Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Yeah you have to reach over lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

snowflaker wrote: »
    Anyone else insanely in love with FaceID? It’s brilliant. Way more consistent than touchID

Yep. I’ve read a lot online of people saying it fails every few times or it’s slow, but I’ve seen absolutely zero fails in the week of using it. It’s fast, easy and the best bit is tapping a notification on the lock screen and it opens, rather than tapping then moving the thumb to home button. I don’t use Apple Pay tho so haven’t tried that out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yeah you have to reach over lol

Oh and reachability and the control centre location are other things I’d like to see improved.

Danbo! wrote: »
    Yep. I’ve read a lot online of people saying it fails every few times or it’s slow, but I’ve seen absolutely zero fails in the week of using it. It’s fast, easy and the best bit is tapping a notification on the lock screen and it opens, rather than tapping then moving the thumb to home button. I don’t use Apple Pay tho so haven’t tried that out yet.

Apple Pay is no problem

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh and reachability and the control centre location are other things I’d like to see improved.

Whats wrong with the control centre???

I usually dont use my iPhone while its lying on a table, I like to keep mien handi, in... my hand!

• Advertisement

baalad wrote: »
    Iam currently using a Samsung S8 which i can't fault one bit. It's a great phone and lightning fast (particularly if you use nova launcher and reduce animations)

However. I've been using android for years now and i feel it's time for change. The iPhone x interests me as it's equally as good looking. Certainly offers something different. My issue is that it's significantly more expensive then a phone that's already top of the range. In fact, There's even an argument to be made that the S8 is a better device over all.

Has anyone here switched to the iPhone X from an S8 and are you happy? What so you prefer about the X or perhaps miss about the S8.

Personally i wish Apple gave you Both face i.d and touch i.d. It could have easily being implemented on the back of the device. For me personally i think the notification led that almost every android phone has is massively under appreciated. Such a handy thing and it baffles me that Apple never included one in any of their devices. The ability to customise your phone / download themes etc is really great too for changing things up every so often and i feel Apple pretty much refuse to allow this almost as if they know how your phone should look and you gotta just live with it or tough ****.

Had the new iPhone X had all the above then the price for me just might be justified. Sometimes it's the small things that seem uneccesary that really make the user experience what it is.

I feel Samsung listen to what the consumer wants more so then Apple. It's almost like Apple has this "we know best" attitude and you can take it or leave it. Let alone the try and take you for every penny they can. Having to pay extra for the fast charger is really taken the piss in my opinion let alone how much they want for it.

None the less. For some reason the iPhone X tempts me and is no doubt a great device but is it worth the money in your opinion? Really interested to hear from anyone that has picked one up after using Android.

Are you just saying you'd like to try the X, just to take cheap pot shots?

Apple are creative, Samsung reactive.

Everyone needed CD/DVD drives... what happened them? 3.5mm jacks? retro!

Are you just saying you'd like to try the X, just to take cheap pot shots?

Apple are creative, Samsung reactive.

Everyone needed CD/DVD drives... what happened them? 3.5mm jacks? retro!

Apple aren't creative. They refine the ideas of others.

I'm the same boat as the person you quoted. The X is the first Apple device I'd want to really have a go at using, despite its flaws. I have an iPhone for work, and tried to use it as my primary, but I couldn't last a day. I was hoping one of my bosses would get the X so I could have a tinker, but this is the first Apple device they have no interest in, strange.

Regarding the headphone jack, I've had a couple of devices without one, and it wasn't a big deal. There were a couple of times I could have done with it (needing to charge while listening to something, forgetting my BT headphones at the gym), so why not just leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Whats wrong with the control centre???

I usually dont use my iPhone while its lying on a table, I like to keep mien handi, in... my hand!

It’s all the way up there in the right corner. At least with the notification centre you can swipe it down from the notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Basil3 wrote: »

I'm the same boat as the person you quoted. The X is the first Apple device I'd want to really have a go at using, despite its flaws. I have an iPhone for work, and tried to use it as my primary, but I couldn't last a day. I was hoping one of my bosses would get the X so I could have a tinker, but this is the first Apple device they have no interest in, strange.

Regarding the headphone jack, I've had a couple of devices without one, and it wasn't a big deal. There were a couple of times I could have done with it (needing to charge while listening to something, forgetting my BT headphones at the gym), so why not just leave it there?

Whilst i do think removing the headphone jack was silly. Its not something that bothers me personally because i seldom listen to music on my phone / use headphones but lots of people do but Apple pretty much don't care what the customer wants! They know best it seems! This is what bugs me with Apple.

I would like to give the device a go all the same as its obviously a great device despite its flaws. This biggest of which for me is lak of a notification light (I can live without it but i feel its such an easy feature to implement and is so handy that every phone should have it) Its really the lak of customisation options where Apple almost refuses to allow the consumer to personalise the device to their own taste etc that baffles me!

Again i can probably get over that! I really just want something different as i have been with Android years now and love it but i just feel i would like to try something different! The real issue is deciding if the iphone x is worth alot more money then my S8 is worth when my S8 is arguably better over all!

I think thats where most of Apple's criticism comes from - pricing! If the phone was priced fairly and they didnt take the piss with wanting almost an extra 100 bucks if you wanted to buy a fast charger (MADNESS) Then i think they would not only sell ALOT more phones but they wouldn't be the subject of so much criticism!

It takes up space for speakers and room inside for battery etc sure why not but a tape deck in it???

• Advertisement

Whilst i do think removing the headphone jack was silly. Its not something that bothers me personally because i seldom listen to music on my phone / use headphones but lots of people do but Apple pretty much don't care what the customer wants! They know best it seems! This is what bugs me with Apple.

I would like to give the device a go all the same as its obviously a great device despite its flaws. This biggest of which for me is lak of a notification light (I can live without it but i feel its such an easy feature to implement and is so handy that every phone should have it) Its really the lak of customisation options where Apple almost refuses to allow the consumer to personalise the device to their own taste etc that baffles me!

Again i can probably get over that! I really just want something different as i have been with Android years now and love it but i just feel i would like to try something different! The real issue is deciding if the iphone x is worth alot more money then my S8 is worth when my S8 is arguably better over all!

I think thats where most of Apple's criticism comes from - pricing! If the phone was priced fairly and they didnt take the piss with wanting almost an extra 100 bucks if you wanted to buy a fast charger (MADNESS) Then i think they would not only sell ALOT more phones but they wouldn't be the subject of so much criticism!

The X is a luxury product not a mass market one

mad muffin wrote: »
    It’s all the way up there in the right corner. At least with the notification centre you can swipe it down from the notch.

I’m left handed, hold the phone with my right, so my thumb is up there. The joys of being a southpaw

The X is a luxury product not a mass market one

So are many other less expensive devices!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I hate all the bullsh1t of Apple versus Android. I have being useing both for years as I have a Samsung for work and Apple for personal use. Both have pros and cons.

I have a general dislike for Samsung predictive keyboards. The amount of times it replaces a valid word with an email address is embarrassing at this stage.

If I need to default to a device to send an email iOS wins each time.

As a phone user I don’t care who comes up with the technology first, what matters is use makes it the most user friendly.

Every time my Samsung has been upgraded I’ve had first dibs at sampling fingerprint and face recognition technology. And quite frankly, it’s ranged from unusable to ok. Apple may have been late to the party but generally speaking has nailed the technology.

But Apple is far from perfect. The forced phasing out of old tech by iOS upgrades is consumer unfriendly. The notifications interface needs an overhaul.

My gripes with Apple UI is less then my gripes with Android Ui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

Danbo! wrote: »

its been failing on me all day so annoying only had phone 24 hours. Love it despite this though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

anyone get one of the speck cases yet was wondering if the edge at the bottom interferes with gestures etc?

faceman wrote: »
    I hate all the bullsh1t of Apple versus Android. I have being useing both for years as I have a Samsung for work and Apple for personal use. Both have pros and cons.

I have a general dislike for Samsung predictive keyboards. The amount of times it replaces a valid word with an email address is embarrassing at this stage.

If I need to default to a device to send an email iOS wins each time.

As a phone user I don’t care who comes up with the technology first, what matters is use makes it the most user friendly.

Every time my Samsung has been upgraded I’ve had first dibs at sampling fingerprint and face recognition technology. And quite frankly, it’s ranged from unusable to ok. Apple may have been late to the party but generally speaking has nailed the technology.

But Apple is far from perfect. The forced phasing out of old tech by iOS upgrades is consumer unfriendly. The notifications interface needs an overhaul.

My gripes with Apple UI is less then my gripes with Android Ui

I actually would actually agree regarding some of your points! Samsung's attempt at face recognition / Iris scanner was ok for example but certainly wasn't perfected. However, Samsung made sure to keep the finger print scanner and also gave you other options!

The default keyboard on samsung is also something im not a fan of and i use swifktey instead which works great for me. Swiftkey is available for ios to be fair but is nowhere near as good as it is for Android!

I don't think Samsung is miles ahead of the Iphone like some people suggest but i do believe that it is technically the better device if over all specs are important to you.

Its the price that really separates the two for me. The Samsung S8 for example is a very good device and that cannot be denied. It can be bought for around 600 bucks now whilst the Iphone X is valued at almost double that price. Tell me thats not insane / robbery?

Even at the S8's launch price it was still significantly cheaper!

Even if you were to say that at best both devices are as good as one another. Why do Apple feel their device is worthy of been far more expensive and then they refuse to include the fast charger and charge 60 euro for the plug alone. Its taking the piss out of the consumer. Plain and simple

You can tell me "Don't buy it then" Simple as that and thats fine. But the questions still needs to be asked in my opinion!

The cost to replace the screen should you break it is also crazy money. The irony is that whilst its expensive to replace the screen on an S8 (somewhat understandable as its curved etc) Why is it far more expensive for Apple to replace the screen on their device when its also made by samsung lol Apple over charge you for everything and thats a fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have both phones. However the X is not worth twice the amount of money over the S8. Apple are ripping off it's customers full stop and yes i fell for it :o..

Personally though i still think the X edges over the S8. The S8 feels cheaper in the hand than the X. The build quality and materials are ahead on the X. The X is a faster phone also, i did app opening tests and the X always opened them faster, it's a snappier phone..

Apart from the notch, i feel the X screen edges over the S8. It's more pleasing to the eye with better contrast and the colours look more real, for example red looks like luminous orange on the S8. Too much saturation. The accuracy of the touch screen is much better on the iphones, when i use the S8 and when i'm sending a text it was very easy to select the wrong letter, for example i select F but would get a G. Also the S8 edge screen can be a pain because when holding the edges of the phone it senses your touch and can navigate somewhere else....

The X has more street cred, 2 people have passed comment on my phone with interest since getting it and not one person made comment on my S8 over the 6 months i have been using it..

If you have been using Android for years you might find IOS hard to get used to, that's the main problem you will have next to being ripped off by Apple...:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I actually would actually agree regarding some of your points! Samsung's attempt at face recognition / Iris scanner was ok for example but certainly wasn't perfected. However, Samsung made sure to keep the finger print scanner and also gave you other options!

The default keyboard on samsung is also something im not a fan of and i use swifktey instead which works great for me. Swiftkey is available for ios to be fair but is nowhere near as good as it is for Android!

I don't think Samsung is miles ahead of the Iphone like some people suggest but i do believe that it is technically the better device if over all specs are important to you.

Its the price that really separates the two for me. The Samsung S8 for example is a very good device and that cannot be denied. It can be bought for around 600 bucks now whilst the Iphone X is valued at almost double that price. Tell me thats not insane / robbery?

Even at the S8's launch price it was still significantly cheaper!

Even if you were to say that at best both devices are as good as one another. Why do Apple feel their device is worthy of been far more expensive and then they refuse to include the fast charger and charge 60 euro for the plug alone. Its taking the piss out of the consumer. Plain and simple

You can tell me "Don't buy it then" Simple as that and thats fine. But the questions still needs to be asked in my opinion!

The cost to replace the screen should you break it is also crazy money. The irony is that whilst its expensive to replace the screen on an S8 (somewhat understandable as its curved etc) Why is it far more expensive for Apple to replace the screen on their device when its also made by samsung lol Apple over charge you for everything and thats a fact!

I hear good things about the Swift keyboard thing but i could never get the hang of it. But that’s me not the software!

Re the pricing, I agree that Apple is high end pricing but that’s their model unfortunately and they are now, finally in their eyes, where they can sell phones at different price points.

It’s a bit like Toyota and Lexus. They’re all Toyotas but the Lexus label is there to pump up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Samsung's attempt at face recognition / Iris scanner was ok for example but certainly wasn't perfected. However, Samsung made sure to keep the finger print scanner and also gave you other options!

This point shows two aspects where Samsung us seriously lacking compared to Apple.

1) A company which is focused on confident about its technology doesn't introduce three alternative biometric authentication methods on its phone: it would pick one and perfect it until it is good enough to be the only option available and which will satisfy most users.

2) Perhaps more importantly if is a sign of poor security practises: when you have 3 alternate authentication methods you are adding up the weaknesses of all methods hence making the phone less secure (since the devices requires face OR iris OR fingerprint, engineering teams have to spread their ressources across 3 times more security matters, and a potential hacker is free to choose whichever option they see as the weakest link).

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have both phones. However the X is not worth twice the amount of money over the S8. Apple are ripping off it's customers full stop and yes i fell for it :o..

Personally though i still think the X edges over the S8. The S8 feels cheaper in the hand than the X. The build quality and materials are ahead on the X. The X is a faster phone also, i did app opening tests and the X always opened them faster, it's a snappier phone..

Apart from the notch, i feel the X screen edges over the S8. It's more pleasing to the eye with better contrast and the colours look more real, for example red looks like luminous orange on the S8. Too much saturation. The accuracy of the touch screen is much better on the iphones, when i use the S8 and when i'm sending a text it was very easy to select the wrong letter, for example i select F but would get a G. Also the S8 edge screen can be a pain because when holding the edges of the phone it senses your touch and can navigate somewhere else....

The X has more street cred, 2 people have passed comment on my phone with interest since getting it and not one person made comment on my S8 over the 6 months i have been using it..

If you have been using Android for years you might find IOS hard to get used to, that's the main problem you will have next to being ripped off by Apple...:P

Iam not a Samsung "fanboy" is thats the correct term but i think its important to point out that Samsung acknowledge that there display is vibrant/punchy and therefore not an accurate representation but again they offer the option within settings to adjust to your taste and photo/basic mode for example are much more similar to that of the iphone! Where as with Apple what you get is what your stuck with. I have never personally had any issues with the edge display in relation to accidental touches etc but i did experience that on the s7 edge. S8 is also lightning quick for me but i have disabled animations within developer options otherwise it would not be as quick by default!

How is the battery compared to the S8?

Bob24 wrote: »
    This point shows two aspects where Samsung us seriously lacking compared to Apple.

1) A company which is focused on confident about its technology doesn't introduce three alternative biometric authentication methods on its phone: it would pick one and perfect it until it is good enough to be the only option available and which will satisfy most users.

2) Perhaps more importantly if is a sign of poor security practises: when you have 3 alternate authentication methods you are adding up the weaknesses of all methods hence making the phone less secure (since the devices requires face OR iris OR fingerprint, engineering teams have to spread their ressources across 3 times more security matters, and a potential hacker is free to choose whichever option they see as the weakest link).

1) No, android has always been about choice. There has always been multiple ways of unlocking for years. PIN, passcode, pattern, face unlock, fingerprint, iris.

2) Are you saying that engineers have to spend resources securing old unlock methods? Those poor Apple engineers must still be up to their eyes with 'security matters' with pin and FPS, because let's not forget that is still how most Apple users secure their devices.

Bob24 wrote: »

Iam not even gonna answer to that other then to just say i cannot believe your suggesting a company is lacking in comparison to another company because they offer the consumer more options!

1) No, android has always been about choice. There has always been multiple ways of unlocking for years. PIN, passcode, pattern, face unlock, fingerprint, iris.

2) Are you saying that engineers have to spend resources securing old unlock methods? Those poor Apple engineers must still be up to their eyes with 'security matters' with pin and FPS, because let's not forget that is still how most Apple users secure their devices.

Choice is of course good in some cases. But when the reason you give choice is that you know some or all of your options are not working that well, you have a problem and what you're doing is really adding items to a spec sheet just for the sake of making it longer instead of fixing issues with your product. What do consumers care about choosing between iris scanning or face recognition? The purpose and use case for both technologies is exactly the same and users just want something that is safe and works consistantly to recognise them.

On security, Apple devices typically have 2 authentication methods: an "old-fashion" one (password or PIN) and a biometric one (either Touch ID or Face ID). The Samsung ones we are talking about have 4 (also an "old-fashion" one which is always there as a fall back on any device regardless of brand, plus face recognition, plus iris recognition, plus fingerprint sensor). It is pretty clear this gives many more opportunities for hackers to find security flaws and significantly more work to Samsung's engineer to try and prevent that from happening.

Edit: see what I mean: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8-best-way-unlock,news-24913.html

In short:
    - finger print sensor not very conveniently located
    - face recognition not very secure as very easy to fool with a simple picture (meaning Samsung doesn’t trust it for payments), and doesn’t work well in dim environments or bright daylight
    - iris scanner doesn't work in bright sunlight as it requires to keep your eyes fully open for a period which is not possible

This is what I was calling the wrong kind of choice: one option with no major drawback would be better than three options which all have a drawback.

Iam not even gonna answer to that other then to just say i cannot believe your suggesting a company is lacking in comparison to another company because they offer the consumer more options!

Lacking because in this particular exemple they are offering more clumsy and less secure biometric authentication is what I said.

Not saying Samsung is inferior in every aspect btw, but in this one it clearly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Iam not a Samsung "fanboy" is thats the correct term but i think its important to point out that Samsung acknowledge that there display is vibrant/punchy and therefore not an accurate representation but again they offer the option within settings to adjust to your taste and photo/basic mode for example are much more similar to that of the iphone! Where as with Apple what you get is what your stuck with. I have never personally had any issues with the edge display in relation to accidental touches etc but i did experience that on the s7 edge. S8 is also lightning quick for me but i have disabled animations within developer options otherwise it would not be as quick by default!

How is the battery compared to the S8?

I feel the X battery is better, i don't seem to be plugging it in as much but i'd say very little in it. I use my 10W iPad charger and it seems to charge the phone as quick as the adaptive charging on the S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

its been failing on me all day so annoying only had phone 24 hours. Love it despite this though

Try turning off Require attention for Face ID in settings>FaceID & Passcode it might help.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Just shopping around looking for the best bill pay deal on this to treat my self.. my last up grade was the 5s years back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Do you wear glasses? I wear them full time, but read online that you should set up FaceID without them. If you do set it up with them, it has trouble when you're not wearing them, but not the other way around for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Just shopping around looking for the best bill pay deal on this to treat my self.. my last up grade was the 5s years back!

3 or Virgin would be the cheapest plans I’ve seen Virgin only do the 64GB.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement