Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

faceman wrote: »

"When you buy an iPhone X, you’re buying into Apple’s vision for the future of the smartphone. When you buy an iPhone 8, you’re buying the best version of the present."

This chap is spot on, and all of this this is exactly the reason I got the 8 Plus a while ago. Very happy with it so far— cheaper, a nice improvement over the 6 Plus I'd had since launch, was easy to get and available sooner, and no need to faff about with things I don't want like Face ID.

I can't say I would recommend it over the X as I haven't so much as touched that, but I can definitely say it's a good phone that I'd recommend on its own merits.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Coming from a 128GB 7 I’ll be going with the 256GB X.

Coming from a 16GB Iphone 6S Plus I'll be definitely going for the 256 ! :D

If I don't get it I'll probably go for the 8 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DivingDuck wrote: »
    "When you buy an iPhone X, you’re buying into Apple’s vision for the future of the smartphone. When you buy an iPhone 8, you’re buying the best version of the present."

This chap is spot on, and all of this this is exactly the reason I got the 8 Plus a while ago. Very happy with it so far— cheaper, a nice improvement over the 6 Plus I'd had since launch, was easy to get and available sooner, and no need to faff about with things I don't want like Face ID.

I can't say I would recommend it over the X as I haven't so much as touched that, but I can definitely say it's a good phone that I'd recommend on its own merits.

I did the exact same thing for the same reason.

I love the idea of a full screen phone but I don't think the X really is one.

That notch at the top is ridiculous. I expected it to be screen space on the sides only used for status bars but when I saw how photos and videos wrap around it I was shocked.

Then tapping to fit better actually reduces the screen size a lot.

Apart from that it's too expensive. Otherwise I like the concept and unlike many here I think Faceid will work very well.

So I went for the 8 plus which is a major upgrade on my standard iPhone 6.

Great camera, processing time and battery life is fantastic.

In a couple of year's time I think the full screen will be completely standard across the range and a better phone than the X will be available at a more normal price, hopefully without the silly notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think the iPhone X is the first iPhone I’ve been properly excited about since the iPhone 4. The iPhone 6 was also a big enough jump for me but haven’t been overly excited about recent devices. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It looks like faceid won’t be anywhere as accurate as Apple claimed. The latest story is due to yield issues for the chip Apple has reduced the accuracy requirements for it.
    I wasn’t impressed with it at all so I definitely thinking i’ll be waiting for gen2

http://flip.it/OrjRFU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Blazer wrote: »
    It looks like faceid won’t be anywhere as accurate as Apple claimed. The latest story is due to yield issues for the chip Apple has reduced the accuracy requirements for it.
    I wasn’t impressed with it at all so I definitely thinking i’ll be waiting for gen2

From that article:
    [font=Tiempos, Georgia, serif]Apple claims Face ID’s accuracy is 1,000,000:1, compared to 50,000:1 for Touch ID. If Apple has reduced the accuracy based on these figures, the company will still be able to claim that Face ID is far more accurate than Touch ID.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Apple has now very clearly denied the accuracy of that report: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/25/apple-denies-it-reduced-accuracy-of-face-id-to-aid-iphone-x-production

Why not wait until the phone comes out and the real reviews come out before making your mind up based on an article without any real sources.

I just don't think that Apple would release something that doesn't work and wouldn't just berate it because of the hiccup at the demo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

iancairns wrote: »
    Where you seeing details on ID mobile re iPhone X? Juts curious.

Also I'm due upgrade with Three on November 3rd. Raging. Gonna ring up at 8.01am on Friday and see can they get round this. That said Three reception in my house has been non existent last 2 months so will make me reconsider. Contract ends in January might shop around early.

Last question, is it possible to get the X sim free in the states? I was nearly sure I read on hear you could but can't find how.

Thanks,

Sim Free from Apple. Plan from IDmobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

murpho999 wrote: »
    I just don't think that Apple would release something that doesn't work
    Like the antenna issue?

I’m not sold on FaceID yet, def think you’re correct to see what the reviews and people here say when they get the X.
    I’d like to wait for the Xs. My own 2yr cycle has typically meant I got the s version; when the “new” phones have been corrected/improved.

I'm assuming all carrier websites will be updated today with details on iPhone X or is it at 8am tomorrow page refreshes and boom there it is?

Just seems weird that one day out zero updates on any carrier about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

iancairns wrote: »
    I'm assuming all carrier websites will be updated today with details on iPhone X or is it at 8am tomorrow page refreshes and boom there it is?

Just seems weird that one day out zero updates on any carrier about it?

They may release pricing this evening I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not wait until the phone comes out and the real reviews come out before making your mind up based on an article without any real sources.

I just don't think that Apple would release something that doesn't work and wouldn't just berate it because of the hiccup at the demo.

That’s what I’ll be doing. I’m very happy with the 7plus but the smaller footprint of the x appeals to me. I really hope it’s as good as Apple say.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Will the carriers actually have units ready to ship out for Nov 3rd?

I'm wary of placing a 'pre-order' tomorrow at 8am with Vodafone and then waiting for 3 months to get the actual handset!

Like the antenna issue?

It was a questionable design decision alright. But saying it didn’t work is completely blowing it out of proportion.

I had an iPhone 4 and it never caused me problems. I loved the phone (one of the nicest iPhone designs overall in my opinion) and there is no other phone the same year which I would have considered better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Only 1 more sleep..:)

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I'm coming off nights in the Morning at 8, guess what I'll be doing instead of bursting out the door ? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Like the antenna issue?

I’m not sold on FaceID yet, def think you’re correct to see what the reviews and people here say when they get the X.
    I’d like to wait for the Xs. My own 2yr cycle has typically meant I got the s version; when the “new” phones have been corrected/improved.

If my memory serves me right, there wasn't an issue with the Antenna.

It was the algorithm that shows the signal bars was "overly sensitive".

There was a keynote where Steve Jobs showed off that the antenna system performance was the same with all other phones except the software showed a drop off from full bars to 1 bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

flexcon wrote: »
    If my memory serves me right, there wasn't an issue with the Antenna.

It was the algorithm that shows the signal bars was "overly sensitive".

There was a keynote where Steve Jobs showed off that the antenna system performance was the same with all other phones except the software showed a drop off from full bars to 1 bar.

I recall the iPhone 4 Death Grip, where holding the phone in the left hand shorted out segments of the antenna and killed the signal. It was alleviated by using a case or bumper to insulate the antenna strips. With the 4S, they added more segments and insulators to the steel antenna band.

It was both, the signal definately could be interrupted with a certain grip, but the signal bars were incorrect based on software too. Still it was a ‘big’ issue at the time. I had the iPhone 4 and never had a complaint. My favorite iPhone design of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

am getting cold feet...may go with the 8...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

DubDJ wrote: »
    It was both, the signal definately could be interrupted with a certain grip, but the signal bars were incorrect based on software too. Still it was a ‘big’ issue at the time. I had the iPhone 4 and never had a complaint. My favorite iPhone design of all.

Agreed. The 4 was a lovely looking phone at the time. Nicest designed iPhone imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sorry lads. Still not decided on 64 or 256. This is disastrous!

Who is going with a 64gb?

Was in the 3 store earlier the X is €569 on the 60pm no surprise really a little lower than I expected.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/25/this-video-shows-the-iphone-xs-crazy-app-switching-swipe/

Haven’t seen the app switcher like this looks so smooth.

faceman wrote: »
    Sorry lads. Still not decided on 64 or 256. This is disastrous!

Who is going with a 64gb?

I think for the extra €170 go with the 256 you know you want too..

DubDJ wrote: »

Yeah at the end of the day it was a questionable hardware design causing an issue which was easy for everyone to replicate, so Apple shouldn’t have let it through (and I remember that a senior engineer was said to have resigned before the release of the phone because he was not happy with the design but it was forced upon him by management).

But in practice it had very little impact on users and certainly didn’t affect that fact that the iPhone 4 was one of Apple’s best overall smartphone design.

In terms of the software I don’t think the signal bars were actually incorrect. They were just different from other the ones manufacturers which were for exemple still showing let’s say 3/5 bars on the UI when actuall recetion was 20% of the maximum signal strength (whereas Apple would more honestly only display one bar in that situation). Apple amended their algorithm to mirror what others were doing (and there are arguments to do it either way - you can say the logarithmic scale others were using was hiding real signal weakness, but also that it made sense to have better granularity when the signal is poor).

And one (I think) very futile thing they did during that time is still obvious in ios11: the lower bar for signal strength used to be very short (just a few pixels) and it is now almost half the height of the full signal bar. Doesn’t change anything in practice but I guess showing a tall bar was seen as a psychological fix for customers complaining :-D

I’m going for a 64GB, the cost saving and the fact I don’t need over 64GB is perfect for me. If you’re stuck deciding just look at what you have remaining now, and maybe try think back to how much the storage increased over the past year or so.

I’m using 19GB of my 32GB at the moment so I know 64GB will be fine for me.

• Advertisement

I got the 8 recently and went 64gb. It's plenty. I don't record much video which at 4k would be a data killer but I would use online storage services so it's not really an issue.

€170 extra on top of €1100 is just a rip off.

Advertisement