Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yes but the point here is that Apple don’t set the Irish VAT rate but people who spout that it’s so much cheaper in the States blame Apple for price gouging every single time Apple release a product. Where it’s shown multiple times (excluding taxes) that Apple do a fair (accounting for currency fluctuations) price conversion.

Also remember if you were doing it by the letter of the law, buying from the states and bringing it back to Ireland you’d have to pay the VAT anyways.

Ah ok I get what you saying.

But I think with the X they’re just gouging everyone! :D

Apple are really thieves, no way they need to sell this phone at such a cost, they're worth nearly a disgusting Trillion USD, but that's not enough ? so sad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Apple are really thieves, no way they need to sell this phone at such a cost, they're worth nearly a disgusting Trillion USD, but that's not enough ? so sad !

Dam it. I wish I had freedom of choice of which phone I want to buy and Apple weren't holding me to ransom to thieve money out of my hands.

Ugh...I wish.

Seriously though is there any need to charge so much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Seriously though is there any need to charge so much ?
    To limit demand, and maintain profit margin while having to pay more for component parts.

• Advertisement

Yeah but 1300 odd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Yeah but 1300 odd ?

Apple are breaking new ground with this release never has a phone been so expensive, but as others have said consumers don't have to buy it. I think it will be a massive hit with consumers and Apple has so many loyal customers. I've had every iPhone since release and at first I said no I'm not paying that..but I will buy it as I want the new form factor.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I'm considering it and also a new Macbook Pro, but I'm waiting for the 8th Gen Intel CPU's and also wondering which I will buy but Knowing Apple they will coax me into buying both !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I decided to skip the X. I think it will be better in a couple of years when they have beter tech to have a full screen without a notch.

I think that notch is a disaster, that makes the screen actually smaller than people realise, especially in landscape mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

murpho999 wrote: »
    I decided to skip the X. I think it will be better in a couple of years when they have beter tech to have a full screen without a notch.

I think that notch is a disaster, that makes the screen actually smaller than people realise, especially in landscape mode.

Will there not always be a notch of some description? Its hard to see how they could place the front facing camera underneath the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Redo91 wrote: »
    Will there not always be a notch of some description? Its hard to see how they could place the front facing camera underneath the screen.

For sure one day it will be possible either to have a camera so small that it fits in a very thin bezel (if you look at the iPhone X it is not really bezel-free), or to embed light sensing pixels in the middle of light emitting pixels so that the display and the camera are a single part.

But the question we probably can't answer is exactly how long it will take (but I think we're talking a few years at most, not decades or anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Redo91 wrote: »

I'm sure there will be a new tech.

Thing is, I'd rather have a small bezel than a notch cutting into the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

Has there been any leaks about how much each provider will be charging on Contract for the X?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

kod12 wrote: »
    Has there been any leaks about how much each provider will be charging on Contract for the X?

Going by what the carriers are charging for the 8 256GB I'd say your looking at between €650 to €700 for the the 256GB X.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

kod12 wrote: »

Apple charges 829 for an entry level 8 and 1179 for an entry level X.

So basically look at how much a network charges for a 8 and assume they will charge roughly 250 euros more for a X with the exact same contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Apple are cute feckers, i reckon they released an 8 to try and ease demand for the X hence why the 8 was released earlier. When Apple finally make a half decent phone like the X it will probably be near impossible to get. Apple need to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Apple are cute feckers, i reckon they released an 8 to try and ease demand for the X hence why the 8 was released earlier. When Apple finally make a half decent phone like the X it will probably be near impossible to get. Apple need to wake up.
    yup, I'm sure they are asleep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Micky 32 wrote: »

They hardly need to wake up, what they did was quite shrewd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

They hardly need to wake up, what they did was quite shrewd.
    Shrewd in what way?
    The 8 doesn't appear to be selling that well, and the X may have production issues to meet demand (and I heard that the share price took a hit due to both).
    Apple isn't in any trouble, but I'm not sure they've handled this all that well (time could change that of course).

Could be the glass, seems to break easy, probably not a smart move and it's making me think twice especially with two toddlers around, they'll get their hand on it sooner or later and smash it , expensive smash !

• Advertisement

Apple have used glass before, majority of Android phones use glass too. It's nothing new.

Yes but all around it too easy to smash.

Still doesn't matter, the 4, 4S was glass, the Samsung s6 and above are all glass too. There's very few good phones that aren't all glass or at least half glass on the back (pixel).

Still the point remains, people can leave the 8 and X phones or buy one of them. Apple aren't forcing you (not your personally, figuratively) to buy one, yet they are pretty good at forecasting supply and demand so they're not asleep like others suggest.

Yes but all around it too easy to smash.

On the other hand aluminium unibodies used since the 5 are far easier to scratch/chip/bend. Both materials have positive and negative aspects.

Personally I've never had any damage to a glass front or back panel (I've been using iPhones since the original one including the 4 and the 4S) but I have had marks on aluminium unibodies even with cases on the phone if small pieces of dirt get it and make some marks overtime. So I am actually happy enough with the glass option (it also offers quite better grip than Apple usual anodised aluminium finish).

I think it's pretty simple, if you have young hands and there's a chance they'll get their hands on it get an otter box or similar. Or buy apple care +

Still the point remains, people can leave the 8 and X phones or buy one of them. Apple aren't forcing you (not your personally, figuratively) to buy one
    That's a really poor argument. This is a forum for people who generally are into Apple devices or own them. Adding critical comments should be welcomed when obviously valid.

On the point of the glass back, given the increased cost of the phone, investment in a good phone cover is of even more importance. I've an old phone that I leave around for my daughter to grab if she wants to watch YouTube; whatever works to minimise her contact with my phone :)

That's a really poor argument. This is a forum for people who generally are into Apple devices or own them. Adding critical comments should be welcomed when obviously valid.

On the point of the glass back, given the increased cost of the phone, investment in a good phone cover is of even more importance. I've an old phone that I leave around for my daughter to grab if she wants to watch YouTube; whatever works to minimise her contact with my phone :)
    how is it poor? I'm into my Apple devices as much as the next person. I've queued 12 hours for an iPhone after getting off a 12 hour flight. Critical comments are fine I'm not saying they aren't but it's not like an all glass phone is a new thing.

how is it poor? I'm into my Apple devices as much as the next person. I've queued 12 hours for an iPhone after getting off a 12 hour flight. Critical comments are fine I'm not saying they aren't but it's not like an all glass phone is a new thing.
    I think it's a poor argument to say "well buy it or don't, nobody forcing you".
    People can want to stay within their Apple environment and yet provide valid criticism of the devices. It doesn't matter if others have all glass phones if it's an issue for the consumer of the product. For me it's not a big deal; I'd forgotten what the back of my phone looks like due the time it's spent in its case.

And if you've queued 12 hours for an iPhone after getting off a 12 hour flight, then you're into your Apple stuff far more than the next person :)
    I've been using an iPhone since the first model, but have never queued for it. Bit like the X, I can wait (if it's a worthy investment after checking it out) even if there are production delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Do any of the stores have demo models yet?

• Advertisement

Do any of the stores have demo models yet?

Not before it's actually released.

Advertisement