Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Bob24 wrote: »
    Maybe it is different in the shops but on Apple's website they don't seem to offer it without a contract yet.

It can take a few months for unlocked network free phones to be available for purchase. My cousin from the US actually bought the 6S here on launch so that he could network hop in the states he had separate call and data packages on different networks

murpho999 wrote: »

Found it on their website, but of a disconnect between the app and site, it looks a little large for my liking. The mophie or belkin options look better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Just back from returning that IKEA wireless charger I read about on here.....
    its not great... and doesnt charge the apple watch series 3 either.... had to bring it back thought it was terrible...
    gone wait for the airpower

Seeing it reported today that it could cost $200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I ordered at 08:13 and I have the same delivery timeline as you do. I think it will arrive on the 13th, not optimistic about getting it before that though. It's a shame that people who didn't pre-order were able to go into various stores and secure a device, whereas those who went online and ordered directly from Apple were faced with delays of 5-6 weeks within a few hours of pre-orders going live. Doesn't make sense.

Because a pre order is just that. Going into the shop is an immediate purchase. You can do both and I bet most people who bought on nov 3rd had pre-ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

My amazon one is great so far

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Just back from returning that IKEA wireless charger I read about on here.....
    its not great... and doesnt charge the apple watch series 3 either.... had to bring it back thought it was terrible...
    gone wait for the airpower

The watch uses a non standard subset of the QI standard, hence Apple can charge €30 for a spare cable, has put me off buying a second one for work, ‘‘tis a tad expensive for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m really enjoying the phone now that I’ve had it long enough to actually get used to having it. One thing I’m delighted with is the improved battery. With the usage I’ve run through today my 7 would of probably dropped to under 30% by now but i’m happy to see the X still has 56% left. It’s about right on the extra two hours Apple mentioned.

The extra screen space is one of the better parts of finally having a larger screen phone as well. One thing I miss is having the battery percentage always on screen. I’ll probably get used to checking in the control center but it’s definitely something I wish was still there.

As well as that, swiping apps away in the multitask switcher requiring a long hold first which is annoying and I don’t understand the reason for it.

The Animoji karaoke are a laugh as well, have a look on Twitter if you haven’t seen any yet.

Wondering if anybody else noticed this or if it’s iust in my head but audio over Bluetooth seemed to sound better to me. I know it’s 5.0 but I don’t think it actually offers better quality especially not to 4.1 devices. Both my earphones and speaker sounded better today, maybe it was just coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Eir is doing it for 650 and 55 a month and claiming they'll ship in 2 days. Good or bad deal?

I signed up on the 27th but have yet to receive any phone. Not even an email regarding order or estimated delivery date so would be weary of that part of the claim.
    Marty Bird wrote: »
    It’s decent the only thing is the data allowance on that plan is only 15GB. Total cost over the 2 years is €1970 I bought 256 and with Eir on Sim only 30gb a month total cost over the 2 years is €100 more than what you will pay.

I thank 15Gb is huge amount of data for a phone. Especially when YouTube, social media, messaging and eir sports data is not deducted from the allowance.

€1539 the cost of my phone and €15 month plan for 2 years. That being said, likely to update next year and sell this phone.
    My Eir equivalent was €1979 but no upgrade after 1 year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

snowflaker wrote: »
    €1539 the cost of my phone and €15 month plan for 2 years. That being said, likely to update next year and sell this phone.
    My Eir equivalent was €1979 but no upgrade after 1 year

I went with eir as got a huge discount (affinity program with work group scheme). Have ordered the 256 space grey. Had to pay €800 up front on a €40 plan for 18 months with the same benefits as there €55 plan. Totalling €1520. Should also get approx €650 - €700 back for sellin my 7plus 256 so happy with that, once I get the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

You can't buy the phone outright from eir, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Don’t think they do it on prepay so no.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Don’t think they do it on prepay so no.

Shame.

Shame.

3 do it on prepay €1299 for the 256GB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'd need your head examined to buy on pre-paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Why? I don't mean that to be sarky, just that it seems better value over time since you pay less overall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s usually only a €20 discount to buy it straight out on a PAYG from the networks so better to buy direct from Apple and get a factory unlocked version straight away.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why? I don't mean that to be sarky, just that it seems better value over time since you pay less overall.

Either buy it on contract or buy from a non-telco vendor (i.e. Apple, Amazon, Komplett etc).

Bazsutto wrote: »
    I went with eir as got a huge discount (affinity program with work group scheme). Have ordered the 256 space grey. Had to pay €800 up front on a €40 plan for 18 months with the same benefits as there €55 plan. Totalling €1520. Should also get approx €650 - €700 back for sellin my 7plus 256 so happy with that, once I get the thing.

mine would be €1449 after 18 months.

Eir offered me that deal to stay. I declined (largely because I could only order from yesterday, otherwise I prob would have)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I bought my 8 Plus on prepaid. Slightly cheaper than buying from Apple, and more importantly it allowed me to continue with my carrier insurance, which is only slightly more expensive than Applecare and also covers loss and theft. If I'd bought on full contract, I would have had to go for a more expensive package than my preexisting SIM only contract— double my current monthly payment to get the same benefits (admittedly including some extras which I neither need nor want). In the end, I end up paying about three hundred less, and get to keep the insurance I'm happy with.

It's not always a bad option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

awec wrote: »
    Either buy it on contract or buy from a non-telco vendor (i.e. Apple, Amazon, Komplett etc).

Oh ok, makes more sense.

I can't confirm whether eir would want some massive deposit (Vodafone wanted 700 euro in advance credit) so I'll wait till I can get more information.

Why ?

kceire wrote: »
    There’s usually only a €20 discount to buy it straight out on a PAYG from the networks so better to buy direct from Apple and get a factory unlocked version straight away.

256 with 3 is €1299 and your can get the sim only plan with for €30 pm what I’m paying with Eir now with buying direct I would have saved €50 by going this route. You can unlock the phone once you have spent €160 in bills with 3.

I'm on eir already. Wouldn't buy it from three. If having it locked to the network I use for 6 months got me it a few weeks earlier it'd be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I'm with three and did the calculations. Using today's exchange rates it's only 90 euro dear EE over 24 months to get the 64bg X on the 60e plan (first 6 months half price btw) vs buying it in the states and staying on their 30e sim only plan.

That 90 euro saving isn't enough for me to wait two months till I'm back in the states to buy it. I'll put up with the 90 to get it this month

Plus a phone call to three every few months complaining will nearly always guarantee you a free months line rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

adam88 wrote: »
    I'm with three and did the calculations. Using today's exchange rates it's only 90 euro dear EE over 24 months to get the 64bg X on the 60e plan (first 6 months half price btw) vs buying it in the states and staying on their 30e sim only plan.

That 90 euro saving isn't enough for me to wait two months till I'm back in the states to buy it. I'll put up with the 90 to get it this month

Plus a phone call to three every few months complaining will nearly always guarantee you a free months line rental

My sister is in the States now but is coming home in two weeks time. If she brought back one of these, could it be used here?

Was the app switcher via 3D Touch on the side not re-enabled in iOS 11.1 ?

Was the app switcher via 3D Touch on the side not re-enabled in iOS 11.1 ?

Not on iPhone X. There's the swipe across the home button now for the X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I think they're going to unlock higher ones in a future update

7.5W is the higher one they are going to unlock. It’s 5W for now.

Advertisement