Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Out for a walk with the kids earlier. Had hat, sunglasses and a baby strapped to my chest (who’s face was just below my chin) but Face ID still worked flawlessly. Have to say it really lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Rew wrote: »
    Out for a walk with the kids earlier. Had hat, sunglasses and a baby strapped to my chest (who’s face was just below my chin) but Face ID still worked flawlessly. Have to say it really lives up to the hype.

Apple really nailed it, it just works.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Big question - AppleCare or not?

These repair prices are scary........

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/iphone/repair/service/pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

AidenL wrote: »

100% - we had it since 5s and it just gives that extra piece of mind. And previous phones were never that expensive

You have 60 days after the day of purchase to get it

og2k7 wrote: »
    100% - we had it since 5s and it just gives that extra piece of mind. And previous phones were never that expensive

Ive never bought it, but very tempted this time alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Looks like Face ID might be a bit too forgiving when telling siblings appart: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/04/face-id-brothers-video/

Assuming these videos are not fake, it is having issue to differentiate people who don’t look *that* identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bob24 wrote: »
    Looks like Face ID might be a bit too forgiving when telling siblings appart: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/04/face-id-brothers-video/

Assuming these videos are not fake, it is having issue to differentiate people who don’t look *that* identical.

its a learning system though. Siblings tend to share similar bone structures so its to be expected. Also the phone is supposed to know faces who had aged, grown beards, scars, wear glasses etc so there's a security risk in that it allows close enough matches to allow siblings etc to use their brother's sisters phones.
    I'd love to see their competitors though..apparently Apple are 2 years ahead of other companies so I can imagine for Samsung if I threw a pair of glasses on my dog he's unlock my S8 for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Littlewoods.ie claim to have all models in stock. Would be a good option for someone looking to buy outright. Free delivery.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/electricals/iphone/iphone-x/e/b/121556,126436.end

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bazsutto wrote: »
    Littlewoods.ie claim to have all models in stock. Would be a good option for someone looking to buy outright. Free delivery.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/electricals/iphone/iphone-x/e/b/121556,126436.end

Per Orders none in stock looking at that. All for delivery by 18th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Everyone has it in stock. Yet those who preordered 5 minutes and above past 8am still wait…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Per Orders none in stock looking at that. All for delivery by 18th of December.

See that now when you click on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Question, when charging the phone with a wireless charger does anybody get the new charging sound? I remember it was found in iOS 11 and Apple showed it off at the keynote. Maybe it’s only certain chargers that activate it?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Question, when charging the phone with a wireless charger does anybody get the new charging sound? I remember it was found in iOS 11 and Apple showed it off at the keynote. Maybe it’s only certain chargers that activate it?

No not with mine.

Is there supposed to be a new charging sound in iOS 11?

I’m only using a 12w iPad charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Blazer wrote: »
    its a learning system though. Siblings tend to share similar bone structures so its to be expected. Also the phone is supposed to know faces who had aged, grown beards, scars, wear glasses etc so there's a security risk in that it allows close enough matches to allow siblings etc to use their brother's sisters phones.
    I'd love to see their competitors though..apparently Apple are 2 years ahead of other companies so I can imagine for Samsung if I threw a pair of glasses on my dog he's unlock my S8 for me :D

Yeah for sure competing systems are a total joke compared to Face ID and most of them will be fooled by a picture or someone who looks vaguely similar.

But still given that Apple calls Face ID less prone to false positives than Touch ID these videos are a bit surprising.

As you say hopefully accuracy improves over time.

Mr.S wrote: »
    You could get decent phone insurance for less then that, which would cover theft too. I get that AppleCare is hassle free though.

I am thinking of standard insurance, but who would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

mad muffin wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be a new charging sound in iOS 11?
    Yeah as far as I’m aware, unless they removed it later on in the iOS betas.

Here’s the one to be exact.

Mustn’t have made it to final release?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

You could get decent phone insurance for less then that, which would cover theft too. I get that AppleCare is hassle free though.

Except you can’t. I haven’t found anyone to insure a 256GB iPhone X. Blue insurance will cover a 64GB, but their insurance tips out at €1200.

• Advertisement

Zurich will cover you up to €1500, if they don't accept the iPhone X 256gb online, it's just because they haven't updated, will be fine in a few days / weeks.

Apple Car is still the far easier option though, just a bit of a rip off and doesn't include theft.

I don’t see phone insurance on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Donal55 wrote: »
    My sister is in the States now but is coming home in two weeks time. If she brought back one of these, could it be used here?

You need to ask the agent in the store for the version that can be used in Ireland. That's what I was told when I enquirer about my 6. Something to do with sims or gsms or some lark like that

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

og2k7 wrote: »

'The 60days till after you purchase to get it' 
    Is this only applicable to phones bought via Apple.com or does it apply to carrier contracts etc.
    Do I just set a reminder in my phone to insure it in 59days or am I best to log on now and do it?
    Crazy prices but I'm resigned to get it.
    I bought the 256gb version also so not sure what to do re insurance.
    I've never lost a phone (touches wood) and haven't had insurance for last 3 years with my dying iphone 6, also my days of messy nights out are loooongg gone as well.
    To Insure, or not to insure, that is my question. :|

iancairns wrote: »
    Is this only applicable to phones bought via Apple.com or does it apply to carrier contracts etc.
    Do I just set a reminder in my phone to insure it in 59days or am I best to log on now and do it?
    I've never lost a phone (touches wood) and haven't had insurance for last 3 years with my dying iphone 6, also my days of messy nights out are loooongg gone as well.

www.mobilephoneinsurancedirect.ie

€12.99 PM or €142 annually for the 256.

Marty Bird wrote: »

That might be more sensible than AppleCare and roughly same price for 2 years, with Loss and Theft cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

iancairns wrote: »

It doesn't have to be bought direct from Apple. 60 days from the date Apple gets notification of activation or from the Till point.

Marty Bird wrote: »

Finally! Getting worried that they are uninsurable. Found Zurich and they don’t list the X.

stimpson wrote: »
    Finally! Getting worried that they are uninsurable. Found Zurich and they don’t list the X.
    I’ll probably take out that cover myself too.

I’ll probably take out that cover myself too.

Just signed up. They seem legit. 142 for annual cover including loss and theft is good value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

adam88 wrote: »
    You need to ask the agent in the store for the version that can be used in Ireland. That's what I was told when I enquirer about my 6. Something to do with sims or gsms or some lark like that
    Thats great, thanks.

Advertisement