Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Same as. They’re a joke.

Rang them 3 times from 16:30 onwards. Promised a 17:00 delivery, then one by 19:00 and have now been told it will be Monday.

They’re a disgrace.

Apparently according to my status they attempted at 18:17, people who need their hearing checked in this house didn't hear the door bell, not happy:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

soundsham wrote: »
    Any chance of a thread regarding delivery of new iPhones and leaving this one for a discussion on the phones merits or flaws.......getting a bit tedious seeing the courier bashing etc
    Def time for a wambulance for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Was reading that a good tip for Face ID is to take the first snapshot face on. Then the second one from a lower angle, as if your looking at the phone from the table.

Must try this when I get the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

qork wrote: »
    What cases are you guys looking at getting for the X?

Im thinking rhinoshield crash guard and screen protector for front and back they look like they can take an absolute beating on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Few early impressions of the X. The size is great, however because it’s all screen it’s still hard to navigate one-handed. The notch really does just disappear after a while. I’ve already stopped noticing it. You’re too focused on the content on the screen to notice.

The screen is amazing, from videos and photos I kept thinking it looked kind of fake. And having it in person, when it’s sitting on a desk with the screen on it does look like it’s a 3D render. It’s hard to explain without seeing it. When using it that feeling seems to fade away.

The lack of home button is no issue for me, and navigating iOS with the ‘home swipe’ is actually a lot quicker and more natural IMO. FaceID has been solid for me all day, and using it with apps is actually better as you don’t need to interact with it in any way. How stable it actually is will probably need a bit more use in direct sunlight etc.

The build quality is solid as usual, speakers seem a little louder and camera is definitely improved over the standard 7 camera. The 60fps video looks weird due to how smooth it is.

Some small negatives, a few apps for me aren’t optimized for the display (no big issue), the keyboard uses a lot of wasted space at the bottom of the screen for some reason. Using the multitask switcher to close apps now requires you to first hold on an app before you can swipe them away which is a pain. It’ll also take time getting used to the new swipe-up to unlock and the swipe down for control center. I’ve also had problems getting the portrait stage effect working consistently but it seems pretty beta still.

Overall I’m really happy with the upgrade, this is the first iPhone since the 4 that I’ve been genuinely excited about. First time queuing for an iPhone too :) For those still waiting for theirs you’ll have a lot to look forward to. It really is a huge step forwards, one that’s a long time coming. It’s definitely worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

DubDJ wrote: »
    Few early impressions of the X. The size is great, however because it’s all screen it’s still hard to navigate one-handed. The notch really does just disappear after a while. I’ve already stopped noticing it. You’re too focused on the content on the screen to notice.

The screen is amazing, from videos and photos I kept thinking it looked kind of fake. And having it in person, when it’s sitting on a desk with the screen on it does look like it’s a 3D render. It’s hard to explain without seeing it. When using it that feeling seems to fade away.

The lack of home button is no issue for me, and navigating iOS with the ‘home swipe’ is actually a lot quicker and more natural IMO. FaceID has been solid for me all day, and using it with apps is actually better as you don’t need to interact with it in any way. How stable it actually is will probably need a bit more use in direct sunlight etc.

The build quality is solid as usual, speakers seem a little louder and camera is definitely improved over the standard 7 camera. The 60fps video looks weird due to how smooth it is.

Some small negatives, a few apps for me aren’t optimized for the display (no big issue), the keyboard uses a lot of wasted space at the bottom of the screen for some reason. Using the multitask switcher to close apps now requires you to first hold on an app before you can swipe them away which is a pain. It’ll also take time getting used to the new swipe-up to unlock and the swipe down for control center. I’ve also had problems getting the portrait stage effect working consistently but it seems pretty beta still.

Overall I’m really happy with the upgrade, this is the first iPhone since the 4 that I’ve been genuinely excited about. First time queuing for an iPhone too :) For those still waiting for theirs you’ll have a lot to look forward to. It really is a huge step forwards, one that’s a long time coming. It’s definitely worth the wait.

Nice review, thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

@DubDJ great review, I’m finally up and running, got the phone at 2pm delivery by DHL but looking after a 2 year old today made it impossible to get to before now. Hardest part was finding a Mac in the house with more than 100GB free to back up my 6+.

I didn’t see the point in upgrading the 6+ prior to this, the 6s and 7 were not big enough jumps. I had bought the 6s for the missus, and got her the 8 at launch, the X is a whole other beast. So much so that the technophobe I married took one look at it and wants to know why she didn’t get one too.

The 6+ was great but at 3 years old beginning to lag, the size of the X is perfect, the screen amazing, it’s now a one handed phone for me, but I have big hands.

Bought 2 cases in anticipation a Griffin Reveal clear case and its perfect doesn’t add any real bulk or take away from the look. The other case is a Spigen liquid clear case and is certainly a little bulkier and may offer a tad more protection but that’s where AppleCare comes in. The fit on both is perfect and they were both about a tenner from Amazon. I skipped the Apple silicone as my previous one was a nightmare to get out of my pockets and my previous leather discolored quite badly.

For anyone waiting you won’t be disappointed when it arrives and for anyone on the fence it’s well worth it, yes it’s expenseive but so far I feel it’s worth it, considering how much it will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

DubDJ wrote: »

I still think the 4 was the best of them all I remember the keynote I just loved that phone.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I still think the 4 was the best of them all I remember the keynote I just loved that phone.
    I’d agree with that, it was just such an iconic phone and when iOS started to really kick off with forward thinking features. The design stayed fresh for years, sure it’s kind of back with the X in a way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

A few of the comments above have reminded me why I am so very glad I don’t work in a customer facing job.

The new phone is great though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I ordered up the Belkin Boost Wireless charger.

What are you guys using or buying to charge?

Also going to take a look at the Cosmos Blue folio. I like the concept, but it might make things bulky?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Is anyone else noticing a slight yellow tinge on screen. Even when True Tone is off?

I wasn’t sure of it earlier but someone else on here mentioned they had it.

When I tilt the screen at an angle the screen looks much whiter?

If this is a faulty phone I’ll be absolutely bulling!

Ian

iancairns wrote: »
    Is anyone else noticing a slight yellow tinge on screen. Even when True Tone is off?

Ian

Are you sure it’s not night shift which does a similar thing to True Tone. Check to see if it’s enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

adox wrote: »
    Anyone tried face ID outdoors? Seemed to be the sort of conditions where it may get troublesome according to a couple of preview videos.

worked grand for me in the dark outdoors and bright earlier too

snowflaker wrote: »
    worked grand for me in the dark outdoors and bright earlier too

Just tried it outside now works fine for me too.

iancairns wrote: »

Ian

It’s night shift. Disable it in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Castlebel

So had the phone for most of the day now and loving it. Some apps which are optimized for it seem a big buggy including flipboard and YouTube which froze the phone. But apart from that most apps working well.
    Apps which are not optimized yet just have big black bars at top and bottom like a 7 and look so old. Annoyingly Spotify is not yet updated. Bank of Ireland app which was already old fashioned with no Touch ID looks positively ancient now lol

Face ID works without fail. I’m usually looking at it wondering why it hasn’t unlocked but it’s actually waiting on me to swipe up.

Inteeestingly the first time Face ID failed was when I took off my glasses in bed. I reset it and set it up without my glasses on and then it works when I put the glasses back on but doesn’t recognize me without glasses!

Tomorrow will be my first day with in in the real world so will be interesting to see what the actual battery life is like.

Definitely need a case on it. I had bought a slim totalee case but I think I’ll probably get a leather Apple case that raises up the screen a bit if it falls face down.

Overall it’s fhe first iPhone since the 6plus which feels like a new iPhone. Definitely worth the upgrade and months of waiting.

Now to start saving for the HomePod!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Castlebel wrote: »
    Face ID works without fail. I’m usually looking at it wondering why it hasn’t unlocked but it’s actually waiting on me to swipe up.

Inteeestingly the first time Face ID failed was when I took off my glasses in bed. I reset it and set it up without my glasses on and then it works when I put the glasses back on but doesn’t recognize me without glasses!

When it fails and you use your code to unlock it it’s learns a little bit so if you take you glasses off and repeatedly try and fail to unlock it and use your passcode each time it should start to work again.

I’ve been very impressed with Face ID too. Very fast. Easy. Flawless operation so far.

I’d echo that some apps look really crap now, the ones that haven’t bothered to optimise for the new screen yet. Reminds me of when the 5 first came out. Loads of apps still had black bars top and bottom for ages.

I do think the “notch” is a bit ugly though tbh. I can definitely see future iterations making it smaller or even somehow doing away with it.

• Advertisement

Castlebel wrote: »
    So had the phone for most of the day now and loving it. Some apps which are optimized for it seem a big buggy including flipboard and YouTube which froze the phone. But apart from that most apps working well.
    Apps which are not optimized yet just have big black bars at top and bottom like a 7 and look so old. Annoyingly Spotify is not yet updated. Bank of Ireland app which was already old fashioned with no Touch ID looks positively ancient now lol

Tomorrow will be my first day with in in the real world so will be interesting to see what the actual battery life is like.

Definitely need a case on it. I had bought a slim totalee case but I think I’ll probably get a leather Apple case that raises up the screen a bit if it falls face down.

Overall it’s fhe first iPhone since the 6plus which feels like a new iPhone. Definitely worth the upgrade and months of waiting.

Now to start saving for the HomePod!

With Face ID I just swipe up I dont think look first as the phone knows when you look so get into the habit of just swiping up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My device landed about 11am.

Took ages to get up and going, WiFi in work was diabolical today.

Love the phone itself, feels like the best built phone from apple yet.

The screen is fantastic, the lack of the home button doesn’t bother me, the gestures feel so much more natural. I’m loving the tweaked iOS 11.1 with the other gestures for control centre and notifications, I really like the ‘privacy’ of the notifications.

Has anyone noticed a slight delay when pressing the side button to lock the device?

The only thing that’s been getting on my wick all day is FaceID, only works 50% of the time if i’m honest, now I was in dodgy lighting when I set it up today, so if it doesn’t improve over the weekend i’ll re do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I find FaceID easier that fingerprint tbf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

snowflaker wrote: »
    I find FaceID easier that fingerprint tbf

Way better setting up logins and I was switching between password and MFA apps constantly. Not having to keep redoing finger print made it fairly seamless.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eeloe wrote: »
    The only thing that’s been getting on my wick all day is FaceID, only works 50% of the time if i’m honest, now I was in dodgy lighting when I set it up today, so if it doesn’t improve over the weekend i’ll re do it!

Dont worry about re-doing it. Its designed to learn. Every time you fail and revert to passcode it says "Oh, that must have been them after all" and adds that imprint to the model. Use it for a week and it should be super snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Reviews seem a bit..meh. Nothing to see here. Have we come to a limit to what a smartphone can do.

My device landed about 11am.

Took ages to get up and going, WiFi in work was diabolical today.

Love the phone itself, feels like the best built phone from apple yet.

The screen is fantastic, the lack of the home button doesn’t bother me, the gestures feel so much more natural. I’m loving the tweaked iOS 11.1 with the other gestures for control centre and notifications, I really like the ‘privacy’ of the notifications.

Has anyone noticed a slight delay when pressing the side button to lock the device?

Try turning off Require Attention for Face ID to see if that helps, I find it flawless so far myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Has anyone else noticed that you can feel "parts" moving within the phone?Similar to how you could feel the hard drive in the iPod Classic move.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that you can feel "parts" moving within the phone?Similar to how you could feel the hard drive in the iPod Classic move.

Funny that the wife said that to me earlier but I haven’t noticed it myself.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’ve noticed that too and don’t understand why it’s there. Maybe it’s due to the double clicks and added functionality to the side button, so they’ve delayed the lock to help with detection. Hope they sort it in an update.

Advertisement