Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

It blows any android device out of the water Power wise I meant.

Underwhelming , I suppose that's because there isn't really a lot more you can do with a smartphone. Not saying it isn't going to be a great phone. I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Underwhelming , I suppose that's because there isn't really a lot more you can do with a smartphone. Not saying it isn't going to be a great phone. I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

Actually *if* we are entering an era whereby smartphones are not instantly made look old when a new model is released every year, I think I'd personally be happy with that.

I would prefer being able to buy a device which while expensive is also very well constructed and designed to last for a couple years without starting to have a significant feature gap with recent models. I used to get excitement from buying a new model each year but I've came to prefer well crafted object which are designed with care and to last. Of course the nature of buying what is a fairly high-tech product goes against that a bit and I am not asking for a 10 years lifespan, but still the lifecycle as a product which doesn't feel technologically outdated could be longer.

I think the issue is that Smartphones are so common now that they never again make people go "wow" they're so fast that they'll still be good in 5 years. My Macbook Pro 13" I bought in 2015 is still as good as new , still plenty fast, great battery life etc, my Ipad Air is as good as the day I got it and runs everything smoothly which in fairness too is due to the support from Apple for the product for some time + the software , apps etc is designed for a small number of devices compared to Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

snowflaker wrote: »
    I think I'll be ordering the X directly from Apple- anyone know anyone that can get an employee discount? :D
    eeloe wrote: »
    It's going to be late november early December before the staff get their discounts on new model phones!

A friend of mine last year offered me their discount and it was almost 2 months after launch before i could avail of it.

I had already got the phone from Eir before they were able to get it.

Yeah, employees have to wait until the initial demand and rush has died down. If they want it at launch, they have to get onto the ordering site at launch time just like everyone else :)
    sean72 wrote: »
    Anyone got an answer on this? .... could save me a nights sleep lol

Yeah, 12 midnight in California on the Thursday is 8 AM in Ireland Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The more I look at the X and its notch the less I like it.

It's implemented badly. Who wants a photo or video with a notch in the way? I know you can tap to narrow it but then it's not using the full screen. The phone is not symmetrical anymore.

It means the phone is not total screen like they claim.

Apple seems to be implementing hardware and software with less of the user experience in mind then they used to and makes me wonder if I'll stick with Apple and iOS in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

murpho999 wrote: »
    The more I look at the X and it's notch the less I like it.

It's implemented badly. Who wants a photo or video with a notch in the way. I know you can tap to narrow it but then it's not using the full screen. The phone is not symmetrical anymore.

It means the phone is not total screen like they claim.

Apple seems to be implementing hardware and software with less of the user experience in mind then they used to and makes me wonder if I'll stick with Apple and iOS in the long run.

I think if you look at it and think what the alternatives were. Add a small bezel to the top and bottom of the device? That means a larger device or small screen. I prefer Apple’s version.

I do sometimes get annoyed by Apple’s choices and think the same, but when it comes to switching who’s actually better than Apple with these smaller details? They definitely are slipping, but I feel they’re still ahead with the overall polish with their software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Who wants a photo or video with a notch in the way.

mmmmm.............the camera doeskin video through the notch?, how would the notch appear in a photo or video?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think if you look at it and think what the alternatives were.
    That's the key here. Until they have the tech to hide all the stuff contained in the notch under the screen (no time soon...) - where else would it go? If they left a bevel it would be an even bigger compromise than there is now.

mmmmm.............the camera doeskin video through the notch?, how would the notch appear in a photo or video?

I think you misunderstand me. I mean how the notch is part of the display.

Like below:

fGEC9TJ.png

So to view the full picture you can tap and narrow it. So you make the screen smaller, which the defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Dades wrote: »
    That's the key here. Until they have the tech to hide all the stuff contained in the notch under the screen (no time soon...) - where else would it go? If they left a bevel it would be an even bigger compromise than there is now.

Does the bezel look so bad on the Galaxy 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’ll take the iPhone X over Samsung’s S8/plus and note 8 any day.

mad muffin wrote: »

Care to say why?
    What's wrong with the S8 or Note 8?
    I've waited a long time for the 'full screen' iPhone and I am disappointed with it and for the first time ever thinking of switching in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Contrary to the marketing images on Apple's site, videos apparently play pillarboxed (no notch) by default. So you have to tap to zoom in (notch).

For more on how this works see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Care to say why?
    I've waited a long time for the 'full screen' iPhone and I am disappointed with it and for the first time ever thinking of switching in the future.

For me it’s the fact that the screen goes down the sides of the phone on the Samsung’s. I like the bezel apple has around the X tbh.

Care to say why?

Where to begin?

Only Samsung can take aluminium and glass and make it look like plastic.

The fingerprint sensor is extremely ill placed.

The phones are narrow and long, making for an awkward looking design.

They are extremely vulnerable when dropped because of the infinite screen design.

Face scan/iris scan not secure at all.

Of course they run android.

Battery life is by all reports sub par.

1200 nite brightness is more marketing scam than real. It only works with auto brightness and for short periods. To preserve battery and the oled screen.

Bixby. I don’t think I need elaborate.

They don’t run iOS.

Oh, and android updates.

Last but not least. I prefer the design of the iPhone X. Notch and all.

One major gripe I have with Apple is the fast they refuse to allow you to update apps or anything over 100 MB on 3G/4G.

Let us decide please Apple !

One major gripe I have with Apple is the fast they refuse to allow you to update apps or anything over 100 MB on 3G/4G.

Let us decide please Apple !

It’s actually 150MB now :p

It’s actually 150MB now :p

lol Yeah if I can actually get to download IOS 11 ffs, pure retarded !

I actually think the Galaxy S8 is still the better looking phone compared to the iPhone X. But I prefer the way Apple has taken up most of the front of the device with screen.

Between the two I think I prefer the all screen design. But being honest it’s iOS that’s keeping me using Apple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I actually think the Galaxy S8 is still the better looking phone compared to the iPhone X. But I prefer the way Apple has taken up most of the front of the device with screen.

Between the two I think I prefer the all screen design. But being honest it’s iOS that’s keeping me using Apple devices.

I would agree with you. I am an apple fan, just bought the 8plus. Looking at those reviews, the S8 front design is a lot nicer. Design has not changed much with apple since the iPhone 6. Just different material's. I just much prefer IOS. I wonder what size the X screen is excluding the notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd rate it above the X as well. It really is a fantastic looking and feeling phone. I've been considering buying one, but I'm fairly locked into Apple's ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Me too, but at the same time I tend to agree with murpho999’s in saying Apple’s solution is not very elegant and could be better. Samsung/Android phones never were my benchmark for what is good design.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Me too, but at the same time I tend to agree with murpho999’s in saying Apple’s solution is not very elegant and could be better. Samsung/Android phones never were my benchmark for what is good design.

Let’s see it in the flesh. I just don’t think the notch is going to be the big drawback, everyone think it might be.

F34 wrote: »
    For me it’s the fact that the screen goes down the sides of the phone on the Samsung’s. I like the bezel apple has around the X tbh.

How do you feel about notch that the X has compared to the small bezel on the top of Samsungs?

Where to begin?

Only Samsung can take aluminium and glass and make it look like plastic.

The fingerprint sensor is extremely ill placed.

The phones are narrow and long, making for an awkward looking design.

They are extremely vulnerable when dropped because of the infinite screen design.

Face scan/iris scan not secure at all.

Of course they run android.

Battery life is by all reports sub par.

1200 nite brightness is more marketing scam than real. It only works with auto brightness and for short periods. To preserve battery and the oled screen.

Bixby. I don’t think I need elaborate.

They don’t run iOS.

Oh, and android updates.

Last but not least. I prefer the design of the iPhone X. Notch and all.

Agree with a lot of what you say, I'm not an Android fan either.

I would disagree though about what you say about the design they look fine

Also, all smartphones are vulnerable when dropped.

Just that I feel that Apple over the last few years care more about branding and profit than the actual user experience with the products.

Software, latest iOS releases have been clunky and less polished than previous versions and they don't seem to fix long standing issues.

Hardware, they have basically released the same phones with better chips for the last 3 years but somehow managed to call them the 6s, 7 & 8.

Now the X is going to be a crazy price in Ireland and it has that ugly obtrusive notch that takes away from the symmetry of the display that shows that Apple have changed their mantra compared to the old days when the product was king.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does the bezel look so bad on the Galaxy 8?
    No it looks fine. In fact I was blown away by the big screen when I first picked one up.

The issue is if you add a bezel to the top, you kinda have to add one to the bottom too, for symmetry - just like Samsung did. So not only would the iPhone X look amost identical to the S8 - it would be ~10mm taller than it would need to be with no extra screen space. (And no doubt Apple wanted to be the first A-list manufacturer to produce a bevel-less device...)

Also, outside of playing video/games, pretty much all app within iOS continue to display signal strength, time, battery life etc. It looks like these will fit either side of the notch meaning no wasted space in almost every scenario. Add a bevel, and you have to display these things on the remaining screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have owned every iPhone since the iPhone 3G to the 7. I got fed up of dated specs and a LCD screen in 2017. Sold the 7 and bought an S8 last April. I'll be pre ordering the X without doubt. The S8 is a brilliant phone and a gorgeous screen but feels cheap in the hand compared to an Apple. I miss IOS because this phone doesn't feel as snappy as my 7, also the edge screen is a pain because it's too sensitive . Oled screen and IOS perfect combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

As someone who goes through a few screens a year dreading the cost of a replacement screen for the x

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I had to purchase an 8+ for my wife (she is not bothered about form factor her Note 4 was on the blink). When I went on to the apple site it said 3-5 business days for delivery. However, things speeded up significantly when I put the order through and in fact it's being delivered today. I really think the uptake of the 8 is extremely poor so I would imagine more people than I thought are willing to wait and pay for the 10 (X).

• Advertisement

Apple are usually conservative with their delivery estimates. It’s actually very rare that I’ve ever gotten anything delivered on the estimated date, it nearly always ends up arriving earlier. Except for a few launch day devices which arrived the day it was officially released.

Advertisement