Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Anyone have buyers remorse? Not here. I love my X!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

snowflaker wrote: »

Quick question! Can you change the lockscreen clock? For example is it possible to display a dual clock that displays two different time zones?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

baalad wrote: »
    Quick question! Can you change the lockscreen clock? For example is it possible to display a dual clock that displays two different time zones?

No, you won't get that sort of customisation in iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

My iPhone 6S Plus is giving me static shocks when charging, and the battery is lasting all of 3 hours on it now :(

Much as I despise the fact that Apple seem to programme all of their phones to turn to mush after 2 years, a friend is going to New York in a couple of weeks and has offered to buy me a new one there if I want.

Are there any issues with buying the phone in the US when planning to use it here in Ireland? I'm not locked to any network here anyway. Thanks- sorry if this has been asked before.

baalad wrote: »

you can get apps that display it in widgets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shelga wrote: »
    My iPhone 6S Plus is giving me static shocks when charging, and the battery is lasting all of 3 hours on it now :(

Much as I despise the fact that Apple seem to programme all of their phones to turn to mush after 2 years, a friend is going to New York in a couple of weeks and has offered to buy me a new one there if I want.

Are there any issues with buying the phone in the US when planning to use it here in Ireland? I'm not locked to any network here anyway. Thanks- sorry if this has been asked before.

Always found this to be a myth.

Still have an iPod from 2005 that works fine and I have had iPhones for 3-4 years and the only issue is battery deterioration.

Would also suggest that your static problem could be an earthing issue with the charger or socket as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

snowflaker wrote: »

No but.. I would definitely like the screen to be bigger I do miss the plus size yes I know it is a bigger screen than the plus but I would love for the screen to be bigger.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    No but.. I would definitely like the screen to be bigger I do miss the plus size yes I know it is a bigger screen than the plus but I would love for the screen to be bigger.

I don’t think area wise the X is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the screen is bigger 5.8" vs 5.5" on the plus. What's throwing you off is that it's narrower but much taller than a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The screen on the X is actually smaller than the Plus in usable area. As it’s measured diagonally, the notch will take out a chunk of the screen. It’s also a bit narrower than the 8Plus too so you lose out there. It’s the tiniest bit smaller overall.

Saying that I’ve watched videos showing content displayed on both screens and you lose out a on what looks like a fair bit, video ect seems smaller for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

DubDJ wrote: »
    The screen on the X is actually smaller than the Plus in usable area. As it’s measured diagonally, the notch will take out a chunk of the screen. It’s also a bit narrower than the 8Plus too so you lose out there. It’s the tiniest bit smaller overall.

Saying that I’ve watched videos showing content displayed on both screens and you lose out a on what looks like a fair bit, video ect seems smaller for example.

Nope, still bigger.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/iphone/iphone-8-vs-iphone-x-3664120/
    If you exclude the iPhone X notch (the area at the top of the display that houses the Face ID camera) from that measurement then the screen is more accurately 62mm across x 130mm down (so 8mm longer than the 8 Plus). But it’s still bigger than the iPhone 8 Plus, and given that the handset is itself smaller, that is something to celebrate.

Danbo! wrote: »

It's simple maths, people.

iPhone X screen is 62 x 135mm = 8370mm2
    iPhone X screen minus notch is 62 x 130 = 8060mm2
    iPhone 8 Plus screen is 69 x 122mm = 8418mm2
    iPhone 8 screen is 59 x 105mm = 6195mm2

The 8 plus is a bigger screen, and it's no surprise....it looks bigger, especially when seeing videos playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Basil3 wrote: »

The 8 plus is a bigger screen, and it's no surprise....it looks bigger, especially when seeing videos playing.

And additionally to the surface area being smaller, the aspect ratio of the Plus display is in most cases a better way to make use of that surface compared to the wide ratio of the X (both in portrait and landscape orientation). Aside from watching movies in their original wide format, I can’t think of many situations whereby the very elongated display of the X is better that the standard 9:16 aspect ratio of all other current iPhones, as well as many other phones, TVs, and computer monitors.

It’s still a nice bonus to use almost the whole surface of the phone as a display though.

And on the above one thing surprises me: why is Apple still using a 4/3 aspect ratio for its camera sensors given that APS-C and full frame cameras all use a 2/3 ratio which also happens to both match 35mm film and be more suitable for viewing on Apple’s wider screens.

I really don’t see any advantage for 4/3 which I suspect was originally chosen because it was a perfect match for the displays of iPhones up to the 4S (hence this argument is not valid anymore).

Basil3 wrote: »

oops, sorry DubDJ :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MadYaker wrote: »

Whatever it is it's behind a paywall.

It’s about an investigation into students working overtime in an iPhone X factory.

It’s a complete non story as pretty much every electronic item made in China is made by underaged workers. Im not excusing the issue, but is always Apple who gets named on these stories but they could easily be building Nintendo Switch or Xbox either. There’s a willingness to work on Apple assembly lines as they pay more so people will do anything to work on them even if that means faking their age.

It’s about an investigation into students working overtime in an iPhone X factory.

It’s a complete non story as pretty much every electronic item made in China is made by underaged workers. Im not excusing the issue, but is always Apple who gets named on these stories but they could easily be building Nintendo Switch or Xbox either. There’s a willingness to work on Apple assembly lines as they pay more so people will do anything to work on them even if that means faking their age.

Exactly this.

Work conditions in those factories are bad there is not fixing excuse for them.

But the media obsession with Apple in spite of them being one of the better companies as far as subcontractor employees treatment is concerned is a bit troubling.

Not only they go for one of the most gentle offender and ignore much worst things, but they also fail to ask the real hard questions around why is it the de facto practise for most Asian made products on sale here and is it acceptable.

It’s more a click grabbing exercise than a real willingness by journalist to report on those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Up to a few years ago anyway Apple were only paying 2 dollars an hour to workers making iphones in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jcomm114

Trying to decide between the 64gb and the 256gb. Reading online, most reviews say that with the 4K videos etc that you'd have to go with the 256GB. But looking at my 6 at the moment I've only used 20 gb of memory, mainly photos and some videos. Has anyone gone with the 64gb, and do you think it is easy enough to get by with, or will you be constantly deleting stuff to make room? Thanks

Jcomm114 wrote: »
    Trying to decide between the 64gb and the 256gb. Reading online, most reviews say that with the 4K videos etc that you'd have to go with the 256GB. But looking at my 6 at the moment I've only used 20 gb of memory, mainly photos and some videos. Has anyone gone with the 64gb, and do you think it is easy enough to get by with, or will you be constantly deleting stuff to make room? Thanks

Had a 128gb iPhone 7+, but went with the 64gb X due to €€€. I only used about 30gb of space on the 7+. With things like Spotify, Dropbox, etc, the space doesn't fill up as quick as back in the day when you'd sync music onto the device and have all your photos on it. At least for me. Apps are getting bigger and I only got the 128gb 7+ to 'future proof' but in reality I was nowhere near filling it, even without deleting old photos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Up to a few years ago anyway Apple were only paying 2 dollars an hour to workers making iphones in China.

Untrue. Apple don’t pay the workers, the firms they engage with do. Apple contract with a manufacturing company. Apple should be holding their suppliers to the high standards they’d expect in the US.

But it’s not just Apple. Most multinationals are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

Jcomm114 wrote: »

I got the 64gb which is enough for me coming from a 16gb 5s... I would personally never us up 256gb

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Apple, Amazon, Blackberry, Dell, HP, Google, Microsoft to name but a few of the major brands that use Foxconn to make there products

Foxconn pay the wages of the workers not brands.

Should these brands hold Foxconn to a better standard of course they should, Should we hold the brand to better account of course we should but we the customer want these items made by Foxconn so maybe we should hold ourselves to a higher account first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What is the average salary for manufacturing jobs in China ? How’s does $2 per hour compare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What is the average salary for manufacturing jobs in China ? How’s does $2 per hour compare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

faceman wrote: »
    Untrue. Apple don’t pay the workers, the firms they engage with do. Apple contract with a manufacturing company. Apple should be holding their suppliers to the high standards they’d expect in the US.

But it’s not just Apple. Most multinationals are the same.

Maybe it's not Apple paying them but i know for a fact that was all they were getting making the phones. Someone high up in Apple told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Anyone figured out how to access the flashlight from the lock screen. The shortcut button is there but cant seem to figure out how to access it !

• Advertisement

s8n wrote: »
    Anyone figured out how to access the flashlight from the lock screen. The shortcut button is there but cant seem to figure out how to access it !
    3d touch.

Advertisement