Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And who honestly cares? It's Apple's profit; as long as the phone is quality for the end users, that's all we (unless you have shares) should really care about.

I think as people who are interested in Apple products and as customers we do care a bit about how well it sells. Apple has bumped the top of the line pricing a good bit and is testing a new high for price acceptability, so it could be a benchmark for future iPhones pricing. Good sales and they'll keep that pricing, bad sales and they will probably reduce it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Did anyone get it for pick up from Victoria square ?
    I seen it at one point but then couldn't select it so had to go with delivery meaning i went from 2-3 weeks to 5-6 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think as people who are interested in Apple products and as customers we do care a bit about how well it sells. Apple has bumped the top of the line pricing a good bit and is testing a new high for price acceptability, so it could be a benchmark for future iPhones pricing. Good sales and they'll keep that pricing, bad sales and they will probably reduce it a bit.
    I know what you are saying; but what you are speaking about is still the impact to the end user.

I was speaking about those who care that Apple made €xBillion (in the Apple/Samsung or iOS/Android argument borefest between fanboys).
    Apple is a corporation who cares as much about u as the next one. I don’t lock in my loyalty to them despite being a customer for good period of time. I owe them nothing, they just owe me a product that’s within their promises; I buy it or not after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Apple literally said not one word about shortages or lack of them. That’s all analyst speculation.

Apple PR don’t comment directly themselves, they provide tidbits and stories to trusted outlets. They were either very concerned about supply levels or wanted to increase hipe or both. As other people have said we will never really know but it is how they have operated in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Castlebel

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Did anyone get it for pick up from Victoria square ?
    I seen it at one point but then couldn't select it so had to go with delivery meaning i went from 2-3 weeks to 5-6 :(

I have it ordered for pickup at the Belfast Apple store on 3rd November. Ordered through the Apple store app at 8:05 yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Razor Russ wrote: »
    Apple PR don’t comment directly themselves, they provide tidbits and stories to trusted outlets. They were either very concerned about supply levels or wanted to increase hipe or both. As other people have said we will never really know but it is how they have operated in the past
    Most of these rumours came from the supply chain rather than unnamed sources (i.e. potentially Apple PR). As Tim Cook has repeatedly pointed out, using statements from companies in the supply chain is not a way to gage Apple's supply or demand. If one supplier has had orders cut, or is struggling to fulfil the order, they don't know what other suppliers Apple are using for the same components. Very few parts only have a single supplier, and none of those suppliers tend to make statements about how they are doing in relation to Apple product releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

We will never know but apparently we do know.

No evidence of Apple involved at all. Analysts look at the supply chain and make their guesses.

What Apple needs is high sales per quarter not some hype about shortages which might stop people from buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Johnmb wrote: »
    Most of these rumours came from the supply chain rather than unnamed sources (i.e. potentially Apple PR). As Tim Cook has repeatedly pointed out, using statements from companies in the supply chain is not a way to gage Apple's supply or demand. If one supplier has had orders cut, or is struggling to fulfil the order, they don't know what other suppliers Apple are using for the same components. Very few parts only have a single supplier, and none of those suppliers tend to make statements about how they are doing in relation to Apple product releases.

The OLED screen does have a single supplier, though, so in this case the rumours ring very true.

It’s part of the reason Apple have fronted billions of dollars to LG to ramp up their OLED production so that they don’t have to rely solely on Samsung for such an essential component.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Can’t wait to get my hands on it next Friday. Was rewatching this earlier. Phone looks so great

https://youtu.be/K4wEI5zhHB0

Yeah looks good can't wait to get it !

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    The OLED screen does have a single supplier, though, so in this case the rumours ring very true.

It’s part of the reason Apple have fronted billions of dollars to LG to ramp up their OLED production so that they don’t have to rely solely on Samsung for such an essential component.
    The OLED screens weren't the rumoured main constraint, and Samsung aren't big on divulging any actual problems. The main reason Apple are trying to get LG ramped up is so that they aren't reliant on Samsung for the part. The front camera structure was the main rumoured constraint. That came from the supply chain, not Apple, and doesn't seem to have been as big an issue as rumoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Can’t wait to get my hands on it next Friday. Was rewatching this earlier. Phone looks so great

https://youtu.be/K4wEI5zhHB0

Jony Ive gives me the heebie jeebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

JoeA3 wrote: »

There is something very Patrick Bateman about him.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's the English accent, we've been raised by Hollywood to associate it with evil genius psychopaths! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seen on Twitter a few of the iPhones have started to despatch. Supposedly if you paste in the order number (minus the last 2 digits) on the ups site it shows if it has already left China and is on its way.

Also seen one or two unboxing videos which were only a few seconds long. Probably reviewers who have gotten their hands on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Will DHL be delivering all the Irish iPhones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

FourFourFM wrote: »

Why oh dear? The dude was stupid. I’ve heard of people getting fired for much less in Apple. He obviously signed an NDA and breached it.

I saw the video a few days ago and read about him being let go today.

To be honest the guy was a bit stupid. He let his daughter come inside the Apple Campus and film his prototype iPhone with full knowledge that she was going to make it a youtube video.

He for sure signed an NDA and it is not possible for him not to have known he was not allowed to release pictures of footage of that phone. He probably just wanted to please his daughter and thought only her friends would see the video, but of course nowadays any such video will go viral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Why oh dear? The dude was stupid. I’ve heard of people getting fired for much less in Apple. He obviously signed an NDA and breached it.

Oh dear because it’s still unfortunate that a man lost his job over his daughters careless actions. Of course he should have known better than to let her in there with a DSLR videoing the whole thing. Still not a nice situation for him.

Reason for posting though was mainly to show people here another view of the iPhone they’re getting soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Oh dear because it’s still unfortunate that a man lost his job over his daughters careless actions. Of course he should have known better than to let her in there with a DSLR videoing the whole thing. Still not a nice situation for him.

Reason for posting though was mainly to show people here another view of the iPhone they’re getting soon.
    He knew full well what he was doing. If he’s a good engineer he’ll fall into another job if he hasn’t already.

Of course he should have known better than to let her in there with a DSLR videoing the whole thing. Still not a nice situation for him.

It is actually strange that the Apple security staff let it happen as having watched the original video she was clearly not hiding what she was doing and even has footage interacting with several staff members. Some of them will be in trouble as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Still in stock with some of the carriers, finally got voda site to work today.

Anyone here with a 3rd or 7th of November delivery date with a status of anything other than preparing for dispatch? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

1000€ for a phone is too much for me, I'll opt out this time. Enjoy to all the lucky ducks who can afford this one, unfortunately I can't leave the baby without formula for a year!

Kagawa wrote: »
    Anyone here with a 3rd or 7th of November delivery date with a status of anything other than preparing for dispatch? TIA

Still "Preparing to Ship" and I don't expect to see it ship till Tuesday or Wednesday.

Rew wrote: »
    Still "Preparing to Ship" and I don't expect to see it ship till Tuesday or Wednesday.

Just hope I still might get it Friday,

Kagawa wrote: »
    Just hope I still might get it Friday,

Im on 3rd of Nov shipping and ill post here when it goes to shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I keep checking the store app hoping to see the delivery date creep up to next week.

• Advertisement

Looks like shipping times have stabilised to 5-6 weeks. So there is constrained supply but nothing unseen before and probably not as bad as rumours could lead us to believe.

Advertisement