Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

of course you can :D, as server down mentioned below it misbehaves. It's a bad iOS app citizen but they get away with it just like Uber, Apple can't afford to not have Facebook/Uber etc. on their app store.

Here's a few things that they've done in the past that made me question having the app installed (and if I do have it installed it gets only cellular access).

1. It was a massive battery hog, it was abusing background app refresh to not update your news feed but to phone back home to Facebook with a whole heap of info that it shouldn't need, lat/long, accelerometer data etc.

2. When they were found out by a developer, who then turned off background app refresh, he saw that they requested the permission to play music in the background (this isn't a normal prompt like the location prompts) but it allows Facebook to be constantly running in the background, even outside the limits that Apple place on background app refresh.

3. This next one feels tin-foil hat-ish, but facebook defintiely uses iOS devices as iBeacons to figure out who and what is around you. Ever walk into a crowded bar (admittedly this happens more in cities like NYC where businesses use FB ads more than in Dublin) and then the next 6 hours or the day after you have ads for that place?

Their platform is being used to also spread hate and fake news and they absolutely couldn't be arsed to do anything about it. I'd love to delete the app and my account but however like most of ye, we all have those family members that think Facebook is the Internet and they see it as the only way to contact you.

Don't get me wrong though, they aren't alone in doing this, and I still use their product I just try and contain the amount of stuff they collect off me. The best way to do that is to visit Facebook.com in Safari.

Spot on with point 3 that’s always the case I don’t have the app installed myself I always use FB via safari.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

on point 3, theres a class action suit in the UK - this one for Google.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/30/google-could-forced-pay-27-billion-compensation-iphone-users/

And that's just google. FB are up to something too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

of course you can :D, as server down mentioned below it misbehaves. It's a bad iOS app citizen but they get away with it just like Uber, Apple can't afford to not have Facebook/Uber etc. on their app store.

Here's a few things that they've done in the past that made me question having the app installed (and if I do have it installed it gets only cellular access).

1. It was a massive battery hog, it was abusing background app refresh to not update your news feed but to phone back home to Facebook with a whole heap of info that it shouldn't need, lat/long, accelerometer data etc.

2. When they were found out by a developer, who then turned off background app refresh, he saw that they requested the permission to play music in the background (this isn't a normal prompt like the location prompts) but it allows Facebook to be constantly running in the background, even outside the limits that Apple place on background app refresh.

3. This next one feels tin-foil hat-ish, but facebook defintiely uses iOS devices as iBeacons to figure out who and what is around you. Ever walk into a crowded bar (admittedly this happens more in cities like NYC where businesses use FB ads more than in Dublin) and then the next 6 hours or the day after you have ads for that place?

Their platform is being used to also spread hate and fake news and they absolutely couldn't be arsed to do anything about it. I'd love to delete the app and my account but however like most of ye, we all have those family members that think Facebook is the Internet and they see it as the only way to contact you.

Don't get me wrong though, they aren't alone in doing this, and I still use their product I just try and contain the amount of stuff they collect off me. The best way to do that is to visit Facebook.com in Safari.

Cheers. I shall leave it off then. I’m doing the same for Mrs. Kceire too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It is odd that Apple missed the music permission request, which has to be added to a property list. This should be easy to verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I have 3 small scratches side by side on the top of the phone can not for the life figure how I got the like yourself it’s always in the case.

:)

It's stainless steel and it's polished. The official apple leather case scratches it on the corners when removing the case. In fact any case with a tight fit will. The spigen rugged armor extra doesn't though luckily mother's mag and aluminium polish from Amazon sorts it in under 2 minutes. Just make sure to tape the bottom ports and glass edges first. Glad I went for the silver as the space grey can't be polished and while it hides scratches somewhat, once you get them they are there to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Redo91 wrote: »
    They will hardly bring out another new iPhone early next year if that is what the rumours suggest.

Why not? I can’t see it being within he next ten months but it’s a separate product and the plus has lost all steam as regards sales. It’s an obvious move for them to replace it with an x style plus sized phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm an avid iphone person ever since the first phone and I have TBH the new iphone sucks. Had it for a few days and maybe it's me but I hate that black bezel at the top, the swipe gestures are a joke especially in landscape mode and you can't even get a battery percentage. Sent it back and I'm glad I kept my iphone 6s as it's a way better for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

200motels wrote: »
    I'm an avid iphone person ever since the first phone and I have TBH the new iphone sucks. Had it for a few days and maybe it's me but I hate that black bezel at the top, the swipe gestures are a joke especially in landscape mode and you can't even get a battery percentage. Sent it back and I'm glad I kept my iphone 6s as it's a way better for me at least.
    While I would disagree with you on a number of the issues you highlight, they are your issues, so perfectly valid. The X probably isn’t for everyone, no matter how much it works for a lot of people.

I do notice the bezel but it doesn’t really bother me. The swipe gestures are second nature at this stage. The battery % looks like it should be able to replace the icon if Apple want to give the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I’m using X gestures now on my parents’ iPad! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

snowflaker wrote: »

Apple actually needs to bring more consistency back to there UI across devices.

I suspect the next iPads will become more like the X, except maybe for ForceTouch (which I think they should never have introduced on the phone if they didn’t intend to bring it to the iPad and i though they would, but now I am not sure anymore).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

snowflaker wrote: »

I haven’t used he home button on my iPad mini 2 in about two years. The multi finger gestures were great from iOS 7 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

200motels wrote: »

This is why Apple released the 8 as well as the X. For people like you, who don’t like change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

For those with the latest 11.2 update, anybody getting extra strong taptic feedback when dismissing the Cobtrol Centre overlay?

When I pull it down, and swipe it away from the very bottom edge (home indicator) the Taptic feedback seems a bit strong and even has a bit of a click sound for me. Bit annoying.

DubDJ wrote: »
    For those with the latest 11.2 update, anybody getting extra strong taptic feedback when dismissing the Cobtrol Centre overlay?

When I pull it down, and swipe it away from the very bottom edge (home indicator) the Taptic feedback seems a bit strong and even has a bit of a click sound for me. Bit annoying.

Not for me. It’s the same as before. But if you dismiss it by swiping from the middle of the screen there is no feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

DubDJ wrote: »

Just tried it I’m getting it very strong sounds more like a click.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I’ve been playing with it for a while now. At times I can get it to be strong and it sounds like a knock. Other tones it’s like it was, a soft haptic feed back. And other times I get no haptic feedback at all. Looks like they introduced another bug?

Yeah it was definitely introduced with the 11.2 update as I always dismiss CC from the very bottom edge of the screen instead of just the middle below the icons and never got such a prominent haptic bump. I’m hoping it’s just a bug and not intended as it does feel a bit like the phone is clicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I couldn’t get any feedback at all, then turned off mute (my phone is for the most part permanently muted) and I can hear it now. It’s definitely audio feedback, at least on mine, and only when you swipe from bottom. Odd to use audio and not Taptic.

Edit: when trying it a few more times there is Taptic feedback but only when not muted. Very difficult to discern if Taptic only tho. Still odd to remove when muted, tho could be a bug.

It’s even worse with reachability.

Even weirder still, I wanted to check if any sound was coming from the speakers and covering the top speaker actually disables the haptic feedback altogether.

But only for control center. As mentioned above the same haptic sound is present for the reachability but covering the speaker doesn’t stop the haptics with that.

I’d imagine it’s more to do with one of the sensors up the top being covered but strange that there’s two different results depending on what action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

mad muffin wrote: »
    This is why Apple released the 8 as well as the X. For people like you, who don’t like change.
    I do like change, look at those fantastic Samsungs, the only thing with them is I just don't like the Android O/S, the 8 is not much better than a 6s to justify buying it, maybe the next iphone will be the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Has anyone here ordered their Iphone x using clove uk? If so, how long was shipping? I know normally its next day with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Got mine Saturday and the settings have the red number 1 when I click in it asks to accept new iCloud terms and I click agree but every time I do the number one stays there.. any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Got mine Saturday and the settings have the red number 1 when I click in it asks to accept new iCloud terms and I click agree but every time I do the number one stays there.. any ideas?

When settings have a notification it usually means that there is an iOS update available to download

BDJW wrote: »
    When settings have a notification it usually means that there is an iOS update available to download

Here’s the screen shot

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

MrMac84 wrote: »

I had the same when setting up mine. Drove me nuts! You need to disable Apple two step verification via your pc.

Sixtoes wrote: »
    I had the same when setting up mine. Drove me nuts! You need to disable Apple two step verification via your pc.

Fecks sake

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anyone else’s X getting noticeably warm, around the sleep/wake button, since updating to 11.2?

Updated last night and this afternoon I thought I was warm coming out of my pocket, but now I’ve been using it for the last hour or two, and it’s warm, sometimes bordering on hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Availability for X seems a lot better from UK. They have Space Grey, 64GB in stock Belfast for reservation & collection today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes the camera os good *for a phone* but of course picture quality is nowhere near a nice camera with a good lens.

Actually there's very little noticeable difference in the end product, and the biggest difference will be as always the person behind the camera.

Time magazine covers of the most influential women in the world were shot entirely on iPhone. Billboard advertisements shot with iPhone.

Weddings and wedding videos shot on iPhone. And all of these were pre-iPhone 8/X, so things have only improved.

Claiming its only good quality for a phone and not comparable to DSLRs is ignorant at best.

Advertisement