Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Maybe i’m just ranting, but after spending 1349 euro and the mediocre reviews it’s getting i would have expected better reviews, seems the Note 8 and S8’s are better even though cheaper. Makes you feel like money thrown away :-/ not to mention the cheaper note 8 is a faster phone.

Reviews round-up: https://www.stuff.tv/features/apple-iphone-x-review-round

"Well, there you have it: pretty much everyone seems overwhelmingly impressed with the iPhone X, even if there's a learning curve and some things are a bit odd or different. We're looking forward to bringing you our own verdict soon, but for now, other impressions suggest that Apple's revamped iPhone really delivers."

How is that mediocre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Haters gonna hate

I have an S8 and it feels cheap and not as nice in the hand or as good looking as the X, the S8 is thrown in the corner gathering dust.

What bothers me is the cheaper note 8, yes the benchmarks are lower but looking at youtube videos the note is quicker and snappier.

The Note 8 isn't really faster, it just has more RAM. Samsung have done better with their RAM management, though. the X still has a faster chip and will do really intense tasks faster....I just don't know that the average user does these intense tasks, so maybe they would feel a speed difference when using the Note 8. The OP5 would beat both in the style of speed test done below, though.

For the record, I have the Note 8 and I love it. The Note is a unique device with the S-Pen, and i would use it regularly. I can't tell any speed difference in everyday use when comparing it back to my U11, or the Moto Z before that.

I understand your point about the amount of money the X costs, but Apple have never been about value for money. I guess in the past you were paying for a clearly faster device, a better camera etc. Those days are long gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I have an S8 and it feels cheap and not as nice in the hand or as good looking as the X, the S8 is thrown in the corner gathering dust.

What bothers me is the cheaper note 8, yes the benchmarks are lower but looking at youtube videos the note is quicker and snappier.

I meant you should have bought the iPhone 8.

Sell the 3 of them to buy a Red Hydrogen, It’ll give you the really exclusive feeling I think your after.
    The Huawei Mate 10 Pro Porsche design is also another contender for your cash.
    Both more expensive than the X.

I think most of us here would be comparing the X to other iPhones though and wouldn’t really be looking at a droid regardless of benchmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I meant you should have bought the iPhone 8.

Sell the 3 of them to buy a Red Hydrogen, It’ll give you the really exclusive feeling I think your after.
    The Huawei Mate 10 Pro Porsche design is also another contender for your cash.
    Both more expensive than the X.

I think most of us here would be comparing the X to other iPhones though and wouldn’t really be looking at a droid regardless of benchmarks.

Couldn’t go back to a LCD after using OLED so not buying an 8. To be honest i always felt the iphone was more exclusive than Samsung, more popular , better resale value and easier sold. It definately feels a more expensive phone in my hand than the S8 and regarding the Note 8 i just felt it was an oversized S8. I mean my S8 dropped ( low height and with a case) and the back shattered.

I just thought there was a bit of negativity in the review world, more than there should be for a 1k plus phone. A lot of people moaning about the notch but to be honest i hardly notice it most of the time.

• Advertisement

Couldn’t go back to a LCD after using OLED so not buying an 8. To be honest i always felt the iphone was more exclusive than Samsung, more popular , better resale value and easier sold. It definately feels a more expensive phone in my hand than the S8 and regarding the Note 8 i just felt it was an oversized S8. I mean my S8 dropped ( low height and with a case) and the back shattered.

I just thought there was a bit of negativity in the review world, more than there should be for a 1k plus phone. A lot of people moaning about the notch but to be honest i hardly notice it most of the time.

I can’t wait to try the Razer Phone wondering if I’ll able to go back to a 60Hz screen after the quick scrolling 120Hz on the Razer.
    Yea the note 8 isn’t for everyone, I think if it’s useful for your job then it’s a buy but for most people the s8 is plenty. I know some guys who wouldn’t be without the pen for work.

The X is certainly the more premium feel but I just can’t get over the notch. I think the reviews have been too kind, it’s got some serious flaws that reviewers knock other phones on, made of glass, poor battery, the notch. That’s a 3 out of 5 star phone when it should be a 5 out of 5 phone considering the price tag.

I think I’d be more accepting of the notch if it was at the bottom and wrapped around the home button. I don’t see it as a long term design from Apple, I’m pretty sure the iPhone 9 won’t have a notch as they’ll have figured it out by then.

Your s8 that broke, I’d knock it a star the same way as the X, they all need otter boxes as there fragile. A phone reviewer shouldn’t be giving 10/10 reviews when the phone won’t last without a case.
    The X should be knocked by reviewers for the notch but isn’t. There’s something inherently wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

snowflaker wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate
    Adults still say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Haters gonna hate
    Adults still say this?

You can thank Taylor Swift’s influence for this. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Thats the problem these days. Normal people dont know you dropped 1200 euro on a phone. Only a geek might recognize it. None of the new phones are recognizable to be significantly different to their predecessors so unless you are into the tech most phones nowadays look the same. A flagship anything should not need someone to ask if it is what it is.

Wha.

Brand identification all well and good if you want to advertise for whatever mega corp manufactured your device but it doesn’t help you as an end-user in any way, and distracts from the act of using it. It’s bad design, plain and simple.

I’d argue if anything Apple have calliously used the notch as a way to help brand recognition. Their design guidelines for developers instructing them not to hide the notch, desipite OLED screens being great at displaying black, tells you as much.

Less is usually more with Apple but in this case they’ve took the opposite approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Anyway since getting the phone and using it i’m finding hard to actually fault it. As for the notch i hardly notice it when using the phone , all i see is the content, makes me wonder people who complain about the notch are very hard pleased....

Anyone using the 11.2 beta program? I’m using it seems to run good, has a few extra wallpapers.

• Advertisement

makes me wonder people who complain about the notch are very hard pleased....
    Why? Just because you (and I) don't really notice it, doesn't mean that others who do are hard pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I see that the rumour mill is pointing to an X plus next year, as well as a 6.1 inch led model. Again, the plus really is an obvious move for Apple, especially given the sales performance of the both 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

I see that the rumour mill is pointing to an X plus next year, as well as a 6.1 inch led model. Again, the plus really is an obvious move for Apple, especially given the sales performance of the both 8s.

I'd say 8, 8 plus and then "normal X" and an X plus. Anything below will be canned. The notch will be staying for another year at least for consistency

Here's my crystal ball moment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don’t understand who the giants are clamouring for 6+ inch phablets are but they clearly exist. Even the 6 was a leap out of the sweat spot for me, but the increased screen real estate did enough to make it stick even if one-handed use is still awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Mine was delivered this morning. Setting it up now. Man this thing is small coming from a plus.

Mine was delivered this morning. Setting it up now. Man this thing is small coming from a plus.

Yup: it kinda reminds me of 5s design wise.

It is smaller though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

og2k7 wrote: »
    I'd say 8, 8 plus and then "normal X" and an X plus. Anything below will be canned. The notch will be staying for another year at least for consistency

Here's my crystal ball moment ;)

This is coming from Ming-Chi Kuo, so there's a high chance it'll pan out. I'm guessing that want to a) kill of touch ID asap to force hold outs who want don't want to give it up and/or b) they've seen what mess their phone portfolio is and want to streamline it significantly. That leaves the 5 sized phone though. Do they just iPod it and keep it around for well past its sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Are most people’s orders taking 3 weeks? Has anyone ordered lately? Thinking of ordering as fed up waiting on Vodafone to get stock!

Adults still say this?

must do. I'm an adult (37) and I said it.

must do. I'm an adult (37) and I said it.
    Age =/=acting like an adult.

• Advertisement

The next premium iPhone should be called the Xi

The next premium iPhone should be called the Xi

Will you stop, there bad enough as it is, neither samsung or apple have learned how to count to 10 yet.

Will you stop, there bad enough as it is, neither samsung or apple have learned how to count to 10 yet.

Xi would be in sequence!

The little swipe at the bottom to move through open apps is cool! (I was previously swiping up on the app to scroll through)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

iPhone X Snow Leopard sounds good to me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

An X Plus is surely going to be just too expensive for a mass appeal consumer phone unless they cut the prices.

I think Apple have kind of reached the tipping point in terms of price right now, they are going to have to start innovating in ways that doesn’t just involved throwing more expensive parts at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

awec wrote: »
    An X Plus is surely going to be just too expensive for a mass appeal consumer phone unless they cut the prices.

I think Apple have kind of reached the tipping point in terms of price right now, they are going to have to start innovating in ways that doesn’t just involved throwing more expensive parts at it.

To be honest I thought they reached that point and some with the X but it’s selling pretty well. The plus size would definitely interest me but price is the major factor maybe they will reduce the price which Apple just don’t do.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

I'm enjoying mine so far. The one niggling disappointment is video scaling. I'd welcome a slightly larger size for better scaling. I came to the X from a 6S Plus so am used to that size.

• Advertisement

Marty Bird wrote: »
    To be honest I thought they reached that point and some with the X but it’s selling pretty well. The plus size would definitely interest me but price is the major factor maybe they will reduce the price which Apple just don’t do.

they wont, id say to come up with updated animojis ;) [my kids love them btw]
    or some other feature that will justify the price hike

I love the X btw (could have been bigger) - the face ID is amazing and if my previous 7+ had it plus the screen it would have been a perfect phone in every single category

Advertisement