Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I have to say I’m really happy with the size so far. Never went with a Plus model because of how large they are but this is almost the same as the 4.7”. Perfect size.

Currently updating to iOS 11.1 before I start getting into it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 i.ROBERT.101

Delighted and very jealous of you all today!

How long until me and my fellow 13th - 20th delivery people can start to speculate about delivery dates?? :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

flexcon wrote: »
    it's subjective. I never had issues with DHL.

Contact Apple directly and report and issue you are having with DHL. Let Apple sort it. Experience with UK Mail and Apple and they sorted everything much quicker

I agree with you, DHL are great, UPS are the only ones who repeatedly let me down, every time.

I have mentioned it to Apple when they previously had a delivery a week late, Apple sent me another, and both arrived in 48 hours. But as you can Imagine, and as you see, UPS are still their preferred courier here.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

How long until me and my fellow 13th - 20th delivery people can start to speculate about delivery dates?? :P :P :P

I was hoping my card would be charged by now at least :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 i.ROBERT.101

I was hoping my card would be charged by now at least :(

Same... Still hoping against hope for delivery next friday though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

DHL have delivered mine from Shannon this morning. Apple still saying 7th for delivery

i dont know where but foreign anyways, a guy from dublin rang me and collecting in the morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wouldn’t be surprised if the dates change after the weekend. You’ll have people who pre-ordered who chanced bricks and mortars today and got lucky who’ll end up cancelling pre-orders. Plus word is there is more stock than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Looks like, generally, stock availability was much better then for iPhone 7 release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

First delivery error!!! Aargh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i know its stupid but the animojis are awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

I will be surprised if we get it next Friday - id say we are looking at the 17th (and still within 13-20 timeframe)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cyrus wrote: »
    i know its stupid but the animojis are awesome :D

Yeah they are surprisingly good. Phone is really good, face ID is flawless so far and cameras are much better (front especially). Don't notice the notch TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Only setting up so far, but what I'm finding cool about Face ID is that its a lot quicker than the fingerprint thing in the "setup" scenarios I've gone through.
    E.g. it prompted me to enter my email password - but as I was looking at the phone, it pulled out the cached password. On the older devices it would have prompted you to place your thumb on the home button.

Another thing I notice is, you don't see the battery % at at glance, which is a bit annoying - I guess the "notch" doesn't leave room for it. But if you swipe down from the top right, the % as well as the network operator name appear, along with the control-centre buttons.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bloody ups. No sign of delivery as yet. Central Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Was expecting delivery Tuesday 7th, DHL site now says delivery by end of today! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone try using ApplePay yet? Is authenticating awkward or does the phone regnognize your face from far away and low down @ till level?

Having played with it this morning, Face ID is faster than what the reviewers were showing.

With Apple pay you double click the sleep wake button and glance at the phone. It shows its authenticated your face and then you have 20 seconds to place near a NFC terminal.
    So to be clear like Touch ID - you don't need to look at the device at the same time.

Same with opening. You can begin to swipe up to unlock as you first look at the phone. You don't need to wait and then swipe up. So much faster

Also really cool is notifications. They remain private until you look at a glance and read them. once you look away it goes back to being private and keeps repeating every time you glance at the phone. It's cool. It's futuristic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Well jealous of everyone that has gotten it today! Hoping and praying my 15th-22nd delivery is changed to the Friday before it

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

i actually feel sorry for DHL call centre people with all of ye calling them about your phones!!! and the irony of it all is your calling from a most likely perfectly working iPhone running ios11

i ordered late on purpose so i can actually go into a store and look at it and then decide if my 8plus is no longer worth having.

chill guys.... in a few days time it'll matter not a bit if you got your phone at 8am or 8pm today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

copacetic wrote: »
    Bloody ups. No sign of delivery as yet. Central Dublin.

Ha, no sign of DHL here in central dub but UPS have been and gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

How’s the screen? Daring fireball was saying his review X has a yellower screen than his 8 with both having True Tone set to on. Also he said his X has a red tint towards the bottom.

How’s the off axis viewing angle? Can anyone compare to the Samsung s8 or note 8?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Have Apple said anything about OLED screen burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

mad muffin wrote: »
    How’s the screen? Daring fireball was saying his review X has a yellower screen than his 8 with both having True Tone set to on. Also he said his X has a red tint towards the bottom.

How’s the off axis viewing angle? Can anyone compare to the Samsung s8 or note 8?

Thanks.

It looks whiter compared to the 7. With True time turned off it looks about the same. Slight blue tint when off axis, but you need to be 45 degrees before you notice anything. Nothing to worry about in normal usage.

I was watching Mad Max 2 in 4K on Plex and it was getting transcoded down to 1080p. Looked sensational - amazing detail and really really dark blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

No delivery in north wall quay yet, although UPS were here earlier delivering something else..............................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

3rd party password managers are now integrated with apps. Great experience with Face ID too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Rew wrote: »
    Yeah they are surprisingly good. Phone is really good, face ID is flawless so far and cameras are much better (front especially). Don't notice the notch TBH

Face ID is so smooth and flawless just done my first Apple Pay transaction so easy and smooth. I’m already used to the new gestures screen is amazing don’t even notice the notch and don’t miss the home button at all.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

With my iPhone 7 and 6 there is a small gap between the top of the screen and the body. Dust and other small crap gets in there. Anyone ever experience that on the iPhone since the 6? I wonder if the X has it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not sure I like the keyboard with the wasted space on the bottom.

With my iPhone 7 and 6 there is a small gap between the top of the screen and the body. Dust and other small crap gets in there. Anyone ever experience that on the iPhone since the 6? I wonder if the X has it too?

Since the 6 the whole front is glass going all the way to the top. Not sure what you are referring to.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Check out the verge full review posted today. Goes into detail about the OLED and burn in.

Advertisement