Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

Mine finally arrived.

Was told on the phone that the address was incomplete... funny then how the label on the box has my full address.

UPS, what a bunch of lying wasters.

At least I got my phone though, can’t wait to set it up, just a shame the buzz of getting a launch day phone as ruined by a bunch of lying incompetent fools eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Delivered!!! Now to see if i like it over my S8 i have been using the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Refurb2017

Anyone listening to Eoin McDermott? Interesting discussion on the iPhone X and the information it has on you and what it can be used for. Scare mongering?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Refurb2017 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Eoin McDermott? Interesting discussion on the iPhone X and the information it has on you and what it can be used for. Scare mongering?

Scare mongering. This isn’t android. Besides if you use Facebook or google. There’s far more out there about you than what your iPhone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

If you have any smartphone, the same applies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Scare mongering to an extent. But as other users pointed out, if android, Facebook or LinkedIn users actually read their T&C’s and saw how their data is used they wouldn’t use their services anymore.

I deleted the Facebook app from my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Mine finally arrived.

Was told on the phone that the address was incomplete... funny then how the label on the box has my full address.

UPS, what a bunch of lying wasters.

At least I got my phone though, can’t wait to set it up, just a shame the buzz of getting a launch day phone as ruined by a bunch of lying incompetent fools eh.
    Thankfully.
    Hopefully the whinging will now end.

Thankfully.

Nah. Why would I bother doing that?

Bit rich really whinging about someone whinging no?

Thankfully.

No. I’m ready to assume the mantle.

Where is my iPhone X Apple?! I don’t do waiting, and I’ve waited for far too long… :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

og2k7 wrote: »
    thats my thinking here exactly: I know its a first world problem, but just hate waiting. I wouldnt be surprised if they have split the orders in batches by time ordered and then mixed them up

As a side note got the Karapax screen protector (Anker's brand) as well - 5.99gbp for double pack: good value and had zero issues with their products before. Just in case someone is wondering which one to go for

Got the same case today. Seems to be pretty good quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Mine arrived, but decided to give it to the wife, so it had remained unopened pending her return.

Now in Paris. Got to compare the screen of x versus my 7+, the X is longer but narrower.

I run 2 iPads with 1 Apple pen, I seriously can’t be bothered to introduce a new charger requirement.

The Apps really need updating because it feels like looking at an iphone 5 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The entire device is encrypted. Apple themselves can’t crack it. If you have anything to hide from the powers that be then turn off Face ID. For most people it’s not an issue.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Mine arrived, but decided to give it to the wife, so it had remained unopened pending her return.

Now in Paris. Got to compare the screen of x versus my 7+, the X is longer but narrower.

I run 2 iPads with 1 Apple pen, I seriously can’t be bothered to introduce a new charger requirement.
    What requirement? Do you not have a smartphone already?

What requirement? Do you not have a smartphone already?

Unless I’m mistaken the X has an USB-C connection that my other devices don’t have.

Unless I’m mistaken the X has an USB-C connection that my other devices don’t have.

That’ll be a negatory. You can get a USB C charger and lightning to USB C cable to enable fast charging. But otherwise you get the usual 5W plug plus lightning cable.

mad muffin wrote: »
    That’ll be a negatory. You can get a USB C charger and lightning to USB C cable to enable fast charging. But otherwise you get the usual 5W plug plus lightning cable.

I guess that I should open the box 😀 I’m trying to convince myself that giving it to the wife is a good decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Nah. Why would I bother doing that?

Bit rich really whinging about someone whinging no?
    No.
    UPS, a great bunch of lads.

I guess that I should open the box �� I’m trying to convince myself that giving it to the wife is a good decision

My wife is getting my 7. I get my precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

iPhone X seems well received overall so far, no major issues reported over the weekend.

Displaymate has listed the X as having one of the best displays on the market.
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/06/displaymate-iphone-x-display-rating/

DxOMark has also given the camera a 97, falling just being the Google Pixel.
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/06/iphone-x-scores-97-dxomark/

Take these results with a grain of salt though, I never put too much stock in these benchmark type tests but it’s still good to see nevertheless.

I tried the camera over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the results. There was a significant upgrade for me coming from the iPhone 7.

From seeing side by side comparisons with the Google Pixel and the X I would tend to agree the X comes in second place in a lot of situations. But it’s still an amazing camera overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Loomis wrote: »
    Same as yourself; got my pre-order in about 8:08am (definitely before 8:10) on the 27th, but have an expected delivery of 13-20th that hasn't moved either.
    Really tempted to drop into a store if I know they definitely have one in stock.

I ordered my on Vodafone that afternoon and was waiting for me in the shop on launch day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

The front facing came is unbelievable though. I took a selfie in portrait mode and the detail was astounding. The photographer in work was v impressed.

Anemoji are great to entertain kids and the big child in grown ups.

You really notice the processing speed, and I'm coming from a 7 Plus.

I really thing its a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have to say lads its impressive, really like it

Cant believe how fast the face ID is - its fecking amazing

Advice - restore as old phone as you will have to manually add all apps to the phone and this takes an age

Question - on the 6s, i was able to use Zoomed to make icons bigger - can't see it now, with such a screen its nice t have zoom to read titles

Any help?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Have to say lads its impressive, really like it

Cant believe how fast the face ID is - its fecking amazing

Advice - restore as old phone as you will have to manually add all apps to the phone and this takes an age

Question - on the 6s, i was able to use Zoom to make icons bigger - can't see it now, with such a screen its nice t have zoom to read titles

Any help?

Think they removed the zoom feature from the X. It was on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.1 but setting up the X I noticed the option was removed from settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

DubDJ wrote: »
    Think they removed the zoom feature from the X. It was on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.1 but setting up the X I noticed the option was removed from settings.

I accidentally managed to activate zoom so it’s there somewhere

I set up the X as a new phone, clear the clutter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

snowflaker wrote: »
    I accidentally managed to activate zoom so it’s there somewhere

I set up the X as a new phone, clear the clutter

Zoom, most likely but Zoomed, where the icons were made bigger

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

No.
    UPS, a great bunch of lads.

Good man!

Was comparing the screen against me S8, S8 more colourful :-/

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Was comparing the screen against me S8, S8 more colourful :-/

Samsung generally over saturate their displays, so it's not realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Thankfully.

Sent from your iPhone 5? Jealousy is a terrible trait.

Advertisement