Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As someone who goes through a few screens a year dreading the cost of a replacement screen for the x

how do you go through a few screens a year? I've had every iPhone except the iPhone 3G and - touch wood - never had to replace a screen once

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

DubDJ wrote: »
    Apple are usually conservative with their delivery estimates. It’s actually very rare that I’ve ever gotten anything delivered on the estimated date, it nearly always ends up arriving earlier. Except for a few launch day devices which arrived the day it was officially released.

Well I found them to be very precise with the date they give. I would say that the 8 has the shortest wait I've seen for a new release, possible indicating lower demand and or people waiting it out.

You'd want to be very quick pre-ordering ordering the X, the camera is seemingly hampering production so it will be in very limited supply for the first couple of months at least.

I said I wasn't going to get it but I certainly am, as or slightly more powerful than the current Macbook Pro i5 ? astonishing and leaves anything Android in the dust.

Download the Apple Store app, set up Apple Pay/Credit card, go in and make sure your shipping details are correct, favourites the iPhone X you want to buy.

When 8:01am comes on the preorder day, you log in go to favourites, add to basket and touch id to checkout with apple pay.

this goes into more detail and is a bit more US centric but good tips to get yourself the top of the queue:
    https://www.caseyliss.com/2016/9/9/gimme-dat-iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I read that the Apple store is one of the easier ways to get it but was there not issues with a previous launch where people using the Apple Store app were having issues with orders and ended up having to wait because of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

We really get shafted in this country. I see a normal 256gb iphone 8 (not a plus) 999 euro! I'm dreading to see the final price on an X.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    We really get shafted in this country. I see a normal 256gb iphone 8 (not a plus) 999 euro! I'm dreading to see the final price on an X.

The price has been available on apple.com/ie since they were announced. Again with everything Apple it's worth doing the sums and see how Apple came up with those prices compared to the US pricing.

Funny thing is though, you don't have to pay it. There's plenty of great phones that can be got for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's 1349 for the 256GB version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why do people think this is an Irish thing?

Prices are very similar throughout whole Euro zone. Discrepancies relate to VAT.

It's just the way Apple price their products and use crazy exchange rates.

It's nothing to do with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

It really is a crazy price!

• Advertisement

It is, I'd nearly put that to a new Macbook Pro !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Im not really getting the whole "it runs Android" thing about the Samsungs.

I dont own a Samsung myself but did switch from ios to Android earlier this year after being a long time user and found it pretty seemless and dont have any issues with Android.

It really is a crazy price!

Yep and it will be approx 300 euro cheaper in the USA and someone on here mentioned it's not an irish thing LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Does anyone know what internal speaker setup the iPhone x has. I seen and heard great reviews on the 8 plus’s speakers. Is it the same stereo speaker setup as the 8+???

Yep and it will be approx 300 euro cheaper in the USA and someone on here mentioned it's not an irish thing LOL

I think they mean it's the same price across Europe.

adox wrote: »
    Im not really getting the whole "it runs Android" thing about the Samsungs.

I dont own a Samsung myself but did switch from ios to Android earlier this year after being a long time user and found it pretty seemless and dont have any issues with Android.

I think even with phones, people take sides. It's odd I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Well clearly it is not an Irish thing. If you look at prices before taxes they are pretty much the same across Europe.

Apple is favouring it’s own market and a few other and punishing others which is crap, but Ireland specifically is not treated differently from the rest of Europe or many Asian countries.

I think they mean it's the same price across Europe.

Ah so you can get one in the UK and it will cost the same as here?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bar from VAT differences and exchange rate fluctuation throughout the year, yes the prices are very similar.

Launch price for the 64GB X is 999 GBP (1140 EUR) in the UK and 1179 EUR in Ireland. With VAT here 3% higher than the UK the price before tax is virtually the same.

Well pretty much. Or are you saying it's 300 euro cheaper in the UK ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

There’s not much to be gained from buying the iPhone X from the UK it seems. At £999 it will work out at about €1,140 converted. Add another €4 for parcel motel, and the recommended €10 to increase the PM insurance to cover the cost of the phone and you’re looking at a €25 saving which isn’t worth the hassle.

The recent price increases to the UK store has made all savings insignificant. Pity as previously you could save €100+ buying through Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

As someone who goes through a few screens a year dreading the cost of a replacement screen for the x

how do you go through a few screens a year? I've had every iPhone except the iPhone 3G and - touch wood - never had to replace a screen once
    It's easy, I had 9 screens on my 6 :) Slippy hands is a pain! I learned to change the screens myself after the second.

I've dropped the 6S Plus onto tile floor several times, or rather my 1 year 9 month and 3 year 4 month old have, face first and not a single crack, very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

DubDJ wrote: »
    There’s not much to be gained from buying the iPhone X from the UK it seems. At £999 it will work out at about €1,140 converted. Add another €4 for parcel motel, and the recommended €10 to increase the PM insurance to cover the cost of the phone and you’re looking at a €25 saving which isn’t worth the hassle.

The recent price increases to the UK store has made all savings insignificant. Pity as previously you could save €100+ buying through Parcel Motel.

Yeah I’ve been buying in the UK since the 5s but this year is the first I’ll buy from Apple.ie since the 4s as really is no saving to make.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sean72 wrote: »
    Well I found them to be very precise with the date they give. I would say that the 8 has the shortest wait I've seen for a new release, possible indicating lower demand and or people waiting it out.

Friend of mine in California went into an Apple Store this week to buy an iPhone 8. They had a special offer on where they would throw in an iPad for an additional $99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I've dropped the 6S Plus onto tile floor several times, or rather my 1 year 9 month and 3 year 4 month old have, face first and not a single crack, very impressed.
    Think it’s time to get rid of the kids (o;

Think it’s time to get rid of the kids (o;

lol, it's amazing how they manage to slip it out of my pocket at that age without me noticing, thieves !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

iPhone X 256GB

US selling price before local tax: $1,149
    Irish selling price before Local tax: $1,220 (Todays exchange rate)

So the price difference Apple are charging in Irish is $71 or €60

Apple are asking for €60 more in Ireland before the local government add taxes. Not €300

Of course the phone is crazy money still but for the €60 you are getting your 6 years Consumer law protection and an actual official Apple plug ( which is€30) on the Apple website. Any other price difference is the Irish VAT of 23% which is a local government issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

flexcon wrote: »
    iPhone X 256GB

US selling price before local tax: $1,149
    Irish selling price before Local tax: $1,220 (Todays exchange rate)

So the price difference Apple are charging in Irish is $71 or €60

Apple are asking for €60 more in Ireland before the local government add taxes. Not €300

Of course the phone is crazy money still but for the €60 you are getting your 6 years Consumer law protection and an actual official Apple plug ( which is€30) on the Apple website. Any other price difference is the Irish VAT of 23% which is a local government issue.

Yes but bear in mind the Irish VAT rate is far higher then the US sales tax no matter which state it’s bought in

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Yes but bear in mind the Irish VAT rate is far higher then the US sales tax no matter which state it’s bought in

Yes but the point here is that Apple don’t set the Irish VAT rate but people who spout that it’s so much cheaper in the States blame Apple for price gouging every single time Apple release a product. Where it’s shown multiple times (excluding taxes) that Apple do a fair (accounting for currency fluctuations) price conversion.

Also remember if you were doing it by the letter of the law, buying from the states and bringing it back to Ireland you’d have to pay the VAT anyways.

Advertisement