Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I’ve come from the 7 Plus I find the X a better fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

awec wrote: »
    An X Plus is surely going to be just too expensive for a mass appeal consumer phone unless they cut the prices.

I think Apple have kind of reached the tipping point in terms of price right now, they are going to have to start innovating in ways that doesn’t just involved throwing more expensive parts at it.

The X price is definitely reaching a point whereby to is repulsing a lot of potential buyers. But on the other hand I think Apple's new strategy might be to do this in order to milk people who want the latest tech as much as possible while selling cheaper/older products to the mass market (still with very confortable margins). I've heard several people around me saying they bought a 7 this year because the X is way off their price range and their don't thing the 8 justifies the price difference. And when you think about it that's good for Apple as the price is still 700 euros which is what a flagship model would have been not too long ago, and on the other hand they have long recovered their development cost on it and it is much cheaper to manufacture.

Apple always was an aspirational product a high price point is key to maintain this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

snowflaker wrote: »
    Apple always was an aspirational product a high price point is key to maintain this

The marketing strategy for the iPhone has clearly changed though.

In the first few years or so the price bracket was 499-699 euros and there were not more than 2 phones in the product line at a given time. Most people getting a new iPhone would just go for the latest and greatest.

Nowadays the range is 419-1349 euros and there are 5 phones (or even 8 if you count plus / non plus variants of the 6S/7/8 separately). A lot of people are not going for the latest and greatest. Clearly the top of the line is not meant to be as a mass market product as it used to be and that role is transitioning to what are now the low and mid range products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Anyone having their apps freeze when setting up their x. Mine are all frozen in the download from I cloud. All the pics and my music and everything downloaded but my apps seem to be frozen. I’ve stopped them and restarted and turned the phone on and off again. I’m at my wits end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

adam88 wrote: »
    Anyone having their apps freeze when setting up their x. Mine are all frozen in the download from I cloud. All the pics and my music and everything downloaded but my apps seem to be frozen. I’ve stopped them and restarted and turned the phone on and off again. I’m at my wits end

You mean greyed out? If so, just tap them all and resume downloading - I had to do the same for most of the apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

Im looking for a wireless charger, its hard to go back through this thread even though im half following it.

Would this be suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Anker-Charging-PowerPort-Qi-Enabled/dp/B01KJL4XNY/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510829670&sr=1-10&keywords=wireless+charger+iphone+x

Any help is appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mel123 wrote: »
    Im looking for a wireless charger, its hard to go back through this thread even though im half following it.

Would this be suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Anker-Charging-PowerPort-Qi-Enabled/dp/B01KJL4XNY/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510829670&sr=1-10&keywords=wireless+charger+iphone+x

Any help is appreciated

Any wireless charger that uses the Qi wireless standard will be suitable, just like the link you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

I got this one and it works very well with the X, I'm hoping it will support the new faster wireless charging when Apple releases a firmware update to support it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0XZDMD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

rgbm1 wrote: »
    I got this one and it works very well with the X, I'm hoping it will support the new faster wireless charging when Apple releases a firmware update to support it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0XZDMD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks good! Good one for the bedside, tough to decide between it and the Anker one unless looking for immediate delivery.

Tazium wrote: »
    That looks good! Good one for the bedside, tough to decide between it and the Anker one unless looking for immediate delivery.

Are the LED's on a lot of them an issue for people using them beside their bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Rew wrote: »
    Are the LED's on a lot of them an issue for people using them beside their bed?

I had a Samsung one for my android and it had a blue light that came on when charging. Very annoying at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Sixtoes wrote: »
    I had a Samsung one for my android and it had a blue light that came on when charging. Very annoying at night.

Got same one for my android 2 years ago. They are too slow compared to the fast charger. Used it once or twice and reverted back to fast charger. 2 hours for 40% is just annoying.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Got same one for my android 2 years ago. They are too slow compared to the fast charger. Used it once or twice and reverted back to fast charger. 2 hours for 40% is just annoying.

I don't plan to use the wireless ones for anything other then night time beside the bed. Have USB-C to do proper fast charge if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

anyone got any good place for covers in a B&M shop in Dub ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

My Order has just gone to preparing for dispatch and apple took the money for it but the estimated date still says 28th - 5th , do you think it will still take that long, how long did everyone else's take to ship once it when to preparing for dispatch ?

I have my wireless charger in work, handy on the desk charging my phone away while I toil for the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

My Order has just gone to preparing for dispatch and apple took the money for it but the estimated date still says 28th - 5th , do you think it will still take that long, how long did everyone else's take to ship once it when to preparing for dispatch ?

Will probably ship tomorrow for delivery on Monday/Tuesday.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Will probably ship tomorrow for delivery on Monday/Tuesday.

Oh god I hope so the waiting is killing me . Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The X gets noticed when out and about, had a couple of " Oh you got the new iPhone" The 6 months i had my S8 not one person mentioned it to me. The notch must be noticable from a distance when the screen is on lol

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The X gets noticed when out and about, had a couple of " Oh you got the new iPhone" The 6 months i had my S8 not one person mentioned it to me. The notch must be noticable from a distance when the screen is on lol

Have only drawn negative attention so far, few smart remarks about the cost of it (from people I know not randomers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’d expect that from people you know anyway, my mother got her comments in regarding the price when she found out i have one lol

New glass protecter fitted on my iPhone X. Looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Micky 32 wrote: »

The mad thing is the distinguishing feature is the notch. Without it no one could recognize it. And the notch is why its crap. Its a mad world

Anyone else insanely in love with FaceID? It’s brilliant. Way more consistent than touchID

Does anyone know where I would get a cheap enough case until my exepensive very protective case arrives ? Phone came today and wasnt due until 28th happy days but to nerves to use it with out something on it to protect it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Does anyone know where I would get a cheap enough case until my exepensive very protective case arrives ? Phone came today and wasnt due until 28th happy days but to nerves to use it with out something on it to protect it

Possessions end up owning you!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Iam currently using a Samsung S8 which i can't fault one bit. It's a great phone and lightning fast (particularly if you use nova launcher and reduce animations)

However. I've been using android for years now and i feel it's time for change. The iPhone x interests me as it's equally as good looking. Certainly offers something different. My issue is that it's significantly more expensive then a phone that's already top of the range. In fact, There's even an argument to be made that the S8 is a better device over all.

Has anyone here switched to the iPhone X from an S8 and are you happy? What so you prefer about the X or perhaps miss about the S8.

Personally i wish Apple gave you Both face i.d and touch i.d. It could have easily being implemented on the back of the device. For me personally i think the notification led that almost every android phone has is massively under appreciated. Such a handy thing and it baffles me that Apple never included one in any of their devices. The ability to customise your phone / download themes etc is really great too for changing things up every so often and i feel Apple pretty much refuse to allow this almost as if they know how your phone should look and you gotta just live with it or tough ****.

Had the new iPhone X had all the above then the price for me just might be justified. Sometimes it's the small things that seem uneccesary that really make the user experience what it is.

I feel Samsung listen to what the consumer wants more so then Apple. It's almost like Apple has this "we know best" attitude and you can take it or leave it. Let alone the try and take you for every penny they can. Having to pay extra for the fast charger is really taken the piss in my opinion let alone how much they want for it.

None the less. For some reason the iPhone X tempts me and is no doubt a great device but is it worth the money in your opinion? Really interested to hear from anyone that has picked one up after using Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

snowflaker wrote: »
    Anyone else insanely in love with FaceID? It’s brilliant. Way more consistent than touchID

It is great and I appreciate it more than Touch ID. Only thing I don’t like compared to Touch ID, is on table use.

Advertisement