Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Well yeah it should read your face through a mirror. It will still be able to project the dots and scan them with infrared. They will be mirrored as will your face. It will still sense the depth too.

Well yeah it should read your face through a mirror. It will still be able to project the dots and scan them with infrared. They will be mirrored as will your face. It will still sense the depth too.

Surely it's scanning the depth of a complete reverse of your face, so how does it know to flip it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Basil3 wrote: »
    Surely it's scanning the depth of a complete reverse of your face, so how does it know to flip it?

It’s not though, although the mirror will reverse your reflection, if you bounce a laser off it then it will just reflect and bounce back. It won’t distort the laser in any way. It’s like two people kicking a football against a wall at a 45 degree angle, the ball will hit the wall and bounce back at the exact same angle to the other person.

That’s how I see the mirror thing working. The IR is still scanning your face the same as if it were looking straight on. It’s just bouncing off the mirror first.

Ever shine a light or a laser through a mirror and look at where it ends up? Same kinda thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anyone install 11.1.2 on their X and run in to issues like the people are having on ip8 and ip7?

Just installing here, but if i run in to issues i'll cry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mirror thing doesn’t work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone install 11.1.2 on their X and run in to issues like the people are having on ip8 and ip7?

Installed it last week, Friday maybe? No issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Had a look at the X yesterday and it looks pretty sweet.

Ever shine a light or a laser through a mirror and look at where it ends up? Same kinda thing.

It still makes no sense to me, I must be dumb.

If your phone is facing you and it scans to the right of centre, it's scanning the left side of your face. Do it in a mirror, and when it scans right it's bouncing off the mirror and scanning the right side of your face.

My guess is it's saying 'yeah, close enough' and doesn't actually know it's a reverse of you in a mirror. The same reason it doesn't differentiate between twins.

If your phone is facing you and it scans to the right of centre, it's scanning the left side of your face. Do it in a mirror, and when it scans right it's bouncing off the mirror and scanning the right side of your face.

My guess is it's saying 'yeah, close enough' and doesn't actually know it's a reverse of you in a mirror. The same reason it doesn't differentiate between twins.

When you see your face in the mirror, you're seeing how the light reflects off the mirror. The dot projections are reflected back in the same way. They're flipped, because they're going into the mirror and reflecting back, same as your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

eeloe wrote: »

Been running 11.2 for a while no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

When you see your face in the mirror, you're seeing how the light reflects off the mirror. The dot projections are reflected back in the same way. They're flipped, because they're going into the mirror and reflecting back, same as your face.

Yes they are flipped so the sensor is seeing a flipped face.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Something i did not know about the iphone x is that it seemingly comes with 3 different model numbers? The two i give in the title are allegedly the two main models. Obviously i did a quick google search and essentially learned that one has a qualcom chip while the other has intel. Seemingly the Qualcom chip is superior but iam at a loss as to why one would have an inferior chip and what does this actually mean with regards user experience?

The company i generally order from list the iphone x as the A1901 model which has the intel chip. Iam wondering what am i missing out on by not having the Qualcom chip?

Can anyone explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

baalad wrote: »
    Something i did not know about the iphone x is that it seemingly comes with 3 different model numbers? The two i give in the title are allegedly the two main models. Obviously i did a quick google search and essentially learned that one has a qualcom chip while the other has intel. Seemingly the Qualcom chip is superior but iam at a loss as to why one would have an inferior chip and what does this actually mean with regards user experience?

The company i generally order from list the iphone x as the A1901 model which has the intel chip. Iam wondering what am i missing out on by not having the Qualcom chip?

Can anyone explain?

If your on holidays in the states and need to fall back to data on a CDMA network you won't be able to with the intel chip.
    Your missing nothing you'll ever notice.

If your on holidays in the states and need to fall back to data on a CDMA network you won't be able to with the intel chip.
    Your missing nothing you'll ever notice.

According to a few reports online the model with the intel chip is having issues with "LTE dropout" but i have no idea if thats specific to the united states or what

According to a few reports online the model with the intel chip is having issues with "LTE dropout" but i have no idea if thats specific to the united states or what

Or specific to the idiot using it, I wouldn't listen to noise on the internet..there's nothing wrong with your phone! (besides a bit of the screen missing)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Always been that way for iphones different models. Some of the USA networks work on a different frequency than the rest of the world so hence the wider spectrum Qualcomm modem, but you won't miss it. You can buy that version sim free in the USA if you want bragging rights..

Interestingly Japan has a different model again, the camera has a mandatory sound when you take photo's you can't mute the shutter sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Can anyone explain?

See the different models here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-X

The model number doesn't necessarily mean its tight to a certain chip. It is about the speech of the device and specifically which freaky bands it supports (if both intel and qualcom produce chips which cover their requirements for a model number, Apple could use both suppliers for that particular model and it won't be straight forward to know which one you have).

But in short ... A1901 is what you want if you are going to use it in Europe as it is the model which supports all European bands.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Interestingly Japan has a different model again, the camera has a mandatory sound when you take photo's you can't mute the shutter sound.

I think Japan has its own model because Apple wants to support a very popular contactless payment technology there (FeliCa) which is used in most public transports, and which requires the inclusion of a dedicated chip.

It would be like the phone having a dedicated chip so that it could act as a Leap Card, but with more functionality that our Leap Card and with almost universal support across all public transport in a country of 120 millions with one of the denser public transport network in the world. i.e. a pretty nice feature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Qualcomm all the way! Although as a company they have some challenges ahead.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Qualcomm all the way! Although as a company they have some challenges ahead.

Why do you say that? Hasn't it just been said that there's no use for Qualcomm here in Ireland?

Why do you say that? Hasn't it just been said that there's no use for Qualcomm here in Ireland?

I’m more so referring to their tech. :)

That particular modem in the iPhone X is of no benefit but is necessary to work on some american networks, Qualcomm Snapdragon processors are is inside most phones on sale here, your iPhone X has an apple bionic chip, everyone else has snapdragon chips, Samsung's etc.

My guess is it's saying 'yeah, close enough' and doesn't actually know it's a reverse of you in a mirror.

Yeah I also think that’s what happens. Most people would have a fairly symmetrical face. Even if the person has a fairly prominent mole or something on one side of their face, since the system is built to be tolerant to small localised changes of appearance (so that for exemple a light injury doesn’t prevent it from working), Face ID will likely notice the difference on the mirrored image but ignore it as it fits its tolerance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

After one day with the X I’m absolutely loving it. Perfect size, plenty of screen real estate and keyboard is great for my stubby fingers. face ID is really handy.

But the absolute standout is the camera: portrait mode is producing stunning depth of field separation in seconds whereas it takes me a while to setup and get the perfect shot on my DSLR to achieve similar results. Whereas I get lazy and don’t use the dslr often enough, and yes the iphone pics arent 100% as good, but dang they are close enough that I’m regarding the phone as worth it even just for having that power in my pocket at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

After one day with the X I’m absolutely loving it. Perfect size, plenty of screen real estate and keyboard is great for my stubby fingers. face ID is really handy.

But the absolute standout is the camera: portrait mode is producing stunning depth of field separation in seconds whereas it takes me a while to setup and get the perfect shot on my DSLR to achieve similar results. Whereas I get lazy and don’t use the dslr often enough, and yes the iphone pics arent 100% as good, but dang they are close enough that I’m regarding the phone as worth it even just for having that power in my pocket at all times.

Agreed, I have had mine for 3 weeks now.
    • Screen - size, clarity, colour. (Some apps need updating for sure). Makes Netflix/YT a joy to watch. I love the live wallpapers that came with ios 11.2. Even the explore tab on Instagram looks nice scrolling full screen.
    • Camera - Crisp. Love shooting at night. Portrait mode is nice., I don't get the studio lighting for portrait mode at all tho. Photos look ridiculous.
    • Sound - the speakers are much more powerful.
    • Speed - its snappy and fast.
    • New home button - the flick up is more fluid and faster.
    • FaceID - Much faster. didnt think id like apple pay this way but it works. I also like how it hides notification content (Whatsapp messages until it detects your face/gaze, hides dating app notifications until it detects my face - handy!) I do feel however that FaceID could attempt a few more times to unlock with face before offering passcode.
    • Wireless charging is nice - but slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm not entirely happy with the camera. The portrait mode is nice and overall it's an improvement on the 6s I had, but when you zoom in to photos it really shows its limits. There is a noticeable lack of detail at 100% size with noise and lack of clarity, and smudgyness. I like to take landscape shots and often save them as my desktop background, but at full size on a monitor they really don't have the clarity I need. I guess most people wouldn't notice as most would just view photos on a phone screen where you can't notice these things. I come from having used a dedicated DSLR for similar shots in the past - we're still nowhere near that kind of clarity (even from my 13 year old 6MP model).

For me it just proves that genuine photo quality is not about sensors or image processing, but good lenses and large apertures. I'd love to see a future iPhone with a larger camera lens (think double or triple the current size, on par with good point-and-shoots). Apple isn't alone here, other phone cameras are just the same. The cameras are just too small.

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm not entirely happy with the camera. The portrait mode is nice and overall it's an improvement on the 6s I had, but when you zoom in to photos it really shows its limits. There is a noticeable lack of detail at 100% size with noise and lack of clarity, and smudgyness. I like to take landscape shots and often save them as my desktop background, but at full size on a monitor they really don't have the clarity I need. I guess most people wouldn't notice as most would just view photos on a phone screen where you can't notice these things. I come from having used a dedicated DSLR for similar shots in the past - we're still nowhere near that kind of clarity (even from my 13 year old 6MP model).

For me it just proves that genuine photo quality is not about sensors or image processing, but good lenses and large apertures. I'd love to see a future iPhone with a larger camera lens (think double or triple the current size, on par with good point-and-shoots). Apple isn't alone here, other phone cameras are just the same. The cameras are just too small.

Yes the camera os good *for a phone* but of course picture quality is nowhere near a nice camera with a good lens.

This (plus the fact that a phone doesn't feel like a proper camera in terms of ergonomics) is why DSLRs and hight end ILCs/compacts are still selling OK. I love my 4 year old Sony RX1R and there is no way any smartphone (now or in 5 years) will compare with its full frame sensor and top quality Zeiss F2 lens.

Cheap and mid-range compact cameras are dying though because the gap with smartphones is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone finding the stainless steel borders on the silver version pick up nicks very easily ?  
    To be expected with stainless steel and it least it polishes out.  Kind of annoying though when you keep the thing in a case and you find it scratched when you take the phone out to clean out any gunk that might have got behind it.
    A friend has the space grey and his has scratched also, but no way to polish it out as it's not bare metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Flaccus wrote: »
    Anyone finding the stainless steel borders on the silver version pick up nicks very easily ?  
    To be expected with stainless steel and it least it polishes out.  Kind of annoying though when you keep the thing in a case and you find it scratched when you take the phone out to clean out any gunk that might have got behind it.
    A friend has the space grey and his has scratched also, but no way to polish it out as it's not bare metal.
    I have 3 small scratches side by side on the top of the phone can not for the life figure how I got the like yourself it’s always in the case.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement