Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

@DubDJ great review, I’m finally up and running, got the phone at 2pm delivery by DHL but looking after a 2 year old today made it impossible to get to before now. Hardest part was finding a Mac in the house with more than 100GB free to back up my 6+.

I didn’t see the point in upgrading the 6+ prior to this, the 6s and 7 were not big enough jumps. I had bought the 6s for the missus, and got her the 8 at launch, the X is a whole other beast. So much so that the technophobe I married took one look at it and wants to know why she didn’t get one too.

The 6+ was great but at 3 years old beginning to lag, the size of the X is perfect, the screen amazing, it’s now a one handed phone for me, but I have big hands.

Bought 2 cases in anticipation a Griffin Reveal clear case and its perfect doesn’t add any real bulk or take away from the look. The other case is a Spigen liquid clear case and is certainly a little bulkier and may offer a tad more protection but that’s where AppleCare comes in. The fit on both is perfect and they were both about a tenner from Amazon. I skipped the Apple silicone as my previous one was a nightmare to get out of my pockets and my previous leather discolored quite badly.

For anyone waiting you won’t be disappointed when it arrives and for anyone on the fence it’s well worth it, yes it’s expenseive but so far I feel it’s worth it, considering how much it will be used.

Just curious as to why do this?

Do you not use iCloud?

Settings and pictures etc backed up easily and apps don't really need backing up as App Store knows what you have.

So when you login on new phone everything on your old phone just downloads.

Very easy. 99ct a month for 50gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve noticed that too and don’t understand why it’s there. Maybe it’s due to the double clicks and added functionality to the side button, so they’ve delayed the lock to help with detection. Hope they sort it in an update.

It's because it's waiting for a second click for Apple pay.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It's because it's waiting for a second click for Apple pay.

Makes sense now actually, just found it strange that it doesn’t lock as fast as other models. Wasn’t a complaint as such!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Hey bit of a weird question. Is there anything stopping someone holding the phone up to your face to unlock it. Say for e.g. Your sleeping on the arm chair it your held captive and simeone wants to hack your phone lol lmfao.

I frighten myself sometimes with what goes through me head lol

Note- I'm just thinking of a really nosey and crazy ex I had once that I can just imagine holding the phone up to my face as I had my Sunday snooze to check was I tindering lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

adam88 wrote: »
    Hey bit of a weird question. Is there anything stopping someone holding the phone up to your face to unlock it. Say for e.g. Your sleeping on the arm chair it your held captive and simeone wants to hack your phone lol lmfao.

Note- I'm just thinking of a really nosey and crazy ex I had once that I can just imagine holding the phone up to my face as I had my Sunday snooze to check was I tindering lol

You have to have your eyes open as far as I know!
    Anyway, on the old phone, what’s to stop her from grabbing your hand while you snooze and using your thumbprint.... or cutting your arm off lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

adam88 wrote: »

Yes Apple placed another security layer for this but you can disable it.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

snowflaker wrote: »

Your photo has confirmed my query with that case. It’s covering part of the screen on the left hand side, and makes the notch look irrelevant by comparison! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Durability test of the phone. High standards for sure but concerns about the glass on the rear of the phone. In short, Dont drop it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

faceman wrote: »
    Your photo has confirmed my query with that case. It’s covering part of the screen on the left hand side, and makes the notch look irrelevant by comparison! :o

That’s the cover though. It’s a wallet type phone. That opens. You can answer the phone without opening though - which is nice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Durability test of the phone. High standards for sure but concerns about the glass on the rear of the phone. In short, Dont drop it!

This one is interesting, glass doesn't break front or back but Face ID stops working which is something I worried about when I read it had glass lenses and was fragile to manufacturer. I think Face Id should reduce the number of drops as I would try and take the phone out and hold it by the bottom and button to get the unlock where as now I grip higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Anyone else having issues with wireless charging? Mine never gets above 80% using a Samsung qi charger even without a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

At half the value of the phone for a rear glass replacement is a phone that I wouldn't leave the house with. Absolutely shocking prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Ro-76 wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with wireless charging? Mine never gets above 80% using a Samsung qi charger even without a case.
    I charged mine overnight with the IKEA charger and it was fine going from below 5% to 100% so it’s probably the charger you’re using.

The ikea one is only 5w so that has less power than a lot of them.

On a related note, 5w charging is really slow. 3 hours charging and it still hasn’t reached 100%. Even at 7.5w it’s not going to be ideal for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

listermint wrote: »
    At half the value of the phone for a rear glass replacement is a phone that I wouldn't leave the house with. Absolutely shocking prices

If you look at the ifixit tear down, unlike the iPhone 4. Everything lives on that back glass. Including the Face ID system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Am seriously considering AppleCare for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just curious as to why do this?

Do you not use iCloud?

Settings and pictures etc backed up easily and apps don't really need backing up as App Store knows what you have.

So when you login on new phone everything on your old phone just downloads.

Very easy. 99ct a month for 50gb.

iCloud is great but I need a level of separation between my devices. I can’t have everything streaming to the cloud. I run 2 iPhones and while I want them to share the same ID I don’t want the content to mix. I’ve just fired up a new Mac mini this morning to act as the new media hub and iTunes backup for the house, it’s in a convenient location to plug the phone in once a week to back up, so that will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

snowflaker wrote: »
    That’s the cover though. It’s a wallet type phone. That opens. You can answer the phone without opening though - which is nice

Would be great if you posted a bit more about the case: looks quite interesting but wondering how easy it is to use day to day. Does the screen cover flip behind the phone and attaches itself with the magnet? Does thi also mean you dont need a protective glass? Can you swipe to answer calls easily? Couldn't find answers anywhere (nor proper reviews)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’m surprised there are no more bumps in order dates…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

og2k7 wrote: »
    Would be great if you posted a bit more about the case: looks quite interesting but wondering how easy it is to use day to day. Does the screen cover flip behind the phone and attaches itself with the magnet? Does thi also mean you dont need a protective glass? Can you swipe to answer calls easily? Couldn't find answers anywhere (nor proper reviews)

Cheers

You can’t swipe though the cover. Yes you can flip the cover back and it attaches itself to the magnet. You may not need protective glass, I still got it.

So far I like it. Wish there was a card holder on it though

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    This one is interesting, glass doesn't break front or back but Face ID stops working which is something I worried about when I read it had glass lenses and was fragile to manufacturer. I think Face Id should reduce the number of drops as I would try and take the phone out and hold it by the bottom and button to get the unlock where as now I grip higher.

This is interesting. It might be more durable than thought after all

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I just ordered a USB-C to Lightning cable and a 29watt power brick.

Wanted to use the fast charging and also grabbed a Belkin Boost wireless charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks sturdy the metal band seems to help, from experience though you can just be unlucky, I’ve had small drops destroy the screen and monster falls no effect, still with an otterbox or uag case you’ve nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Need to get a case all this is making me nervous Has anyone seen the the otterbox strada in stores? only came across a brown one in compub looking for a black one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    I charged mine overnight with the IKEA charger and it was fine going from below 5% to 100% so it’s probably the charger you’re using.

The ikea one is only 5w so that has less power than a lot of them.

On a related note, 5w charging is really slow. 3 hours charging and it still hasn’t reached 100%. Even at 7.5w it’s not going to be ideal for everybody.

To be fair I think the wireless charging will be for convenience for charging while you set the device down for a while - speeds won’t be too important. Especially in your case when it’s beside the bed when slow charging overnight is irrelevant I guess.

Having a couple of fast charging points around the house for needing a quick top up will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

No wonder AppleCare became so expensive though , with all the claims as a result of drop tests on YouTube......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Eir is doing it for 650 and 55 a month and claiming they'll ship in 2 days. Good or bad deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

As someone who hates cases, this video is music to my hears. Quite impressed by the scratch resistance of the dark grey coating of the steel band.

fox007 wrote: »
    Need to get a case all this is making me nervous Has anyone seen the the otterbox strada in stores? only came across a brown one in compub looking for a black one

I got my otterbox symmetry from the otterbox site and it was delivered in 2 days

• Advertisement

I have the 87w USB-C adapter and lightening cable, plugged phone in at 60% yesterday and it was at 100 after ~45mins. Ill run it flat today and fast charge it then to see what the performance is like when battery is low.

Advertisement