Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options
  • 13-09-2017 1:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let's keep this thread for discussion of the X only.

I can see the other threads getting pretty messy as time goes on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

My initial reaction is that I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I have a 6, and if money was no object and I *had* to buy a new phone, I'd probably go for the 8, and if money *was* an object and I still *had* to get a new phone, I think I'd be happy enough with the 7.

The screen size on the 6,7 and 8 is ideal for me. I know the X fits a bigger screen onto more or less the same form factor, but for me that screen is just too big for comfortable use. Others will love it, of course. I initially moved away from Apple because the Galaxy S3 had the "right" size screen for me when it came out, and 5-ish years later, 4.7 inch is still "right" for me.

I also think that FaceID is something that I'll come around to in time, but for now TouchID works just fine for me. It's fast and reliable. Plus, if someone nicks an iPhoneX all they have to do is point it at your face and it's unlocked. I know there are more barriers within the OS that will stop serious break-ins based on a simple unlock, but privacy at least could be compromised.

Just my initial thoughts. I'd say it's like most things Apple do (including the original iPhone in many ways): it'll be well worth getting on board with when it has matured a bit and we get used to the way the tech has shifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

I don't think the iPhone x is anything wow. Yes it has pretty cool features but in comparison to the iPhone 8 the main differences I can get is the screen resolution the screen itself the face id and maybe something else can't remember! I have the 5s at the moment so badly need an upgrade and have been waiting all summer for this, was going for the 7 but held off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I was weighing up options about buying in the states...with the way the exchange rate is now, won't save that much.

1149 for the 256gb model over there + tax.....you're still talking in or around the same, maybe a saving of 80euro or so. and you won't be able to get irish applecare+ on a US device.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm on a 6s+, there's not really enough new in the 8 to justify an upgrade and the 10 is just not worth the money. The screen looks nice but I will wait until touchid is back. Current phone should have another year in it, though I guess it depends on how good it runs iOS11.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i have a 7plus, i tried a samsung s8 for a bit and liked the size (the 7 plus is a tad unwieldy) but cant get along with android

apple whore that i am, ill get the x :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

One question I have is will Face ID work for all apps that already support Touch ID? I was trying to dig around some of the dev pages to figure this out, I think it might be the case but not sure. If not, this would be a deal breaker for me. A lot of apps I use rely of touch ID, which would be a pain to go back and start using password/pin.

Anyone have any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

It's utterly ridiculous that you need a dongle to charge the X on the new Macbook (still using USB A to lightening).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.S wrote: »
    $1,056 incl tax (Washington DC in this example) for the 64GB X = approx €890 (lets say €900 to be allow for bank rates)

Same phone here will cost you €1,179 so a saving of €279, not to sniffed at!

Obviously a bit silly to fly over to just buy the phone but everyone knows someone going to the states around Christmas ;)

If you're planning to do this than get Revolut card. Gives batter rates and you don't pay any fees.

More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really fail to see why this wasn't just presented as the 8 or why the 8 needs to exist at all now, outside of Apple trying to sell a premium on top of an already premium phone.

Leaves a sour taste in the mouth as a consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Really fail to see why this wasn't just presented as the 8 or why the 8 needs to exist at all now, outside of Apple trying to sell a premium on top of an already premium phone.

Leaves a sour taste in the mouth as a consumer.

Because I really don't think it's going to be that popular compared to the 8. That gap on the screen looks woeful. Face ID tech looks brilliant, but not good enough nor practical enough to replace touch ID for me.

I don't think they truly believe in it either. They said at the announcement it was a glimpse into the future...a prototype of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm going to get the 256GB model but I see this phone full of compromises for lack of home button.

No reachability.

Having to swipe down from the right for control centre. And the left for notifications. Why not from the bottom left and right?

No battery percentage indicator?

No 3G/4G indicator?

It has fast charging but you need to buy the charger and cable separately. You'd think for the price they'd include them?

Half the brightness of the Note 8. Hopefully true tone will compensate for that.

Of course no Touch ID. I often like to unlock my phone whilst it's resting on the table. You do have tap to wake tough.

How do you turn it off if the power button is now for Siri?

Apple seem to have decided to embrace the notch. Replacing the iconic round home button for the notch as the iPhone identifier. Except it's in everything. Cutting into the background of apps from what I could tell.

Lol, is there anything else? Remind me again why I'm getting it? :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you're planning to do this than get Revolut card. Gives batter rates and you don't pay any fees.

More info here.

Hi

Do you just load cash onto the revolut and then pay ?

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

these folks saying the X will be released Ireland 03NOV

http://www.redsn0w.us/2017/09/everything-you-need-to-know-about.html

these folks saying the X will be released Ireland 03NOV

http://www.redsn0w.us/2017/09/everything-you-need-to-know-about.html

You can preorder it on the 27/10 @8:01

mad muffin wrote: »
    You can preorder it on the 27/10 @8:01

yep...if they just had the 8. would buy it in a flash, but the fact the 10 exists...!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Given the lead times of previous iPhones, what do people think it will be for the X, my 7 Plus was 3 weeks iirc last year, and only arrived a couple of days early.

Kagawa wrote: »
    Given the lead times of previous iPhones, what do people think it will be for the X, my 7 Plus was 3 weeks iirc last year, and only arrived a couple of days early.

If you preorder on the 27th of October it will arrive on the 3rd of November. After that, it's anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,704 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't want it at that price the and 8 suits me better anyway.

But by God it's a sexy looking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The fast charging is a joke it will cost an extra €90 minimum to have this that is taking the piss for a phone costing over €1300 they really are gouging every last cent, I'll stick with the iPad charger.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Marty Bird wrote: »
    The fast charging is a joke it will cost an extra €90 minimum to have this that is taking the piss for a phone costing over €1300 they really are gouging every last cent, I'll stick with the iPad charger.

How will it cost €90?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    How will it cost €90?

The lowest Watt USB c power adapter is €59 and the 1m USB c to lightning cable is €29.

can someone clarify, the X is the same size as the 7 and 8.

Its not the same size as the plus ?

DT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Its not the same size as the plus ?

DT

its between the two 8 and 8 plus in size

with a bigger screen than the plus

Cyrus wrote: »
    its between the two 8 and 8 plus in size

with a bigger screen than the plus

checked in out..

8 is 5.45 inches high, X is 5.65 inches, so 0.2 = 5mm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

See here. That's the 7/8 and 7/8+ on either side of the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I am quite sure it will be fantastic .... but next gen for me
    There are bound to be teething issues .. with the tech and the hardware that will be ironed out by the next generation.

OLED, FaceId, no home button ... all going to be standard in all handsets in time

Gonna hang on to be 6S .. and buy a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Mr.S wrote: »
    Fast charging only via USB-c is a bit crap, and a bit of a kick in teeth to not include it with the X at over a grand :eek:

Yep. Apple seems a bit disjointed at the moment the way they have so many products that don’t work that well together. There’s a lack of consistency that’s frustrating. Particularly when it comes to cables and connections. And now with no Home button, even the OS on its phones will not be consistent. I think Steve is turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I don't want it at that price the and 8 suits me better anyway.

But by God it's a sexy looking phone.

The cutout on the top bothers me, i like the edge to edge screen but overall the look of it leaves me a little cold. Honestly, there's very little to it over the 8 for me to get it. I'm actually thinking the 7 would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Would love to get the X, but the facial recognition and AR stuff is just gimmicks for me, not worth the additional dev and cost to the phone. Remove those and have the price at ~€850 would have suited.
    Bring the phone up to my face just to unlock? No thanks. Holding the phone out like demonstrated and moving around to play an AR game, again no thanks; seems like both features would get old real quick.
    The 8 or plus is a more likely purchase/upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yep. Apple seems a bit disjointed at the moment the way they have so many products that don’t work that well together. There’s a lack of consistency that’s frustrating. Particularly when it comes to cables and connections. And now with no Home button, even the OS on its phones will not be consistent. I think Steve is turning in his grave.

Yes -ideally they should have gone all lightning if they wanted something proprietary the control, or all USB-C if using a standard port was seen as the priority. Doing a bit of both while also keeping regularly USB into the mix is a bit of a mess.

But clearly the immediate future of charging at least for small devices is wireless. In the short to medium term port standards won't matter tou much anymore as we'll all have a few mats/furnitures in the house and the office which charge our devices just by dropping them on the mat/piece of furniture.

Advertisement