Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oceanwave1

Hi Guys,

I am in the US for the next couple of weeks and considering buying the iPhone X over here. However Apple aren't offering a Factory Unlocked model at checkout but they give you the option to buy an "Unlocked iPhone X with AT&T SIM". I've read online that this will be an unlocked AT&T phone.
    Anyone know anything more on this and if this phone will work here on the Eir network?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Clearly they are getting a very fat margin on those 170 euros.

But having said that if someone is paying over 1000 for a phone they won’t want to risk having to constantly struggle for storage on it.

So they know that while it’s indeed a bit of a rip-off many customers (i.e. anyone currently using 50+ gigs on their phone) will have to pay.

I’m in that situation: currently 59GB used on my 128GB iPhone 7. I could probably clean up some stuff to bring this down to 45-50GB. But do I really want to have to constantly pay attention to storage usage if I am to get a very high end smartphone? Absolutely not so I can’t really go for the 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jamesoc85

Pre order on eir is live

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

iancairns wrote: »

annoying I can't upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

And that’s Apples trick. Anyone who went for the 32gb had to go for the 64gb when the 32 was got rid of. Then when the 64gb was gone we went for the 128gb. Now it’s 256gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

faceman wrote: »
    Sorry lads. Still not decided on 64 or 256. This is disastrous!

Who is going with a 64gb?
    I have a 128GB 7 at the moment. Im going with the 64GB X, because every photo and video I take gets uploaded to google photos. I'm not going to be walking around with 4k videos in my pocket all the time. So I cant see the justification for needingthe extra storage if im honest, my iPad has the 256GB for when I download half of Netflix but thats about it.

Doylers wrote: »
    I have a 128GB 7 at the moment. Im going with the 64GB X, because every photo and video I take gets uploaded to google photos. I'm not going to be walking around with 4k videos in my pocket all the time. So I cant see the justification for needingthe extra storage if im honest, my iPad has the 256GB for when I download half of Netflix but thats about it.

Thinking exact same myself. This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I couldn’t go back in memory size had a 7 plus 128GB it’s 256 for me.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »

But whats on your phone? Would love to see what the settings/general/iphone storage breakdown is. Sorry for being noisy :P

• Advertisement

Google is bringing uncompressed photo and video storage to an end shortly.

But whats on your phone? Would love to see what the settings/general/iphone storage breakdown is. Sorry for being noisy :P

Don’t have the stats as I sold it used around 50% of the storage.

mad muffin wrote: »

Google is bringing uncompressed photo and video storage to an end shortly.
    There already compressing on their unlimited photo storage tier. I'm on their paid subscriptions, is that included too?

There already compressing on their unlimited photo storage tier. I'm on their paid subscriptions, is that included too?

That I don’t know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

In terms of space, when I moved from a 6 to the 8 I went from using 40Gbs storage to 12 or so. Apple removes apps you dont use frequently, and downloads them when you do use them. Generally, with some exceptions where i was annoyed that I needed a download, that works pretty well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Where you guys seeing the X on Three or Eir's website? I'm not seeing nought.

faceman wrote: »
    Where you guys seeing the X on Three or Eir's website? I'm not seeing nought.

I seen the 3 offer instore

Eir one is here https://www.eir.ie/store/mobile/phones/bill-pay/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

For those wondering about storage...

I have a 64GB 6S. I was having hassle with it a while back, so I did a full wipe / restore from cloud. Before the restore, I was using approx 45-50GB. During the restore, I think it gave me the option to "store high res photos in iCloud" which I probably ticked. Doing that means that I am now only using about 20GB! The photos on my phone must be the low res versions but they still look good to me - on the phone screen...

Therefore, with modern cloud storage availability, etc, whether its iCloud / Google photos (excellent app imo) / Dropbox - I don't think there's a pressing need for large capacity phones. So I'll be sticking with 64GB if I order one...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

What time are the other networks ready for pre-order? Is it 8:01am aswell?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was in the 3 store earlier the X is €569 on the 60pm no surprise really a little lower than I expected.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/25/this-video-shows-the-iphone-xs-crazy-app-switching-swipe/

Haven’t seen the app switcher like this looks so smooth.

So switching apps means you've to go through them one at a time like that?

Is there no way to bring up the full list of open apps like you can by double tapping home on other models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

What’s the plan for tomorrow, open the app at exactly 8:01 with the phone saved as a favorite? Or do you open app at 8:00 and refresh at 8:01?

awec wrote: »
    So switching apps means you've to go through them one at a time like that?

Is there no way to bring up the full list of open apps like you can by double tapping home on other models?

Swipe up and stop in the middle of the screen. App switcher.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I’m the same, 123 of 128GB used. 84G photos, 6G messages, and loads of 1Gb apps.

256 for me would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

copacetic wrote: »
    I’m the same, 123 of 128GB used. 84G photos, 6G messages, and loads of 1Gb apps.

84GB of photos... yikes! how often d you look at them!

I shove mine into the cloud!

iancairns wrote: »
    Bah, they've hidden details again. You could have ordered online earlier. Now you can't!

Considering the cost of the phone to begin with it would be mad not to spend the extra on the 256 that's what I'm aiming for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

snowflaker wrote: »
    copacetic wrote: »

84GB of photos... yikes! how often d you look at them!

I shove mine into the cloud!

Someone who is a very regular photographer and has been storing all their photos in iPhoto and now iCloud Photo Library for the past 10 or 15 years, every the “optimise storage” version of the pictures could take up that much space (with the full size versions only stored in iCloud).

I’m far from that but still the optimised version of my library takes up almost 30gb (the full size version is a roughly 80gb).

If people value their photos then they should have a hard copy of them , either printed or stored on Optical disk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks. Not showing up on Eir for me, must have taken it down.

Re photos and storage I use Dropbox so I just upload stuff there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Am still undecided on which size phone to get!

Anyone paying the €229 for AppleCare+ ????

Advertisement