Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Flaccus wrote: »
    Anyone finding the stainless steel borders on the silver version pick up nicks very easily ?  
    To be expected with stainless steel and it least it polishes out.  Kind of annoying though when you keep the thing in a case and you find it scratched when you take the phone out to clean out any gunk that might have got behind it.
    A friend has the space grey and his has scratched also, but no way to polish it out as it's not bare metal.
    I have 3 small scratches side by side on the top of the phone can not for the life figure how I got the like yourself it’s always in the case.

Some small dust particles probably got inside between the phone and the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Does anyone phone constantly automatically turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It’s starting to annoy me now cause I turn them off to save battery but the phone keeps turning them on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah the WiFi and Bluetooth only really turns off when you do it via settings. The quick option only disconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

adam88 wrote: »
    Does anyone phone constantly automatically turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It’s starting to annoy me now cause I turn them off to save battery but the phone keeps turning them on

Yeah the WiFi and Bluetooth only really turns off when you do it via settings. The quick option only disconnects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

You remin connected to Apple Watch etc following the soft disconnect on the widget screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

^It's a 'feature' if you disconnect using control centre then the phone will turn them back on every morning at 5am. You have to turn off the radios in the settings app if you want them to be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Think there was a lawsuit recently against apple on how misleading it was - quite crap but you just live with it until they fix it. I think you could set up that Whenthishappensdothis app (or whatever it is called) to turn off the wifi

On a separate note: love the X - got used to it and despite initially thinking that there is no difference between 7 plus and X (quality wise) somehow I can see it now :rolleyes:

Battery is okay but with a smartwatch constantly connected i need to charge it daily so slightly worse than the plus. Would also be nice if all apps were updated to the full screen size: especially Skype

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The WiFi and Bluetooth toggles behavior aren’t a bug, it’s the intended method now for toggling WiFi and Bluetooth on and off.

So basically doing it through the Control Center only disconnects them temporarily. If you want to permanently disable them then you do so through the settings.

The iOS 11.2 beta will address the confusion and show a dialogue box explaining exactly what the Control Centre toggles actually do now.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The WiFi and Bluetooth toggles behavior aren’t a bug, it’s the intended method now for toggling WiFi and Bluetooth on and off.

So basically doing it through the Control Center only disconnects them temporarily. If you want to permanently disable them then you do so through the settings.

The iOS 11.2 beta will address the confusion and show a dialogue box explaining exactly what the Control Centre toggles actually do now.

It actually kind of makes sense as control centre is intended for a quick and probably temporary change. But it is indeed very poorly explained.

Also while it is usefull the fact that pressing airplane mode on control centre doesn’t disconnect Bluetooth headphones will confuse some people who will think it doesn’t work as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I quite like the new CC wifi and bluetooth controls. Fits my use case much better than before. I'm probably an outlier though.

• Advertisement

I'm probably an outlier though.

I’m not sure. Many people would use CC to temporality disable the features.

And arguably someone who wants to permanently disable it doesn’t need it in control centre as it is a once off thing and digging into the settings for that one time is not much of a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I have 3 small scratches side by side on the top of the phone can not for the life figure how I got the like yourself it’s always in the case.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

adam88 wrote: »

I really wonder how much battery you are saving by switching them off.

When they are not being used I think there would be minimal battery drain.

I don't like the idea of having a smartphone that requires lots of things to be switched on and off.

That probably causes more battery drain than just leaving them disconnected,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really wonder how much battery you are saving by switching them off.

When they are not being used I think there would be minimal battery drain.

I don't like the idea of having a smartphone that requires lots of things to be switched on and off.

That probably causes more battery drain than just leaving them disconnected,

They aren’t just sitting around. The software tests for connectivity. Certainly turning off a 3G chip saves battery.

Of course turning these things off saves battery....I refuse to turn my smartphone into a dumb phone, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They aren’t just sitting around. The software tests for connectivity. Certainly turning off a 3G chip saves battery.

Yes but how much does it really save?

I just hate the idea of losing all that functionality that makes a smartphone smart.

What's the point in having a phone without 3g/4g connectivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »

I just hate the idea of losing all that functionality that makes a smartphone smart.

What's the point in having a phone without 3g/4g connectivity?

Totally agree, at the lengths some people go to they'd be better off buying a Nokia 3210 and an iPod Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I never understand how people can micro-manage battery life on smart phones. I’ve basically everything turned on all the time. Bluetooth, WiFi, background app refresh, push for emails etc. I use auto settings for brightness and nightshift too.

I know everybody tells you to turn off background app refresh to save battery but I think the savings would be insignificant. I can leave my phone for two hours+ and come back with only a tiny amount of battery lost while on standby. It’s one big strength of iPhones, and battery only drops significantly for me while using games etc.

I also have 2 Bluetooth devices connected at all time and a spotty 3G/4G connection when downstairs but I still get all day battery life.

I’ve read here of people who disable wifi, Bluetooth etc throughout the day or going to bed at night, sometimes people who power off the phone at night. I never understood it at all, or what kind of battery savings they’re expecting.

The only thing I'd say about background app refresh, If you absolutely have to have the Facebook app installed (you shouldn't different story though) then turn off background app refresh for Facebook.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The only thing I'd say about background app refresh, If you absolutely have to have the Facebook app installed (you shouldn't different story though) then turn off background app refresh for Facebook.

Can I ask why?
    Genuinely asking. I’ve just turned it off there anyway awaiting your answer.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

DubDJ wrote: »

It’s one big strength of iPhones,

My s8 is the same now, technology is fantastic these days, regardless of brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Buy a new iPhone every year
    Bought the X 256gb as an upgrade to 7plus 128gb

Sent it back to Apple today !!

Face Id worked most of the time , but when it didn’t it ment inputting pass code
    Yellow hue was ugly even after Color resetting I missed the whites from the 7
    Screen was a bigger issue than I thought ,
    Haven’t given up totally on a X
    Rumours of a an X plus early next would make me reconsider ....

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Probably wrong place to ask, but has anyone gotten a refund on Apple care +? What's the craic with VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

cramp wrote: »

Face Id worked most of the time , but when it didn’t it ment inputting pass code

Yeah I hate the iPhone X too. But for an entirely different reason. Other iDevices pale in comparison to it.

I look at my iPad Air 2 screen and can’t believe how blue it is. Also when I pick up my old 7 that my wife uses now it too is way too blue.

Then there’s the tap to wake. I keep taping the other ones forgetting they don’t do that. The swiping gestures are now in my muscle memory and I keep swiping at my iPad forgetting I need to press the home button.

Face ID makes passwords disappear into the background. Screen notification reveal is also something I miss on the iPad.

Everything is just a superior experience on the X for me.

Oh, and I love inductive charging. I’ve never plugged the cable into my X.

Also. I’ve never had an issue with Face ID. If it fails it’s probably because I had my hand on my face or had the phone at some angle. I input the password, and next time it will recognise me if it’s at an off angle or part of my face is obscure.

I did a little experiment. I place a finger under my nose emulating a moustache type gesture. Face ID put up the password screen. I input the password. Me time I did that Face ID recognised me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I’m loving everything, accept Face ID!

It’s driving me potty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

kceire wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

Thanks.

It was misbehaving. As was YouTube until recently. You can see this in usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

They will hardly bring out another new iPhone early next year if that is what the rumours suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Probably wrong place to ask, but has anyone gotten a refund on Apple care +? What's the craic with VAT?

Apple care+ is VAT exempt not to sure why but it’s shown as 0 on my invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Bob24 wrote: »
    Some small dust particles probably got inside between the phone and the case.

It’s a strange one they look like someone had a go with a knife on the phone

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

Thanks.

of course you can :D, as server down mentioned below it misbehaves. It's a bad iOS app citizen but they get away with it just like Uber, Apple can't afford to not have Facebook/Uber etc. on their app store.
    It was misbehaving. As was YouTube until recently. You can see this in usage.

Here's a few things that they've done in the past that made me question having the app installed (and if I do have it installed it gets only cellular access).

1. It was a massive battery hog, it was abusing background app refresh to not update your news feed but to phone back home to Facebook with a whole heap of info that it shouldn't need, lat/long, accelerometer data etc.

2. When they were found out by a developer, who then turned off background app refresh, he saw that they requested the permission to play music in the background (this isn't a normal prompt like the location prompts) but it allows Facebook to be constantly running in the background, even outside the limits that Apple place on background app refresh.

3. This next one feels tin-foil hat-ish, but facebook defintiely uses iOS devices as iBeacons to figure out who and what is around you. Ever walk into a crowded bar (admittedly this happens more in cities like NYC where businesses use FB ads more than in Dublin) and then the next 6 hours or the day after you have ads for that place?

Their platform is being used to also spread hate and fake news and they absolutely couldn't be arsed to do anything about it. I'd love to delete the app and my account but however like most of ye, we all have those family members that think Facebook is the Internet and they see it as the only way to contact you.

Don't get me wrong though, they aren't alone in doing this, and I still use their product I just try and contain the amount of stuff they collect off me. The best way to do that is to visit Facebook.com in Safari.

Advertisement