Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah be careful with these mobile phone insurance firms....the one linked on the last page doesn't cover theft or loss outside the home. Also won't cover cosmetic damage that doesn't affect the operation of the phone...i.e. that big scratch or dent you got from it falling. Just take good care of your phone and save yourself the extra €.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’m wary of these insurance policies too tbh. Akin to travel insurance.

Has anyone had direct experience of damaging a phone and making a successful claim? I’d imagine it’s a total ball ache.

Touch wood I’ve never lost a phone. Never stolen. Only Broke one screen in 10 years (iphone4). Law of averages would say I’m safe enough. Touch wood!!

I always feel the odds are heavily stacked in the insurance company’s favour.

The AppleCare is ludicrously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Elessar wrote: »
    Yeah be careful with these mobile phone insurance firms....the one linked on the last page doesn't cover theft or loss outside the home. Also won't cover cosmetic damage that doesn't affect the operation of the phone...i.e. that big scratch or dent you got from it falling. Just take good care of your phone and save yourself the extra €.

The policy document says:
    theft or loss of the device left unattended when it is away from your home

which is pretty standard for insurance. Id be suprised if any policy will cover you for leaving your stuff unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Insurance should only be bought for that which you can not afford to replace e.g House or Car. Otherwise you're far better off creating your own contingency savings. You could insure your phone for €150 per year, but what happens if your car breaks or your boiler or your leg? That €150 spent of phone insurance is now useless to you. If you put that money along with money spent on insurance for other small items into savings after a couple of years you will have more than enough money to cover the cost of replacing any small breakages. This assumes you're not a total klutz who breaks a new phone more than once every 5 years and that you have the discipline to not spend it frivolously.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Its all about peace of mind and aversion to risk.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    Insurance should only be bought for that which you can not afford to replace e.g House or Car. Otherwise you're far better off creating your own contingency savings. You could insure your phone for €150 per year, but what happens if your car breaks or your boiler or your leg? That €150 spent of phone insurance is now useless to you. If you put that money along with money spent on insurance for other small items into savings after a couple of years you will have more than enough money to cover the cost of replacing any small breakages. This assumes you're not a total klutz who breaks a new phone more than once every 5 years and that you have the discipline to not spend it frivolously.

If you break one iPhone X in 8 years then you are ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I agree. And even with car insurance you’re always reluctant to actually make a claim unless it’s really into the thousands. Otherwise you lose your NCB. I just hate paying for it...

Now of course the X is probably the first phone that has me thinking about it. It’s at a point where maybe insurance is worth thinking about. I’m just not convinced all of these 10 euro per month operators will actually pay out easily in the event of a claim.

As a friend said to me during the week - “I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with a phone in my pocket that doubles the value of my car every time I sit into it”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I stuck mine as all risks specified on my home insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

adam88 wrote: »
    You need to ask the agent in the store for the version that can be used in Ireland. That's what I was told when I enquirer about my 6. Something to do with sims or gsms or some lark like that

That sounds vague. Are there really different versions with different cellular compatibility? Hadnt heard there were so would be good to confirm.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That sounds vague. Are there really different versions with different cellular compatibility? Hadnt heard there were so would be good to confirm.

Some US networks (Verizon and Sprint) use CDMA whereas the others use GSM.

Mobile networks in Europe are GSM, if you buy a CDMA phone it won't work here. But I think recent iPhones support both standards.

I think there are also differences in terms of LTE though. Some US iPhones might not get LTE here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

AidenL wrote: »
    That might be more sensible than AppleCare and roughly same price for 2 years, with Loss and Theft cover.

Yeah it’s great but if beware if you break your phone screen the replacement might not be as good quality as screen with Apple.

I broke my iPhone 6 screen slipping out of hoodie pocket onto a tile leaning over to dryer the week phone released. No where had the proper glass and what I got replaced was ****e and popped out past seems.

snowflaker wrote: »
    I stuck mine as all risks specified on my home insurance

The problem with that is your home insurance could double in the event of a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

stimpson wrote: »
    The problem with that is your home insurance could double in the event of a claim.

It would hardly double and it’s €6 a year extra.

5 years all good so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I’ve had to make a claim on home insurance in the past - it would be unusual for it to double in cost following a claim.

It’s not like the motor insurance market (loss of no claims discount and an assumption that you’re a careless driver).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think the versions that are used on ATAT in the USA are more or less the same units

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

adam88 wrote: »
    You need to ask the agent in the store for the version that can be used in Ireland. That's what I was told when I enquirer about my 6. Something to do with sims or gsms or some lark like that

You want to get model A1901 which is the one sold on AT&T and T-Mobile (and will presumably be the one sold sim-free when they start doing sim fee in the US).

It’s exactly the same which is being sold in Europe: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I’ve had to make a claim on home insurance in the past - it would be unusual for it to double in cost following a claim.

It’s not like the motor insurance market (loss of no claims discount and an assumption that you’re a careless driver).

Did your premium not increase though? I had a claim for storm damage and I found I was stuck with the same insurance company for 5 years till the claim disappeared off my history.

They were able to increase my premium at will, as I was uninsurable elsewhere.

iancairns wrote: »
    Yeah it’s great but if beware if you break your phone screen the replacement might not be as good quality as screen with Apple.

I broke my iPhone 6 screen slipping out of hoodie pocket onto a tile leaning over to dryer the week phone released. No where had the proper glass and what I got replaced was ****e and popped out past seems.

Dammit, maybe back to AppleCare then.

Or self insure. But the repair costs are phenomenal. But then a case should prevent the worst damage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

If you break it once once in 8 yrs
    Some people are clumsy
    I’ve a daughter who would smash a diamond

Insure according to risk

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Played with one today in 3 shop: doesn't stand out too much when compared to bigger phones displayed (galaxy s8 i think etc). Tried the gestures (from memory) and they worked quite well (saying this is after 2 mins of messing about).

The gestures seem quite well thought out as they felt natural

• Advertisement

soundsham wrote: »
    If you break it once once in 8 yrs
    Some people are clumsy
    I’ve a daughter who would smash a diamond

Insure according to risk

I’ve dropped my phone on occasion, but I’ve never actually broke one. This phone has glass front and back. The risk of breaking this one is far higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Does anyone know if Apple’s own leather case offer much screen protection by way of a raised bezel?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Castlebel

faceman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Apple’s own leather case offer much screen protection by way of a raised bezel?

Yes there’s a raised edge around the screen. Planning on getting one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

faceman wrote: »

No they don’t.
    I’ve used them on every iPhone since 6+,6s+ and both times the glass has shattered. The impact of the edge of the case hitting the glass is still enough to shatter or crack it through shock damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

All quiet in the movement front? I was hoping to start seeing more orders shipped or preparing to ship. Hopefully very soon lol. I already have the inductive charger and case ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

They might start tomorrow/Tuesday....hoping mine changes to preparing for dispatch!!

I'm hoping mine might come tomorrow, if UPS get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Blazer wrote: »
    No they don’t.
    I’ve used them on every iPhone since 6+,6s+ and both times the glass has shattered. The impact of the edge of the case hitting the glass is still enough to shatter or crack it through shock damage.

I’ve used the official Apple case since the 6 and I’d agree up to now there was no protection on the front, but using the X since yesterday with the official leather case the case is raised more at the edges and feels like it will protect more on impact it’s not something that I would be testing all the same.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anyone else experiencing incredible battery life?

I dunno did I just jinx myself by saying that! Haha.

After 48 hours, i’m 99% in love....this is what it should have been all along, perfect size.

The reason i’m leaving out the 1% is, faceID, while it works most of the time, sometimes it’s awkward for me. Hopefully it will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I’ve dropped my phone on occasion, but I’ve never actually broke one. This phone has glass front and back. The risk of breaking this one is far higher.

I have completely destroyed 2 and partially ruined a 3rd which isn't bad in 8/9 years. Forked out 300 quid each to Apple for the destroyed ones to be "repaired" (they replaced them coz they were totally ****ed)

Advertisement