped out of the bikini comp, she was dropping hints about not being ready etc. She says herself that everything she shares is 'curated', so I can see why some people are taking the timing with a pinch of salt. Rosie was praised all over the place, and it hasn't done brought anything except positivity her way. I feel like MUF may have seen this and thought 'we'll I'll have a go'. This isn't intended to be a provocative post, merely that I can see why it's hard to believe that it wasn't planned in some way. I do really hope that anyone affected by hair loss is getting comfort from seeing someone with such a large platform sharing this and spreading awareness to it.

I agree with everything you said Ray. Some people seem to think I have it in for the Muf. I have already said in previous posts that I am extremely sorry she has suffered from such a dreadful thing and that losing her hair must have been horrendous. I just don't believe it was as straightforward as she woke up yesterday morning and decided ye know what I'm going to tell the world about this after keeping it a secret since she was 17. That's just my opinion on it. I think she's afraid of slipping out of the limelight over here with living in the UK now. No better way to get people talking about her again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The timing would never have been perfect- there will always be something people feel they are trying to exploit. But I didn't hear one single person on here slate Rosie or say how convenient the timing was with her brushes coming out soon and a masterclass this weekend. Not one. Anyway I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not trying to be provocative or piss anyone off.

Rosie didn't promote either of those things off the back of her nude face post did she?
    In fact people here were criticising her for not using her own brushes in the YouTube video she did about covering up acne, she seems to have deliberately not promoted anything with that post.
    Rosies post said something along the lines of how she wanted her young fans to know everyone gets acne.

Muf cried on camera and literally promoted her tour immediately afterwards. I was genuinely shocked that she did that, it was so mercenary.
    That's not anyone else getting at her, she showed what mattered most to her.

• Advertisement

Didn’t she get her hair extensions done yesterday? Maybe she woke up and it was on her mind because she was about to get them done again. The day before it she was mentioning about getting them done and how it was important to her but didn’t elaborate so maybe she didn’t know how to approach the situation and it all just came barrelling out. I know from personal experience of situations when I’ve bottled issues up so long that it all came out at random times.

Rosie didn't promote either of those things off the back of her nude face post did she?
    In fact people here were criticising her for not using her own brushes in the YouTube video she did about covering up acne, she seems to have deliberately not promoted anything with that post.
    Rosies post said something along the lines of how she wanted her young fans to know everyone gets acne.

Muf cried on camera and literally promoted her tour immediately afterwards. I was genuinely shocked that she did that, it was so mercenary.
    That's not anyone else getting at her, she showed what mattered most to her.

Literally the next four posts on Rosie's Instagram after her acne one is her promoting her new website, her masterclass and her brushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Literally the next four posts on Rosie's Instagram after her acne one is her promoting her new website, her masterclass and her brushes.

Muf promoted her tour within minutes of crying on snapchat, Rosie mentioned her masterclass the following day and her brushes 3 days later - I've just gone and looked on instagram to check.

Didn’t she get her hair extensions done yesterday? Maybe she woke up and it was on her mind because she was about to get them done again. The day before it she was mentioning about getting them done and how it was important to her but didn’t elaborate so maybe she didn’t know how to approach the situation and it all just came barrelling out. I know from personal experience of situations when I’ve bottled issues up so long that it all came out at random times.

I understand what you're saying. But she gets her extensions done probably every 8 to 10 weeks (Not sure how regularly she gets them done) and has said she has heavily relied on them for years so why yesterday?! Just strange that another top blogger decided to show her flaws bare on social media and got a great media response to it.

Muf promoted her tour within minutes of crying on snapchat, Rosie mentioned her masterclass the following day and her brushes 3 days later - I've just gone and looked on instagram to check.

I dono. I highly doubt she preempted a surge in new followers and made the calculated decision to finally unload her burden that has been tormenting her for years in order to push a lipstick chemist tour. More probably she got a rake of new followers after what happened and thought "feck it, sure I'll throw it up there".
    So if she hasn't done that would you think she was genuine?

I dono. I highly doubt she preempted a surge in new followers and made the calculated decision to finally unload her burden that has been tormenting her for years in order to push a lipstick chemist tour. More probably she got a rake of new followers after what happened and thought "feck it, sure I'll throw it up there".
    So if she hasn't done that would you think she was genuine?

This is exactly what I think she was doing Anna!!

This is exactly what I think she was doing Anna!!

Meh. You could be right and I could be right. Who knows! We are both allowed to think what we feel. It makes for interesting discussion anyway, if nothing else! Sure it was about time we all started killing each other. Things were going too well there :pac:

Meh. You could be right and I could be right. Who knows! We are both allowed to think what we feel. It makes for interesting discussion anyway, if nothing else! Sure it was about time we all started killing each other. Things were going too well there :pac:

True. Look isn't that what Boards is about.. Discussion?
    ! I've haven't fallen out with you yet Anna over the years ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Anna your comment :-) :-) all jokes aside, it's great to be able to discuss this stuff in a grown up fashion without attacking each other. Certain FB groups could learn a thing or 2!!

Lets get back to fixing each others crowns, queens lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement