Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Rew wrote: »

I ordered this one too! First time getting an Otterbox. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

stimpson wrote: »
    This is £15 and does 15W https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074QGFDMM

And is the charger I posted good for 7.5W?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I ordered this one too! First time getting an Otterbox. :)

I have had a few over the years, have the same one on my iPhone 7 ATM and its taken a lot of abuse in the last 12 months without any issues.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I got confirmed from eir yesterday that i’ll get a nightline notification tomorrow and it’ll be delivered to me on Friday!

My case and screen protectors landed yesterday!

Can’t wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

mad muffin wrote: »

No-one waiting for the Apple pad? It will surely charge at max speed and also support charging multiple Apple devices at the same time (for me that's a killer feature with a premium since I have an Apple Watch and AirPods which along my iPhone are all getting charged on my bedside table).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Rew wrote: »
    I have had a few over the years, have the same one on my iPhone 7 ATM and its taken a lot of abuse in the last 12 months without any issues.

Good to know! I've seen a lot of people using them, so I decided to give them a go. Got my last two covers from Zazzle and never had any issues with them. Got a Grovemade cover before that, and it broke the first time I dropped it. Never again! My Otterbox should be arriving today or tomorrow anyway. Won't be getting the X for another two weeks or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Don’t get the love for wireless charging. If the Apple Watch is anything to go by, you can’t use the device while its being used.

We’ll be at the stage someday in the near future where devices can charge over the air. Now that will be a game changer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

faceman wrote: »
    Don’t get the love for wireless charging. If the Apple Watch is anything to go by, you can’t use the device while its being used.

We’ll be at the stage someday in the near future where devices can charge over the air. Now that will be a game changer.

Unless it speeds up it won’t be. Yeh you can’t use the phone when charged in. If I got a pad I would hook it up at work, at a home desk or table, or maybe even the kitchen. A place to drop and recharge when busy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Unless it speeds up it won’t be. Yeh you can’t use the phone when charged in. If I got a pad I would hook it up at work, at a home desk or table, or maybe even the kitchen. A place to drop and recharge when busy elsewhere.

That’s my plan. I’m putting it in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Want wireless charging for next to the bed, inevitably I wake my missus fiddling with the cables for overnight charging. I'm expecting comments for inability to find the right hole in the dark. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My card’s been charged for the phone this morning, but still says delivery Nov 7th. But oddly I’m not charged yet at all for the Apple case that’s due to arrive today?!

So I’m not so sure that the date they charge the card is much indication of shipment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Tazium wrote: »
    Want wireless charging for next to the bed, inevitably I wake my missus fiddling with the cables for overnight charging. I'm expecting comments for inability to find the right hole in the dark. :)

Ha well you not alone, going to bed trying to get phone and watch on charge and not wake the baby etc. My wife forgets to charge her phone half the time so its a killer feature for here if all she has to do is put it on the pad!

I normally charge my phone at night only so the slow wireless charge on a pad is perfect for me. Prob get one for me desk at work.

Tazium wrote: »

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

And is the charger I posted good for 7.5W?

Yep. Assuming you don't have lots of other things plugged in. W is A x V. USB is 5V so 7.5W will draw 1.5A. That can put out 4.6A in total.

I charge the 6S Plus once a day and usually get a full 12 hr shift and still have plenty of battery and that’s with some hours of streaming and odd bit of browsing.

If someone is killing their batteries needing a top up during the day at work then I’d love their job! :-) especially if they work 8 he’s !!!

I charge the 6S Plus once a day and usually get a full 12 hr shift and still have plenty of battery and that’s with some hours of streaming and odd bit of browsing.

If someone is killing their batteries needing a top up during the day at work then I’d love their job! :-) especially if they work 8 he’s !!!

No WiFi and poor cellular reception will hit the battery hard even with light or no use (that’s the case in my office)

Also if people have a long commute and use the phone let’s say to stream video content through cellular data on their way to work and back, that will cause a pretty heavy battery drain. One hour of video streaming while on the move will drain close to 30% battery on my 7.

And Plus models have significantly better battery life but not everyone wants a very large phone. So non Plus users will be much more likely to required intra-day charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bob24 wrote: »
    No-one waiting for the Apple pad? It will surely charge at max speed and also support charging multiple Apple devices at the same time (for me that's a killer feature with a premium since I have an Apple Watch and AirPods which along my iPhone are all getting charged on my bedside table).

You’re going to have to buy a new AirPods case for wireless charging

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You’re going to have to buy a new AirPods case for wireless charging

Yep I know that, but really it’s just a once-off. From now on all new accessories which are good candidates for wireless charging will probably come with it as standard (for exemple future gen Apple Pencil and Apple TV remote)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

The new pad wont change the older version of the air-pods or an apple watch thats not series 3, just keep that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Just checked account... Apple charged for my phone... awaiting shipping notification now!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Just checked account... Apple charged for my phone... awaiting shipping notification now!! :eek:

whats your delivery date?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »

Mine was charged on the 30th. Still not shipped.

My case arrived!
    I’m quite surprised that it seems only marginally bigger than my current 6S case.

This pic will give you an idea of the size comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

stimpson wrote: »
    Mine was charged on the 30th. Still not shipped.

They have definitely shipped. Shipped from China to the UK where they will be divided up and then shipped to Ireland at some stage Thursday for delivery on Friday or early next week depending on your location.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    My case arrived!
    I’m quite surprised that it seems only marginally bigger than my current 6S case.

This pic will give you an idea of the size comparison.

The pic actually makes it look quite visibly larger in both dimensions.

I’m still on the fence about the X but this is an issue for me. The 7 is already borderline for some of my trousers pockets, that size increase could be a problem for me if this is going to be the new smallest size for flagship iPhones going forward.

The pic actually makes it look quite visibly larger in both dimensions.

I’m still on the fence about the X but this is an issue for me. The 7 is already borderline for some of my trousers pockets, that size increase could be a problem for me if this is going to be the new smallest size for flagship iPhones going forward.

Wait for skinny jeans to go out of fashion? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm wondering can i just go to bed now and wake up on friday please?

Sitting in work here, and my case and screen protectors are looking at me funny! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That was always going to be the case when you launch 2 different phones at the same time. People are always going to wait or go with the better option. If there was no X, the 8 sales would have been very similar to the 7.

The iPhone 8/+ is a very good phone in its own right, but comparing it to X, if you had the money, you'd wait. That's natural. I don't think that makes the 8 a bad phone.

It's clear that they are creating different price point streams. The $100 increase or so from 6 up to 8 will appeal to various audiences. I don't think the 8 and X are even meant to compete. They are targeted at slightly different groups and pockets depths.

In my own case, I live in California and I have the iPhone 6s from my employer for my work phone (hopefully I can change that soon as iOS 11 is killing my battery life). I kept my Irish number as well and just switched it to pre-pay so that I can keep the number and top it up a few time per year. I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on that number and it was recently stolen. As there are very good deals now on iPhone 7, I think that I might just get the 7 Plus to replace that. As it's a phone that I won't use that much (only when I'm back home a few times per year), it's a no brainer. I wouldn't spend crazy amounts on an X for that.

You're essentially making my case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I really want to upgrade to something but there are far too many downsides, 
    I would happily pay a huge premium if it the device was out of this world. For that money I'd like a screen which didn't have a lump taken out of it and I'd like to be able to open it hassle free.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Wait for skinny jeans to go out of fashion? :pac:

Problem is not skinny jeans (I don’t like them) but more that I’m a fairly skinny person in the first place :-)

Advertisement