Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

og2k7 wrote: »
    So writing this from the X, a couple of things:

- pulling the settings from previous iphone takes much much less time than last year
    - notch is a non issue - dont even notice it
    - lack of the home button is like it never existed
    - display is loooong
    - face id works like a charm : über smooth

Will definitely get used to it but could have been a tad bigger - coming from 7+ and theres a difference. Not a massive jump really especially when ios11 has been used before. Not saying i am disappointed or anything but its not the second coming

Gestures work really nice and smooth. Now waiting for 28k photos to copy over to photos app

Yeah really noticing the reduction in size in landscape mode from the 6S plus. Its strange and I can't decide if I like it, I don't or I'm indifferent as there so much new stuff counterbalancing the landscape. I also feel like I have forgotten my phone when out and about its so compact in the pocket.

I used Face ID with Apple Pay today multiple times it was unreal you would almost think they set it to 'sure just pretend it works every time' mode. I can't believe they got it so good on the first attempt.

Screen quality is amazing, speakers perfect, gestures took 30 seconds to get used to. The tech they have put into this form factor is great, I don't think I have felt this way about a phone since the original iPhone. Which even with its shortcomings at the time like no copy and paste, was just so far ahead. The iPhone X may not be as far ahead of the pack but its got heads turning.... literally ...so those heads can unlock the phone...:).

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

adam88 wrote: »
    Anyone getting anything from three. Their customer service is shocking. Mine says dispatched but cs says 7 days
    They emailed me yesterday saying they now are out of stock and someone will ring me to see what I want to do. :-(
    Feck.
    256 space grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’m using it neked. Just like I did with the 7 before it, and the 6 before that.

I never went bare back myself with any iPhone always used a case looking at mine the case is right tight up to the screen which maybe is preventing the accumulation of dirt.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »

Jes*s what will the price tag be on that? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Marty Bird wrote: »

Don’t know if I’d like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Not for me. The X is at the upper limit of size for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Could be a tad bigger for me: just slightly wider and would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

og2k7 wrote: »
    Could be a tad bigger for me: just slightly wider and would be perfect

TWSS! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Same here, I actually even find the 6 slightly too large and I would have preferred the X to be a little less wide, and quite a bit shorter.

iPhone 5 size with a truly edge to edge display would be my ideal device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I had a 6 Plus, very happy with the size of the X.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve just realised that if you substitute any reference to an iPhone in this thread with the word “penis”, this is possibly the funniest thread in the history of boards.ie!

Watching this in HDR made my x look like the smart purchase

https://youtu.be/_rMm_Qz8wmI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone know what this is/how to activate it or disable it? Just randomly popped up on my screen and haven’t a clue what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Anyone know what this is/how to activate it or disable it? Just randomly popped up on my screen and haven’t a clue what it is

Settings > general > accessibility > zoom > off

I’m not sure what the shortcut is that would have brought it up tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Danbo! wrote: »
    I’m not sure what the shortcut is that would have brought it up tho.

Possibly a triple click on the side button: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204390

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I’ve tried the triple click but I don’t have anything set up as an accessibility shortcut - managed to remove it by just resetting the phone.

sean72 wrote: »
    Watching this in HDR made my x look like the smart purchase

https://youtu.be/_rMm_Qz8wmI

While I like my new phone, watching 4K HDR on a small screen doesn’t look much different to 1080p on a small screen IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Refurb2017

https://youtu.be/SuwTMeStGRg

Some useful tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I love my iPhone X, the camera is awesome, the speed is out of this world! At the rugby yesterday eve, young lad behind me goes, “Is that the iPhone X”, I felt so proud! Lolz

• Advertisement

Maybe my iPhone 6 battery had grown tired and is skewing reality but either way seriously impressed with the battery life on the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

faceman wrote: »
    Maybe my iPhone 6 battery had grown tired and is skewing reality but either way seriously impressed with the battery life on the X.

I moved from the 7 to the X. Found the upgrade to iOS 11 on the 7 really drained the battery. Was having to recharge the phone by lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭jsd1004

snowflaker wrote: »
    I love my iPhone X, the camera is awesome, the speed is out of this world! At the rugby yesterday eve, young lad behind me goes, “Is that the iPhone X”, I felt so proud! Lolz

Thats the problem these days. Normal people dont know you dropped 1200 euro on a phone. Only a geek might recognize it. None of the new phones are recognizable to be significantly different to their predecessors so unless you are into the tech most phones nowadays look the same. A flagship anything should not need someone to ask if it is what it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Do we know yet whether the fast wireless charging will be at 7.5w or 9w when it's enabled in the future software update?

Wondering if I should go with a 9w wireless charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Thats the problem these days. Normal people dont know you dropped 1200 euro on a phone. Only a geek might recognize it. None of the new phones are recognizable to be significantly different to their predecessors so unless you are into the tech most phones nowadays look the same. A flagship anything should not need someone to ask if it is what it is.

He was about 12. I like the discreteness tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Do we know yet whether the fast wireless charging will be at 7.5w or 9w when it's enabled in the future software update?

Wondering if I should go with a 9w wireless charger.
    Apple confirmed 7.5w as the faster option. Currently 5w until the update is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Maybe i’m just ranting, but after spending 1349 euro and the mediocre reviews it’s getting i would have expected better reviews, seems the Note 8 and S8’s are better even though cheaper. Makes you feel like money thrown away :-/ not to mention the cheaper note 8 is a faster phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Maybe i’m just ranting, but after spending 1349 euro and the mediocre reviews it’s getting i would have expected better reviews, seems the Note 8 and S8’s are better even though cheaper. Makes you feel like money thrown away :-/ not to mention the cheaper note 8 is a faster phone.

Note 8 is not faster, iPhone 8 or X beats it in all benchmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Armonline wrote: »
    Note 8 is not faster, iPhone 8 or X beats it in all benchmarks.

I think you just mentioned the phone he should have bought.

I’d flip the X and it’s notch while it’s still worth something, you might even make a profit.

S8 is a great looking phone though the note 8 is huge. I’d take the s8 over the X but wouldn’t take it over the iPhone 8.

The benchmarks in the high end phones now are of little worry to ordinarily uses there all good enough. It’s not a reason to buy an X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think you just mentioned the phone he should have bought.

I’d flip the X and it’s notch while it’s still worth something, you might even make a profit.

S8 is a great looking phone though the note 8 is huge. I’d take the s8 over the X but wouldn’t take it over the iPhone 8.

The benchmarks in the high end phones now are of little worry to ordinarily uses there all good enough. It’s not a reason to buy an X.

I have an S8 and it feels cheap and not as nice in the hand or as good looking as the X, the S8 is thrown in the corner gathering dust.

What bothers me is the cheaper note 8, yes the benchmarks are lower but looking at youtube videos the note is quicker and snappier.

Advertisement