Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes -ideally they should have gone all lightning if they wanted something proprietary the control, or all USB-C if using a standard port was seen as the priority. Doing a bit of both while also keeping regular regular USB into the mix is a bit of a mess.

But clearly the immediate future of charging at least for small devices is wireless. In the short to medium term port standards won't matter tou much anymore as we'll all have a few mats/furnitures in the house and the office which charge our devices just by dropping them on the mat/piece of furniture.

Agreed. In a couple of years things may have settled down to a more consistent approach. Right now it’s all over the place. If I had to buy a new phone, a 7 or 8 would do me. Let the new tech of the X become “the norm” for a cycle or two, then jump on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Agreed. In a couple of years things may have settled down to a more consistent approach. Right now it’s all over the place. If I had to buy a new phone, a 7 or 8 would do me. Let the new tech of the X become “the norm” for a cycle or two, then jump on board.

delayed-gratification-aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

In terms of pre-orders on the apple site, is it the case that if the release time is 12:01am in Califonia that it'll be 8:01am that pre-orders are available here. I always forget and it's been a few years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The only thing missing in the X for me is the pro-motion display Apple added to the latest iPads. After using one it really is a step ahead in terms of performance. Everything else was basically what was expected, and glad they included Bluetooth 5 as I'm hoping that kicks off The way Qi wireless has.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DubDJ wrote: »
    The only thing missing in the X for me is the pro-motion display Apple added to the latest iPads. After using one it really is a step ahead in terms of performance.

It is indeed a bit cheap not to include this on a brand new flagship model which sells for significantly more money than any previous one.

• Advertisement

It is indeed a bit cheap not to include this on a brand new flagship model which sells for significantly more money than any previous one.
    Probably be on next years model :) I'd imagine it could of been due to manufacturing difficulties and Apple not risking any issues with putting so much new tech into a screen.

One thing I didn't see mentioned much throughout the event was 3D Touch. I find it really useful and would miss it if it was gone. It doesn't seem to be high on Apple's priority list though, they rarely mention it anymore.

DubDJ wrote: »

One thing I didn't see mentioned much throughout the event was 3D Touch. I find it really useful and would miss it if it was gone. It doesn't seem to be high on Apple's priority list though, they rarely mention it anymore.

Yes this and the fact tha they never brought it to the iPad (I understand it would be harder to implement on a larger device but nothing Apple can't do) kind of imply a lack of dedication to the technology.

The fact that not all iOS devices support it really limits its adoption I think as:
    1) it makes it a bit inconsistent and confusing when switching device thus discouraging people from using it.
    2) it can not become a core part of UI interactions as since not all devices support it, it can only ever be a second way for doing things rather than the main way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

iPhone X has 3D Touch.

mad muffin wrote: »
    iPhone X has 3D Touch.

What we meant is that while the functionality is there Apple doesn't talk about it anymore. Also, I think it is significant that they removed the original 3D Touch multitasking gesture from iOS a few months ago and none of the new gestures they introduced with the iPhone X are leveraging 3D Touch.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does anyone use 3d touch? I pretty much never do.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Does anyone use 3d touch? I pretty much never do.

I sometimes use it but not frequently and clearly not enough to justify its presence.

My main use case is to force touch on the Settings App to get direct access to battery consumption for each application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

My main use case is to force touch on the Settings App to get direct access to battery consumption for each application.
    AWESOME! I didn't know about that! Now I use 3DTouch :)

I use it a lot for previewing links without actually opening them fully. Same with the music app, I 3D Touch menus etc and get the context menus which I find great.

Even during the event when they were listing technologies such as multitouch, Retina and Touch ID they just skipped past 3D Touch as one of its innovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I use 3D Touch all the time from phone favourites which I find really handy and WhatsApp and Spotify

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

AWESOME! I didn't know about that! Now I use 3DTouch :)

Those are a lot of R&D dollars spent just to give us quick access to battery usage :-) But fairly convenient indeed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

I have a 6s plus, and I'm out of contract and I was looking to change, its a toss up between the 8s plus and the X. But the bit I can't figure out is using the wireless charging with a case? I have had an Otterbox defender on all my phones, it ruins the aesthetic, and ads serious weight, but its necessary for protection of the phone. I don't fancy having to take the defender off to charge it, or else see if they have come up with another way of wireless charging with the case on. Thoughts??

rockwell wrote: »
    I have a 6s plus, and I'm out of contract and I was looking to change, its a toss up between the 8s plus and the X. But the bit I can't figure out is using the wireless charging with a case? I have had an Otterbox defender on all my phones, it ruins the aesthetic, and ads serious weight, but its necessary for protection of the phone. I don't fancy having to take the defender off to charge it, or else see if they have come up with another way of wireless charging with the case on. Thoughts??

I don't think it will require the phone to be in direct contact with the charging pad so it should work provided a case is only made of materials which don't interfere (it probably no metal) and is not too thick.

It might be too early to discuss a specific case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

I don't think it will require the phone to be in direct contact with the charging pad so it should work provided a case is only made of materials which don't interfere (it probably no metal) and is not too thick.

It might be too early to discuss a specific case though.

Otterbox have the X case on the website, email when available, there is no change to the structure compared to current cases, there is the gap in the back where the camera is and then where the apple symbol is, but whether that would be enough, I don't know, as the phone wouldn't be in direct contact anywhere with the wireless mat. The defender is quite a chunky case, complete plastic front and back then a rubber outer layer ontop of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I think I'll be ordering the X directly from Apple- anyone know anyone that can get an employee discount? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'll stick to my 6s as it does everything I need it to do, but if I liked android I'd go for a Samsung S8 as it's a beautiful phone but I just don't like the O/S. as for the iphone 10 that black cut out at the top does not look right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

snowflaker wrote: »
    I think I'll be ordering the X directly from Apple- anyone know anyone that can get an employee discount? :D

It's going to be late november early December before the staff get their discounts on new model phones!

A friend of mine last year offered me their discount and it was almost 2 months after launch before i could avail of it.

I had already got the phone from Eir before they were able to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

eeloe wrote: »
    It's going to be late november early December before the staff get their discounts on new model phones!

A friend of mine last year offered me their discount and it was almost 2 months after launch before i could avail of it.

I had already got the phone from Eir before they were able to get it.

It could be a lot longer (months) if supplies are constrained as analysts are making out.

It could be a lot longer (months) if supplies are constrained as analysts are making out.

Yeah I think it is mostly based on availability with not pre-defined timeline.

Back in the days my girlfriend got an iPhone SE with employee discount on the week it launched, but that's probably because demand for it was not very high.

sean72 wrote: »
    In terms of pre-orders on the apple site, is it the case that if the release time is 12:01am in Califonia that it'll be 8:01am that pre-orders are available here. I always forget and it's been a few years.....

Anyone got an answer on this? .... could save me a nights sleep lol

Anyone got an answer on this? .... could save me a nights sleep lol

If you go on to apple.ie-iPhone X. It says it right there. Preorders start at 8:01.

I'll be right there on the 27th of October ready to preorder my 256GB Space Grey iPhone X :D

If you go on to apple.ie-iPhone X. It says it right there. Preorders start at 8:01.

I'll be right there on the 27th of October ready to preorder my 256GB Space Grey iPhone X :D

Thanks ... for the life of me I can't find that time on the page, I see the date .... but I will be there too lol :D. I SEE IT NOW!

Are you going 64 or 256? I have 64gb 6S plus at the minute and with cloud storage I can't see why I need more but I can't see why I need a €1000+ phone either.:eek:

Thanks ... for the life of me I can't find that time on the page, I see the date .... but I will be there too lol :D. I SEE IT NOW!

Are you going 64 or 256? I have 64gb 6S plus at the minute and with cloud storage I can't see why I need more but I can't see why I need a €1000+ phone either.:eek:

I have the 128GB iPhone 7 right now. I've used up 43GB on it. I don't really want to start micro managing my storage.

I have a few good games, I keep my music on the phone just in case I have no 3G. (I'm looking at you Tesco Mobile). Live Photos, and 4K videos.

I'm already spending €1179. What's another €170?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

How do you turn it off if the power button is now for Siri?

You hold the power button and one volume button at the same time.

Underwhelming about sums the X up but a good phone all the same.

I was very surprised to learn the A11 chip has the same power or very close to the I5 in the macbook pro !!!! :eek:

It literally blows any Android mobile device out of the water and likely for some time to come !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Underwhelming about sums the X up but a good phone all the same.

I was very surprised to learn the A11 chip has the same power or very close to the I5 in the macbook pro !!!! :eek:

It literally blows any Android mobile device out of the water and likely for some time to come !

So how can it be underwhelming then?

Advertisement