Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social media influencers bragging ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

It feeds into their egos, which is the worst.
    Sosueme is trying to go back to “old school” blogging so she did a review there of a product she didn’t know the name of.
    She sounded so forced and fake and the usually buzzwords “absolutely love” and “hghly recommend” were thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It feeds into their egos, which is the worst.
    Sosueme is trying to go back to “old school” blogging so she did a review there of a product she didn’t know the name of.
    She sounded so forced and fake and the usually buzzwords “absolutely love” and “hghly recommend” were thrown in.
    But didn't she already try to go "old skool" blogging earlier in the year where the posts were going to be unsponsored or non-ad reviews - I think it lasted like two posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

But why was she ranting? Had they told her they would be ready immediately and there was a delay (still no excuse to go ranting on snapchat about it .. I don't follow her just going on what I'm reading), or what was the issue? Large furniture normally takes at least a couple of weeks unless it's IKEA or Argos flatpack, that's standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Lindy97 wrote: »
    But why was she ranting? Had they told her they would be ready immediately and there was a delay (still no excuse to go ranting on snapchat about it .. I don't follow her just going on what I'm reading), or what was the issue? Large furniture normally takes at least a couple of weeks unless it's IKEA or Argos flatpack, that's standard.

If we are going to be fair to her it's only right to clarify that she wasn't actually ranting. But she did say it in such a way that would make you avoid the place- like "oh there are delays again", kind of thing. This is fairly standard procedure when buying from a furniture shop. The world is a different place when you venture outside the confines of Ikea. It's just more insight into how bloggers struggle to cope when they have to endure standard consumer processes like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

anna080 wrote: »
    If we are going to be fair to her it's only right to clarify that she wasn't actually ranting. But she did say it in such a way that would make you avoid the place- like "oh there are delays again", kind of thing. This is fairly standard procedure when buying from a furniture shop. The world is a different place when you venture outside the confines of Ikea. It's just more insight into how bloggers struggle to cope when they have to endure standard consumer processes like the rest of us.

She was annoyed though and even put the name of their company on her snapchat .. how could she take them
    Chairs,, the company need them to display in order to sell their furniture why does she think she is entitled to have the display models she’s gone so unrelatable and a terrible bragger ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

It such bad form doing that, by naming a place that has a standard wait time and giving out about it, could really damage their business. I wonder how she'd react if her cheap Chinese sunnies were delayed and a customer got annoyed, I'd imagine there would be a blocking spree and everyone would be 'jealous haters'. It's one rule for them and one for their followers. Can you even imagine if someone took to snapchat to complain about her products?

Ray37 wrote: »
    It such bad form doing that, by naming a place that has a standard wait time and giving out about it, could really damage their business. I wonder how she'd react if her cheap Chinese sunnies were delayed and a customer got annoyed, I'd imagine there would be a blocking spree and everyone would be 'jealous haters'. It's one rule for them and one for their followers. Can you even imagine if someone took to snapchat to complain about her products?

You're so right. She would absolutely flip. Also how many times does she ask her followers to DM her stuff. Your followers aren't your skivvies Rosie get off your arse and look for your stuff yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

That's one thing I don't get! People asking where can I find such a thing! Google it like everyone else does! You would imagine bloggers who are or should be decent at using the internet would be able to link ok something up! Someone asked about vintage bikes yday! Out of curiosity I googled it and loads came up! I assume they just do this to try get it for free rather then because they really can't dont whatever it is!

idunno78 wrote: »
    That's one thing I don't get! People asking where can I find such a thing! Google it like everyone else does! You would imagine bloggers who are or should be decent at using the internet would be able to link ok something up! Someone asked about vintage bikes yday! Out of curiosity I googled it and loads came up! I assume they just do this to try get it for free rather then because they really can't dont whatever it is!

It's 100% to get things for free and so brands will fall over themselves to get their product featured. Snooze

It's only to see who will offer them the stuff for free, they may as well just ask 'who wants to send me xyz' coz it's so obvious what they are up to! Don't begrudge the free stuff, but there's a bit of a limit like. You'd swear SOME people are allergic to putting their hand in their own pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love seeing the likes of the beautiful truth getting paid gigs because she's relatable normal not adverse to funding her private life herself and has a clear distinction between family life and blogger life. She recently had the child's party and wasn't on talking about "forgetting" to order stuff for the child's party in the hopes of a freebie.

Sinead has show cased a lot of wearable looks from Vero moda and carraig Donn, neither shops that really appealed to me or not many girls I know my age. I always enjoy her hauls as even though we wouldn't have the same style u appreciate someone being thorough talking about the fit/sizing and actually showing the item in its entirety, full length pics etc. In some of the snaps of FBG I watched was her in a sponsored item for the child's birthday she didn't showcase it, literally just stuck an sp on her regular snap and that was it.

It would kill me to contribute to a business sponsoring sloppiness, laziness and pure greed, whereas TBT could have wore the exact same dress but just have shown it off in a much better way, she's classy and thorough and buying clothes from the company wouldn't leave me feeling dirty.

I just find the whole paying for nothing but expecting everything to be really crass and ungrateful. There's Karen from lovely girly bits working away, putting up good solid content, happy out. She did a sponsored thing with Lidl during the summer and she held a BBQ to try everything out made the content really fun to watch and incorporated it really well onto her social media that it didn't feel like one of those infomercials. I'd be thrilled again to see her with more paid gigs because again, she comes across as being appreciative of items she's received and has no problem repurchasing items she's advertised and liked. I'd say there's
    Not a catrice brow pencil to be got within a 5 mile radius of her.

A child at 3 years old with bratty tendencies is usually insufferable.
    Women, facing the big dirty 30, being bratty and facetious on social media isn't cute or endearing and not something or someone I'd like to be influenced by.

Sorry for that rant but it's been bugging me

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I'd say there's

So true! :pac: Love Karen, she's so dedicated, committed and passionate about her blog. Agree with what you said about her sponsored content, she puts such time and effort into explaining and showcasing the product in detail, unlike others...

I'd say there's

So true! :pac: Love Karen, she's so dedicated, committed and passionate about her blog. Agree with what you said about her sponsored content, she puts such time and effort into explaining and showcasing the product in detail, unlike others...

She is a true blogger! One of the only ones I follow that has stayed consistent!

You've hit the nail on the head with your post Shoesdaychild! The difference with the likes of The Beautiful Truth, Lovely Girlie Bits and others like them is that they have a life outside of blogging. They have jobs/careers, family, regular lives which don't feature in the blog. The blogging is a hobby, they do it because they love it, not to pay the bills. Their interests and passion really come through in the their posts, videos etc. They also post nearly as much as a full time blogger does!

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

She is a true blogger! One of the only ones I follow that has stayed consistent!

So true! Her passion for blogging really comes across — I love how creative she is with her images and all the effort she goes into taking fab product shots.

She makes sure to have the perfect balance between high end (spendy!) products and budget buys which is getting rarer these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I know I actually risk going against the charter here (naughty mod!) but the reason that a lot of these bloggers get so much crap for free and think they're more important than they actually are is because people follow them- if you don't like their content or don't want to see them succeed etc then don't follow them. Like, it really is that simple, or am I missing something? The simple maths of followers is what the sponsors and companies look at. If someone can say "hey, if you give me X for free then 25,000 people will see it". That's maybe giving away 300 euro worth of stuff, and they get a much bigger reach than paying 300 euro on a traditional advert.

Why do people actually follow bloggers they dislike? It's a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

It's a good question BabyandCrumble. For me, it's a case of I'm following someone and slowly but surely they change. Some bloggers have slowly changed, so it's hard to see the gradual change until one day you tot up all the things and realise that they aren't the same person you started out following and are unlikely to change back. Now it's a fine line between a blogger growing and maybe focusing more on a different area than what they started with.

I have to say though, I've mainly noticed this trend in mainly the beauty/lifestyle type bloggers. It's completely different for the tech bloggers I follow. I think the main difference is, the tech bloggers are willing to say if a new product isn't up to scratch whereas (some) of the beauty bloggers will flog anything and it's their "favourite product".

For me if a big time beauty blogger brags about a certain product, brand name or shop - I'll be less inclined to try it out. To be honest I don't trust them to give an honest review. However if a tech blogger recommends something, I'm far more willing to try it out.

That is interesting- I guess my opinion is formed from the fact that I don't follow ANY beauty bloggers, only mens style, tech and LGBTQ lifestyle bloggers- I've noticed a bit of the creeping "omg thanks X for the surprise goody bag!" in the mens style side but it's still relatively small.

I think there's a such thing as "hate following". People love to hate a particular blogger/influencer and follow them it seems to make them feel better about their own selves or just to give themselves ammo to give out about someone. I suppose a real life example is being friendly to someone or in a social group with someone you don't particularly like, you act civil to them but bitch about them in your head or to other people.

• Advertisement

That is interesting- I guess my opinion is formed from the fact that I don't follow ANY beauty bloggers, only mens style, tech and LGBTQ lifestyle bloggers- I've noticed a bit of the creeping "omg thanks X for the surprise goody bag!" in the mens style side but it's still relatively small.
    Huh! How about that. I've just had an epiphany - thanks Baby and Crumble. I actually follow far more diverse people and groups than I thought but I actually had in my head it was only beauty bloggers. I think this is because I only follow beauty bloggers on snapchat and the other types of bloggers have never made me feel super cynical about their content.

The honest truth is the other types of bloggers I do follow seem far more professional and I guess subconsciously my brain automatically filtered them out. I just realised I do follow a large number of LGBTQ people / groups who would also be in tech, gaming, STEM, industry but would never have any contentious issues like the beauty bloggers might have.

I dont think Snapchat can count metrics though, so no matter how many followers you get, it's not actual proof to a brand that you have a large following (i.e you can't send screenshots of your numbers). Now, you can see how many people viewed your story, so maybe they use that to try to get collabs etc? I've read that this is why a lot of them are doing insta stories too, as it has actual metrics that can be  counted when trying to get sponsorship etc. I agree though, there defo is a lot of hate following, I suppose it's kind of a curiosity that some people have, as in they can't quite believe how shady some people are and watch to see what they will try to flog/not declare next...

I think for me there are various reasons why I follow a blogger. Sure I may not like them all now, but I sure as hell liked them all at one point or another. I think that's what keeps people tied to them, they followed them when they were good at it and now they're invested and have to keep following. Kind of like watching a tv series and it gets sh!t as it goes on, but you just have to keep watching because you've come this far so you may as well. There are also some who are mentioned here who I don't follow, but I'll give a quick add to see what's the story- and then report back what I think. There are a few who I've no interest in and don't follow and never will- like Sue. She's massive but I have zero interest in her and never will.

TBH I think we all do it for the same reasons, it's human interest, and it's a shared interest between us all. I really like engaging here with the posters on this forum and I feel we've built up a great rapport with one another over the years. It's a shame that some discussion is censored though, that's a downfall. I think I speak for all when I say that no matter who we follow and how many irritants we bring to the table about them- we mean them no harm or malace- but if you build your brand around your lifestyle and people following you, people are going to talk about you and it's ridiculous to want to curtail or censor the parts that may hurt your feelings.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think there's a such thing as "hate following". People love to hate a particular blogger/influencer and follow them it seems to make them feel better about their own selves or just to give themselves ammo to give out about someone. I suppose a real life example is being friendly to someone or in a social group with someone you don't particularly like, you act civil to them but bitch about them in your head or to other people.

This is certainly a factor- and it goes for every forum of media not just blogging. If you go over to the radio forum there are posts and posts of critical analysis of shows and it's never suggested to just turn the dial or stop listening, but it's something that is constantly suggested here.
    It's a plausible part of being a viewer that we are critical in what we watch.

Personally I'd rather be critical of things and second guess shady practices than doe-eyed and unaware and lapping up everything these people say as fact! I guess the critique just seems so personal because we are commenting on people's personal lives and not a show- but that's what they have put forward for content. When you put your personal life out there as content on a platform, naturally enough people are going to discuss it, and it might not all be positive glowing reviews.

I'm over on the radio forum and oh boy it has been suggested to turn the dial. So much so that it was put in the charter to to ask. The reason being that many people are stuck listening to those shows at work or in waiting rooms so they can't change.

Hmmm fair enough. What I mean though is they don't get half as much one post wonders registering just to call them names and tell them to stop following. Criticism in general seems to be more accepted on other forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

FBG shamelessly hinting again today for a new camera. We can see right through you Grace!

fussyonion wrote: »
    FBG shamelessly hinting again today for a new camera. We can see right through you Grace!

She left it long enough from her original complaint to see would someone send her a freebie, obviously nobody did. Bahahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Sinead from TBT got a new camera the other day, no wonder FBG wants one.

Sinead bought hers, traded in her old camera when she got the new one I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

I know I actually risk going against the charter here (naughty mod!) but the reason that a lot of these bloggers get so much crap for free and think they're more important than they actually are is because people follow them- if you don't like their content or don't want to see them succeed etc then don't follow them. Like, it really is that simple, or am I missing something? The simple maths of followers is what the sponsors and companies look at. If someone can say "hey, if you give me X for free then 25,000 people will see it". That's maybe giving away 300 euro worth of stuff, and they get a much bigger reach than paying 300 euro on a traditional advert.

Ha, I got slated for asking this a few weeks ago! I understand getting frustrated with bloggers you genuinely used to like and they've changed etc. But to see comments like "OMG her content is the worst, if I hear her saying Gooood morning one more time I'll throw my phone out the window, she does nothing all day" Like why? Why would you continue to follow this person that you clearly hate whose every move seems to enrage you? If it's just to have a bitch on message boards then find something more productive to do with your time for the love of God

Oh dear. Irony bypass.

tumblr_nscscqgnyw1s391qwo1_250.gif

• Advertisement

Oh dear. Irony bypass.

Hahaha totally over the head

Ha, I got slated for asking this a few weeks ago! I understand getting frustrated with bloggers you genuinely used to like and they've changed etc. But to see comments like "OMG her content is the worst, if I hear her saying Gooood morning one more time I'll throw my phone out the window, she does nothing all day" Like why? Why would you continue to follow this person that you clearly hate whose every move seems to enrage you? If it's just to have a bitch on message boards then find something more productive to do with your time for the love of God

Have a little read of what you just wrote :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

:D

Oh dear. Irony bypass.

I don't spend half my day watching and then bitching about bloggers but you do you boo

No-one's actually going to answer my question then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Surely you can answer it yourself :D the same reason you're still on this thread

Calm down the bitchiness, folks. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Madam Oblong is probably FBG or someone.

Like I said a few posts up, for me it's a gradual slide into annoyingness. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes I'll just skip through snaps, or stop watching for a while and go back or sometimes I'll straight up delete them.

I started watching MUF for her makeup tutorials and now she doesn't do that any more. Once she started featuring Paul and using annoying voice filters I pretty much ditched her. I ditched FBG when it became all about her child 24/7.

There's a misconception that we just complain about bloggers in Social Media & Blogging. We also tend to compliment bloggers too. I think it was last night there was lots of positive posts about Karen and another blogger.

Why don't you read the other posts which answered your question, or do you want us to repeat what we've said all over again just for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

wyrn wrote:
    I started watching MUF for her makeup tutorials and now she doesn't do that any more. Once she started featuring Paul and using annoying voice filters I pretty much ditched her. I ditched FBG when it became all about her child 24/7.

Agreed.

I unfollowed FBG after a few months of waiting for her to do something other than stare at sienna all day.

The only others I follow are MUF, Rosie,Lisa Jordan and Rosemary McCabe, the beautiful truth and lovely girly bits. Sometimes one or two of them are v annoying but most of the time I like them. Rosie is on thin ice for me at the moment with MUF close behind but I will only unfollow of the vast majority of their posts hold no interest for me. I tried following sosueme but realised she wasn't for me so she got deleted too.

Maeve Madden is a good one. Not sure if she’s an actual blogger, but she has a number of health issues that give her really bad acne and she’s so honest and upfront about it. Her accent is a bit mad but you get used to it.
    I tried one of her workouts and nearly died but they are effective.

I don't spend half my day watching and then bitching about bloggers but you do you boo

No you just make assumptions about what other people do by reading the posts and then bitching is the irony lost on you we are all doing the same thing here saying what we think ,, no bitchiness here I’m just pointing out facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You only ever seem to post here to tell us we all need to get a life and stop watching/reading if we don't like it, seriously why don't you take your own advice?
    You don't actually contribute anything, just dictate what the rest of of us should do with our time while adding nothing of substance to the conversation.
    It comes across so pious when you do exactly the same as us!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sorry, didn't see the mod warning so any bitchiness was unintentional.

It just bugs the sh*t out of me when someone swans in here like the second coming of Jesus Christ with their high and mighty patronising attitudes about us having opinions while actually adding nothing worthwhile to the discussion at all.

Can we maybe add something to the charter to prevent this because all it does is derail the conversation and it's seriously annoying. It's never people who use the forum regularly making these posts either.

Maeve Madden is a good one. Not sure if she’s an actual blogger, but she has a number of health issues that give her really bad acne and she’s so honest and upfront about it. Her accent is a bit mad but you get used to it.
    I tried one of her workouts and nearly died but they are effective.

Ya I like maeve to. She seems really down to earth and talks about everything! Felt so sorry for her after the facial! Seemed so sore, I won't bE getting that! Only thing is she isn't great for declaring stuff! Pretty obvious when she is doing it but never an ad or anything in sight! Other then that I like her!

Ya I like maeve to. She seems really down to earth and talks about everything! Felt so sorry for her after the facial! Seemed so sore, I won't bE getting that! Only thing is she isn't great for declaring stuff! Pretty obvious when she is doing it but never an ad or anything in sight! Other then that I like her!

Yes! She went on a holiday with the Cell Nutrition thing and never declared any of it. It was really funny yesterday when she opened the Cocoa Brown advent calendar and there was nothing in it.

Oh I didn't see that? Kinda went of snap chat for a few days got sick of them all!!! Did they just send her a empty one? She is brand ambassador for them to I think!

Just looked again and u said yday! Will have a look!!! Always miss words!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Oh I didn't see that? Kinda went of snap chat for a few days got sick of them all!!! Did they just send her a empty one? She is brand ambassador for them to I think!

Just looked again and u said yday! Will have a look!!! Always miss words!!!

I got rid of snapchat. best decision I made. I get enough of their "news" on instastories to suit me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I know this doesn't relate to 'bragging' but in a space where we've already declared a lot of love for Karen of Lovely Girlie Bits, can I ask, what's the deal with kicking off Christmas in October?
    This was the 3rd weekend where she hit up a Christmas shop, sharing snaps of decorations & weighing up the merits of different lights. Like, what is going on? How much prep can one woman put into one day?
    Don't get me wrong: I think she's amazing at blogging - and I love that she's blogging for the woman who's in her late 30s and wants to look well turned out. So why is she sharing snaps of wandering around shopping centres, issuing rulings on fake plastic Santas?

Advertisement