Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

mad muffin wrote: »
    Like I have done for the past 8 years of iPhone ownership. I shan’t be getting a plastic or otherwise cover.

I like my iPhone neked. Just like the day they were born. :pac:

I just would not be able for that kind of risk. Johnny has you covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone recommend a clear case with no covers over the buttons? Absolutely despise of pressing rubber when I use the side buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

snowflaker wrote: »
    Why buy a great phone and skimp on the cover?

Because the phones are expensive enough and the expensive cases such as Apple's are overpriced and offer no extra protection that a €10 case on ebay can do.

People going on about cheap covers from China, but where do they think their phone came from and where do Apple get their covers made?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone recommend a clear case with no covers over the buttons? Absolutely despise of pressing rubber when I use the side buttons

If you have a case on a phone then it adds thickness to the phone so how do you expect to be able to reach the buttons unless you have fingers that are extremely narrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

My best deal seems to be SIM free then 6 months 1/2 price bill pay with IDMobile

By in large that is comparable to getting a lamborgini and then having to drive it on Irish roads. The Irish roads being ID mobile on the Three network.

If it works for you then sure, stick with ID - But the difference of using an iPhone 7 Plus on ID vs Vodafone is insane. Even Eir is much better as this stage.

Of course every area is different and every one has had unique experiences with each network but having worked for a Phone company internally dealing with UK network providers - The likes of ID or Tesco etc roaming on another network completely Zaps the battery and any performance gains on the network side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

My best deal seems to be SIM free then 6 months 1/2 price bill pay with IDMobile

Where you seeing details on ID mobile re iPhone X? Juts curious.

Also I'm due upgrade with Three on November 3rd. Raging. Gonna ring up at 8.01am on Friday and see can they get round this. That said Three reception in my house has been non existent last 2 months so will make me reconsider. Contract ends in January might shop around early.

Last question, is it possible to get the X sim free in the states? I was nearly sure I read on hear you could but can't find how.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Am going to be ordering through the app on Friday does it automatically update at 8.01 or do you need to enter the app at 8.01 ordered online last year and it took me until 8.20 to order due to store not refreshing for me.

F34 wrote: »
    Am going to be ordering through the app on Friday does it automatically update at 8.01 or do you need to enter the app at 8.01 ordered online last year and it took me until 8.20 to order due to store not refreshing for me.

What App be this?

iancairns wrote: »
    What App be this?

The Apple store app. It’s quicker to use rather than the website.

F34 wrote: »
    What App be this?

Apple Store App.

This goes online quicker than the mirror servers used for the website.

AFAIK the best way is to force close the app, and at 8.00 open the App. At 8.01am select the iPhone and the blue button should appear.

If it still hasn't appeared force close the App and go through the process again. Sometimes the Cache can interfere within the app and therefore the "delay" in the page loading.

• Advertisement

Where you seeing details on ID mobile re iPhone X? Juts curious.

Also I'm due upgrade with Three on November 3rd. Raging. Gonna ring up at 8.01am on Friday and see can they get round this. That said Three reception in my house has been non existent last 2 months so will make me reconsider. Contract ends in January might shop around early.

Last question, is it possible to get the X sim free in the states? I was nearly sure I read on hear you could but can't find how.

Thanks,

Threes network is still very skinny and stretched due to the All you can eat data.

The iPhone X will work better on the likes of Eir, even more on Vodafone. I realise it's more expensive on vodafone but at least in terms of experience your battery life will better and your download speeds will also be better as Vodafone utilize HD voice, 4G+ and soon VOLTE

flexcon wrote: »
    Threes network is still very skinny and stretched due to the All you can eat data.

The iPhone X will work better on the likes of Eir, even more on Vodafone. I realise it's more expensive on vodafone but at least in terms of experience your battery life will better and your download speeds will also be better as Vodafone utilize HD voice, 4G+ and soon VOLTE

Wow great insight, thanks for this.

I might look to Vodafone so.

Any tips on breaking contract with 3 for final 3 months if service horrific at home?

Wow great insight, thanks for this.

I might look to Vodafone so.

Any tips on breaking contract with 3 for final 3 months if service horrific at home?

Boards is full of threads on this matter and Unfortunately it's nearly always impossible to break from the contract. Besides, it may take longer than 3 months to get an iPhone X :eek:

Boards is full of threads on this matter and Unfortunately it's nearly always impossible to break from the contract. Besides, it may take longer than 3 months to get an iPhone X :eek:

I know, just read updated supply issues on macrumors!

God my iPhone6 is hanging together, horrifically slow. I need a new phone ASAP! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What's the story with credit card billing on the Apple store? Do they bill you immediately after purchase or only when the item is shipped? I don't fancy paying full whack for an item I potentially won't get for three months :eek:

What's the story with credit card billing on the Apple store. Do they bill you immediately after purchase or only when the item is shipped? I don't fancy paying full whack for an item I potentially won't get for three months. :eek:

£1 authorization and then full amount 24 hours before shipping.

If it's a debit card you may get charged in full ( frozen in account ) but will drop off 48 hours later until them come back to request again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

@6:50 Tim Cook doesn’t dissuade from the fact that the iPhone X will be in short supply :eek:

I'm wondering how much of the short supply is Apple marketing trying to create a massive buzz around the X.

I'll be ordering Friday morning but if I won't have it this side of Christmas I'll most likely go with something else as my current phone is already promised as a Christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

What's the story with credit card billing on the Apple store? Do they bill you immediately after purchase or only when the item is shipped? I don't fancy paying full whack for an item I potentially won't get for three months :eek:

Be a good idea to add an FAQ to the first post as these questions keep getting asked. How long until somebody else asks for a case recommendation :)

BTW, I know the above poster said you get charged €1, but in my experienced they charge the full device amount as an authorization hold and return it a few days later. Then charge again after it has shipped.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Be a good idea to add an FAQ to the first post as these questions keep getting asked. How long until somebody else asks for a case recommendation :)

BTW, I know the above poster said you get charged €1, but in my experienced they charge the full device amount as an authorization hold and return it a few days later. Then charge again after it has shipped.

Yeah this happens for Debit Cards. Credit Cards are €1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

come on Friday ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah this happens for Debit Cards. Credit Cards are €1 :)
    Makes sense as I usually use a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have an Otterbox Commuter on the way for mine (hopefully i'll get a phone to fit inside lol) 34 euro delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Is it best to take that extra 2 seconds in the pre order process to change delivery method from standard to express or will it really make a difference with iPhone deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

just to wetten your appetites before ordering ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wEI5zhHB0

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Micky 32 wrote: »
    just to wetten your appetites before ordering ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wEI5zhHB0

Must Resist!! Want one but cant afford it yet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

blink44 wrote: »
    Is it best to take that extra 2 seconds in the pre order process to change delivery method from standard to express or will it really make a difference with iPhone deliveries?

iPhones are always express. If you are lucky enough for your order to succeed in going through, in the first two seconds. You’ll get it on release day, the 3rd of November.

If not. You’ll get it as soon as they are made. Could be two weeks. Could be two months. Could be early next year. We’ll find out in a couple of days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In 2 minds about shortage. I’ve survived with just 16gb since the first iPhone 10 years ago. Granted it’s been hard to survive with 16gb since I got the 6 so unsure whether to just get the 64gb or go for 256gb.

256gb is a lot of storage and for a phone that has a lifespan of 2-3 years I’m not sure whether I should splurge on the larger unit.

What are you guys doing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

faceman wrote: »
    In 2 minds about shortage. I’ve survived with just 16gb since the first iPhone 10 years ago. Granted it’s been hard to survive with 16gb since I got the 6 so unsure whether to just get the 64gb or go for 256gb.

256gb is a lot of storage and for a phone that has a lifespan of 2-3 years I’m not sure whether I should splurge on the larger unit.

What are you guys doing?

Coming from a 128GB 7 I’ll be going with the 256GB X.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement