Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

3d touch.

You Da Man - Much appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

3d touch.

Thanks so much, I had been swiping away at that for the last 2.5 weeks and nothing was happening. Any other tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

digiman wrote: »
    Thanks so much, I had been swiping away at that for the last 2.5 weeks and nothing was happening. Any other tips?

Don’t drop and break the phone :)

Being real, one thing I’ve noticed though, to bring up the multitask switcher for apps you don’t have to swipe up and hold for long, swipe up and just pause for a second and it brings up all your open apps. I was initially stopping for a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Maybe it's not Apple paying them but i know for a fact that was all they were getting making the phones. Someone high up in Apple told me.

Sorry but I'm going call bull**** on this one.

1. Define high up?
    2. Apple has a culture of secrecy, people get fired if visitors to the campus under their watch steps out of line or even takes a photo of a hallway (or vlog an unreleased product).
    3. Why would this high up person risk their job telling you how much the workers on their factory lines get paid.
    4. What would be to gain from them telling you this?

Tbh I would have taken it as fact if you had posted a blog post from macrumors or 9to5mac (even if they're not exactly always factual) stating it, what you've stated is hardly fact.

1. Define high up?
    2. Apple has a culture of secrecy, people get fired if visitors to the campus under their watch steps out of line or even takes a photo of a hallway (or vlog an unreleased product).
    3. Why would this high up person risk their job telling you how much the workers on their factory lines get paid.

Tbh I would have taken it as fact if you had posted a blog post from macrumors or 9to5mac (even if they're not exactly always factual) stating it, what you've stated is hardly fact.

I’d definately agree with this, I always have trouble believing people who claim insider knowledge, especially in Ireland where Apple only holds what is mostly only customer services. No major decisions would be made in Ireland.

With that in mind though, I can’t imagine the average daily rate of a Foxcon worker could be that big of a secret. E.g. this article from 2012 in the NYT that mentions the rate of $17 a day. Still really low but not as bad as $2.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/economix/2012/02/24/the-ieconomy-how-much-do-foxconn-workers-make/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    Don’t drop and break the phone :)

Being real, one thing I’ve noticed though, to bring up the multitask switcher for apps you don’t have to swipe up and hold for long, swipe up and just pause for a second and it brings up all your open apps. I was initially stopping for a lot longer.

An even quicker way is to swipe up and immediately to the right. No pausing needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FourFourFM wrote: »
    An even quicker way is to swipe up and immediately to the right. No pausing needed.

Another way which is ever quicker than this! Just swipe right at the very bottom of the screen.

faceman wrote: »
    Another way which is ever quicker than this! Just swipe right at the very bottom of the screen.
    Is that the switch between apps swipe you're talking about or something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

From bottom right or left edges, swipe up to at 45 degrees towards the middle. Works everytime for carousel pages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

1. Define high up?

LOL i'm not going to explain myself to you or anyone on this thread but i know for a fact what i heard was the truth and i'm usually a sceptical person.( This was approx 6-7 years ago so figures may be different now.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

LOL i'm not going to explain myself to you or anyone on this thread but i know for a fact what i heard was the truth and i'm usually a sceptical person.( This was approx 6-7 years ago so figures may be different now.)

May be different?

The Chinese average manufacturing wage doubled from 2010 to 2016, so yeah even if the figure was accurate at the time it would tell nothing about today's situation.

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/wages-in-manufacturing

And even assuming your contact got an accurate figure from someone in Apple manufacturing at some point in time, if he overlooked the fact that these figures increased *greatly* each year there could be an even larger gap (if the figure was let’s say 4 years old when he gave it to you, then it could easily have tripled today).

So yeah I’m also siding to say it’s either BS or irrelevant to today’s situation because we don't know when it was accurate.

Having said that, clearly there is something wrong with the way many Chinese workers are treated and it is a very dark side of globalisation, but there is nothing specific to Apple. And it is a very complex issue as while I think working 60 hours a week and living in dirty dorm were you share a room with 5 or 10 other people for a salary which barely lets you support a very modest family is definitely unacceptable, the fact is that for some migrant workers this is actually improving the life conditions and future opportunities for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bob24 wrote: »
    So yeah I’m also siding to say it’s either BS or irrelevant to today’s situation because we done know when it was accurate.

It's not BS, he stated fact and that told me!

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Salary inflation in China has been huge in the last few years, averaging 10% per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I watched a video today where a guy unlocked his X but he was pointing it at a mirror. I just tried it joe and it worked :eek: how is that possible? :confused:

mad muffin wrote: »
    I watched a video today where a guy unlocked his X but he was pointing it at a mirror. I just tried it joe and it worked :eek: how is that possible? :confused:

Seems strange but I supposed if things are well aligned the IR dots could get reflected by the mirror and be projected on his face for Face ID to work.

You have a link to the video? Silly question but the camera he's pointing at the mirror is the front facing one right? (not the back facing and it's actually the front facing one recognising him?)

Seems strange but I supposed if things are well aligned the IR dots could get reflected by the mirror and be projected on his face for Face ID to work.

You have a link to the video? Silly question but the camera he's pointing at the mirror is the front facing one right? (not the back facing and it's actually the front facing one recognising him?)

I tried it myself in a full length mirror. Pointing the Face ID at the mirror not my face. So it used my reflection in the mirror. I thought Face ID need a 3D map of my face?

Here’s the video. I’m thinking most of it is BS but the mirror unlock worked.

I don't even want to click that video and give it a view because of the overboard click-bait title and thumbnail. And your mans face as well :D Hate these videos, Apple devices seem to attract videos like these.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I don't even want to click that video and give it a view because of the overboard click-bait title and thumbnail. And your mans face as well :D Hate these videos, Apple devices seem to attract videos like these.

I know what you mean lol. Still unlocking the X in the mirror worked.

I tried it myself in a full length mirror. Pointing the Face ID at the mirror not my face. So it used my reflection in the mirror. I thought Face ID need a 3D map of my face?

Here’s the video. I’m thinking most of it is BS but the mirror unlock worked.

I *think* it might be that the IR dots are reflected by the mirror and still get projected on you face. i.e. the camera still sees them and is still able to feed the data to the neural network to build the 3D map.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

The fact face id worked in the mirror surely means apple lied about the technology? Theres a video of a fake iphone x online that has face id also and it works faster then the real iphone x and only costs like 200 bucks ha

• Advertisement

baalad wrote: »
    The fact face id worked in the mirror surely means apple lied about the technology?

Lied on which point?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

The fact face id worked in the mirror surely means apple lied about the technology?

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

The fact face id worked in the mirror surely means apple lied about the technology? Theres a video of a fake iphone x online that has face id also and it works faster then the real iphone x and only costs like 200 bucks ha

Buy 10 so!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Supes1

Might sound like a stupid question guys but
    I'm getting the new iPhone X and was wondering is there anyway I can save my games progress without having to connect up to a pc or an iPad
    Surely there's an easy way to save my progress as I don't want to go all the way back to the start

Supes1 wrote: »
    I'm getting the new iPhone X and was wondering is there anyway I can save my games progress without having to connect up to a pc or an iPad
    Surely there's an easy way to save my progress as I don't want to go all the way back to the start
    If the games offer iCloud sync you should be good to go. But otherwise I think you have to backup.

May be different?

The Chinese average manufacturing wage doubled from 2010 to 2016, so yeah even if the figure was accurate at the time it would tell nothing about today's situation.

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/wages-in-manufacturing

And even assuming your contact got an accurate figure from someone in Apple manufacturing at some point in time, if he overlooked the fact that these figures increased *greatly* each year there could be an even larger gap (if the figure was let’s say 4 years old when he gave it to you, then it could easily have tripled today).

So yeah I’m also siding to say it’s either BS or irrelevant to today’s situation because we don't know when it was accurate.

Having said that, clearly there is something wrong with the way many Chinese workers are treated and it is a very dark side of globalisation, but there is nothing specific to Apple. And it is a very complex issue as while I think working 60 hours a week and living in dirty dorm were you share a room with 5 or 10 other people for a salary which barely lets you support a very modest family is definitely unacceptable, the fact is that for some migrant workers this is actually improving the life conditions and future opportunities for their children.

Yes i meant different that their pay rates maybe higher now than from 7 ish years ago when i was told the low end workers were getting that awful rate.

Can’t get my Face ID to work in the mirror, i’m running 11.2 maybe they fixed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Supes1 wrote: »

Aren't you overlooking a certain new phone out if your into gaming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I know what you mean lol. Still unlocking the X in the mirror worked.

You must have a symmetrical face.

• Advertisement

Can’t get my Face ID to work in the mirror, i’m running 11.2 maybe they fixed it?

I don’t know I’m not on the beta.

You must have a symmetrical face.

According to macrumours it’s working as Ita should reading your face off a mirror.

Advertisement