Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Rew wrote: »
    I have the 87w USB-C adapter and lightening cable, plugged phone in at 60% yesterday and it was at 100 after ~45mins. Ill run it flat today and fast charge it then to see what the performance is like when battery is low.

A graph of what to potentially expect here with the various power adapters available. Non scientific test and it’s using an 8 Plus battery which is slightly smaller than what’s in the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Eir is doing it for 650 and 55 a month and claiming they'll ship in 2 days. Good or bad deal?

It’s decent the only thing is the data allowance on that plan is only 15GB. Total cost over the 2 years is €1970 I bought 256 and with Eir on Sim only 30gb a month total cost over the 2 years is €100 more than what you will pay.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I moved from Eir (formerly a meteor plan) €20 sim free bill pay to €15 ID mobile prepay - 300 min, 15GB DATA and keep €15!

I’ll update on issues etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fox007 wrote: »
    Need to get a case all this is making me nervous Has anyone seen the the otterbox strada in stores? only came across a brown one in compub looking for a black one

Used to have one, it’s very good case but the open face commuter will do the job just as good unless your going to really blaggard it. 3 stock both in their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Face ID works with sunglasses anyway😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

FourFourFM wrote: »
    A graph of what to potentially expect here with the various power adapters available. Non scientific test and it’s using an 8 Plus battery which is slightly smaller than what’s in the X.

I’ve read that fast charging is only supported with USB type C, which might explain why all the fast chargers there were similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’m surprised there are no more bumps in order dates…

I'm hoping we see some changes after the weekend. I still have a delivery estimate of 13 - 20 November. I placed my order at 8.20am on the 27th October.

They could be waiting to see how many people cancel their orders over the weekend after making a purchase in a brick and mortar store before updating the delivery estimates.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Just curious as to why do this?

Do you not use iCloud?

Settings and pictures etc backed up easily and apps don't really need backing up as App Store knows what you have.

So when you login on new phone everything on your old phone just downloads.

Very easy. 99ct a month for 50gb.

I use my phone for work and the security settings they have installed means I cannot use i-Cloud at all. It's absolutely ridiculous and means I have to manually backup using a desktop. It's a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I cancelled my order but it was 13-20, so maybe no help, I'd go with Vodafone, for the price difference it doesn't matter now I receive it on the 20 or 28-30 with Vodafone (hopefully) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have two Samsung wireless chargers, one for a S6edge and one for S8, from what I read, at least one of these should work, fingers crossed.
    Courier has 11 minutes left in his delivery window to be considered "ontime".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Dropped in to Three to see if one was on display it’s a fantastic looking phone. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and used my upgrade on the 8. Offer half is complaining that her 6s is lagging so was thinking buying the 10 outright and giving her my 8, selfless act on my part

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    I’ve read that fast charging is only supported with USB type C, which might explain why all the fast chargers there were similar.

They were Apple’s USB C adapters using a USB C to lighting cable. I presume a lot of it will come down to what’s the max input the X can actually take which night make the difference between the 29W and 61W negligible and the iPhone trickle charges from 80-100% so the best results will be seen from 0-80% using fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

They were Apple’s USB C adapters using a USB C to lighting cable. I presume a lot of it will come down to what’s the max input the X can actually take which night make the difference between the 29W and 61W negligible and the iPhone trickle charges from 80-100% so the best results will be seen from 0-80% using fast charge.

I’m just surprise they are so close to the 10/12W chargers ie. an iPad charger. Do you have a source for the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Late to the party here and looks like it’d be a few weeks before I could get hold of a 256GB unit here. Going to be in the US from tomorrow week for 10 days, would it be likely to get hold of one over there and are there any compatibility or warranty issues using it in Europe if I do buy there?

How is keyboard size vs the iPhone 7? I fat finger a lot on the 7 but never had issues on the 6 Plus I had so am hoping the X is closer in keyboard size to the 6 Plus.

Late to the party here and looks like it’d be a few weeks before I could get hold of a 256GB unit here. Going to be in the US from tomorrow week for 10 days, would it be likely to get hold of one over there and are there any compatibility or warranty issues using it in Europe if I do buy there?

How is keyboard size vs the iPhone 7? I fat finger a lot on the 7 but never had issues on the 6 Plus I had so am hoping the X is closer in keyboard size to the 6 Plus.

You’ll still have a one year warranty with Apple but might need to take to an Apple Store if you ever need service as they won’t offer mail in repair. No consumer law which is 6 years for purchases in Ireland.

As the display isn’t as wide as the Plus the keyboard is noticeably smaller for me coming from 7+. I’m getting used to it though. One the plus side, pardon the pun, the keyboard is way better for one handed typing in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm still in the "waiting until 15-22nd for shipping" camp, but I got the Apple leather case delivered and was now thinking of getting a screen protector, (I'm not making the same mistake of believing Apple with their "ION" strength glass, my 6s screen has mini scratches all over it) - has anyone seen any in the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Lidl has wireless chargers for 29.99 if someone's interested. Up to 12W from what i have seen on the label

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

og2k7 wrote: »
    Lidl has wireless chargers for 29.99 if someone's interested. Up to 12W from what i have seen on the label

What date did they go on sale do you know wondering if they have any in dub 15

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What date did they go on sale do you know wondering if they have any in dub 15

I just googled that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I'm hoping we see some changes after the weekend. I still have a delivery estimate of 13 - 20 November. I placed my order at 8.20am on the 27th October.

They could be waiting to see how many people cancel their orders over the weekend after making a purchase in a brick and mortar store before updating the delivery estimates.

I use my phone for work and the security settings they have installed means I cannot use i-Cloud at all. It's absolutely ridiculous and means I have to manually backup using a desktop. It's a real pain.

I ordered at 08:13 and I have the same delivery timeline as you do. I think it will arrive on the 13th, not optimistic about getting it before that though. It's a shame that people who didn't pre-order were able to go into various stores and secure a device, whereas those who went online and ordered directly from Apple were faced with delays of 5-6 weeks within a few hours of pre-orders going live. Doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

murpho999 wrote: »

Maybe my google is broken I couldn’t find a date, also checked the app to no avail, I’m not so lazy as to have not googled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

Just rang Liffey valley Iconnect guy was very nice he said they get a deliver mon - fri everyday best time to check with them is after 1pm when they have gone through the order but he expects them to be getting more x's this coming week and the next. My delivery date isn't till 28th - 5th November not sure i can wait that long

og2k7 wrote: »

iPhone X is only going to support 7.5W from what I understand so I’d probably opt for a cheaper one on Amazon or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

iPhone X is only going to support 7.5W from what I understand so I’d probably opt for a cheaper one on Amazon or wherever.

I think they're going to unlock higher ones in a future update

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

The 64GB is $999 in the US a friend of mine is going over to New York next week and said he would get one for me there if i wanted but is that the pre tax price and if so what would be the purchase price after tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

machu wrote: »
    The 64GB is $999 in the US a friend of mine is going over to New York next week and said he would get one for me there if i wanted but is that the pre tax price and if so what would be the purchase price after tax ?

About an extra $90 in New York.

So total would be about €950.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

machu wrote: »

Maybe it is different in the shops but on Apple's website they don't seem to offer it without a contract yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think they're going to unlock higher ones in a future update
    7.5w is the actual higher one, it only supports 5w at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Just back from returning that IKEA wireless charger I read about on here.....
    its not great... and doesnt charge the apple watch series 3 either.... had to bring it back thought it was terrible...
    gone wait for the airpower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Something i didn't know, iPhone 6 upwards is capable of fast charging! Even the 10w ipad charger is quite impressive on the X.

The normal charger that comes in the box charges the phone to 20% after 30 mins. The ipad 10w does it near 40%! I think i'll be happy enough with the auld ipad charger.

Advertisement