Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

When He was outside he was holding the phone pretty far away when he was trying to unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

faceman wrote: »
    Not sure if this first impressions review by The Verge has been posted yet. It’s quite subjective and it’s not really a glowing review.

Comments about FaceId and the screen are concerning. I’ll wait for the full review but I may cancel my order if they’re still saying the same things about the phone.

I wouldn’t be too worried. He was trying to unlock it at quit an oblique angle. Besides. You have 14 days to use it for yourself before returning it. Also when Touch ID came out Apple had to tweak the software a bit after its initial release.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Vodafone confirming delivery this Friday! :D
    Vodafone: Darren said:
    Hi there,
    From the terms of the preorder offer (at the bottom of this page: https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/offers.html
    ):

Apple iPhone X orders from 9am on Friday 27th  of October and until 1pm on Thursday 2nd of November will be delivered on Friday 3rd of November 2017
    Apple iPhone X orders after 1pm on Thursday 2nd of November 2017 will be delivered on Tuesday 7th  of November and will be subject to standard online delivery terms and conditions

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not sure if this first impressions review by The Verge has been posted yet. It’s quite subjective and it’s not really a glowing review.

Comments about FaceId and the screen are concerning. I’ll wait for the full review but I may cancel my order if they’re still saying the same things about the phone.

The FaceTime inconsistency is showing up in a lot of places so far. Thing is, If you’ve to hold it up to your face selfie style, then it’s not really an acceptable replacement for Touch ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

iancairns wrote: »
    Hi there,
    From the terms of the preorder offer (at the bottom of this page: https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/offers.html
    ):

Apple iPhone X orders from 9am on Friday 27th  of October and until 1pm on Thursday 2nd of November will be delivered on Friday 3rd of November 2017
    Apple iPhone X orders after 1pm on Thursday 2nd of November 2017 will be delivered on Tuesday 7th  of November and will be subject to standard online delivery terms and conditions

Thanks,

I hope thats the same for instore pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

iancairns wrote: »
    Hi there,
    ):

Thanks,

So if you order on Thursday at 10am, you'll 100% get the handset on Friday - How can they guarantee that?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Interesting to read their review where it says

"Unfortunately, the top of the display is marred by that notch, and until a lot of developers do a lot of work to design around it, it’s going to be hard to get the most out of this screen. I mean that literally: a lot of apps don’t use most of the screen right now."

It seems non-updated apps just use the middle of the screen with the top and bottom left blank.

I got an email from Apple the other day (registered as a developer) encouraging me to update my apps to support the X. I guess take-up on this has been relatively slow, hence the prompts to do it.

The written review really causes some concern about that notch.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The gist of the verge review is that if you've ordered it you'll be happy, but if you haven't you won't feel like you're missing out on anything. Seems fair enough based on what we've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

This was the same with the 5 screen and the 6/6plus - loads of Apps not using the full screen or resolution.

Took an incredibly long time to sort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Marques Brownlee unboxing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

A colleague of mine's order status says "delivered by Nov 3rd". He ordered at the same time as me on Friday morning and he originally had the 7th, but his changed to the 3rd over the weekend. Mine still says the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

JoeA3 wrote: »
    A colleague of mine's order status says "delivered by Nov 3rd". He ordered at the same time as me on Friday morning and he originally had the 7th, but his changed to the 3rd over the weekend. Mine still says the 7th.

I’m the same as you, order email came in at 8:05 and I have the 7th, hopefully ours will change to Friday!!

Engadget:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

What cases are folks going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

spannerism wrote: »
    I bought one from Totallee, one of the really slim minimal cases. Mainly to protect against small bumps and scratches.

One thing to remember with these reviews is that a lot of apps haven't been updated to support the iPhone X because it hasn't officially been released yet. There will be a good few app updates rolling out Friday and over the weekend adding support. The big name apps are usually quick enough but smaller, less popular apps will take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

DubDJ wrote: »
    I bought one from Totallee, one of the really slim minimal cases. Mainly to protect against small bumps and scratches.

Link?

mad muffin wrote: »

Link?

You can buy directly from their site but I got mine from Amazon so I’d have it before Friday and it was a little cheaper too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075RTJ53L/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

spannerism wrote: »

This leather case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07519VNCH

Also, ordered this Qi charger:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074QGFDMM

This arrived today. Not happy with the case - looks a bit crappy in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I went for the 8 plus myself as I really didn't like that notch on the X. It has not been executed as I had expected.

I had expected it to be an extra piece of screen estate to carry the status icons but when I saw how video and apps wrap around it I was shocked.

Now when watching video you get a smaller screen than the plus which is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    Now when watching video you get a smaller screen than the plus which is shocking.

Given the much smaller form factor of the X compared to the 8 plus I don’t see how it is shocking. It was clear from the start that extra screen real estate is mostly coming from making the display taller and stretching the aspect ratio. So unless you watch content with very wide aspect ratio (i.e. movies in there original format) it was never gonna deliver an output as large as a plus model.

The guy on the Verge review seemed to have some details wrong, other reviews show video running full screen tucked up against the notch but not overlapping it. I suspect he was running an app that wasn't updated for the X yet.

https://youtu.be/C7thVetfYyo?t=42s

Bob24 wrote: »
    Given the much smaller form factor of the X compared to the 8 plus I don’t see how it is shocking. It was clear from the start that extra screen real estate is mostly coming from making the display taller and stretching the aspect ratio. So unless you watch content with very wide aspect ratio (i.e. movies in there original format) it was never gonna deliver an output as large as a plus model.

I find the design of having an ugly notch in the display to be poor. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

but the screen is physically smaller. how is it shocking when they've made it smaller than the plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

You can buy directly from their site but I got mine from Amazon so I’d have it before Friday and it was a little cheaper too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075RTJ53L/

Does it have the Apple logo on it ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

but the screen is physically smaller. how is it shocking when they've made it smaller than the plus?

Because it's promoted by Apple as 5.8 inch screen whilst a Plus is 5.5 inch but the reality is that the notch has reduced that.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Because it's promoted by Apple as 5.8 inch screen whilst a Plus is 5.5 inch but the reality is that the notch has reduced that.

Nah the notch has nothing to do with it. It's thinner than the plus screen, that's why it's smaller. 5.8 and 5.5 are diagonally measured, so sure if you measure the X screen diagonally you'll get 5.8 but that's because it's taller than then plus. It's thinner as well. Slightly wider than the regular 8 screen.

http://i.imgur.com/1hwO7j0_d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it is 5.8" on the diagonal

Advertisement