Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Actually there's very little noticeable difference in the end product, and the biggest difference will be as always the person behind the camera.

Time magazine covers of the most influential women in the world were shot entirely on iPhone. Billboard advertisements shot with iPhone.

Weddings and wedding videos shot on iPhone. And all of these were pre-iPhone 8/X, so things have only improved.

Claiming its only good quality for a phone and not comparable to DSLRs is ignorant at best.

Of course a bad photographer with a great camera will take worse pictures than a great photographer with a bad camera.

But calling it ignorant to say there is an obvious quality difference between a smartphone camera and a high end camera is fairly silly. No one who is in the slightest interested in photography will question the superior capabilities of a lets say a full frame sensor and a medium/high end lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bob24 wrote: »
    But calling it ignorant to say there is an obvious quality difference between a smartphone camera and a high end camera is fairly silly.
    That's the thing though. There's no perceivable difference in the end result 90+% of the time. That people can shoot magazine covers and billboard adverts using an iPhone shows there's literally no obvious quality difference between an iPhone and a DSLR.
    No one who is in the slightest interested in photography will question the superior capabilities of a lets say a full frame sensor and a medium/high end lens.

So... I should pretend I don't own both full frame cameras and a few L-series canon lenses.... :pac:

That's the thing though. There's no perceivable difference in the end result 90+% of the time. That people can shoot magazine covers and billboard adverts using an iPhone shows there's literally no obvious quality difference between an iPhone and a DSLR.

I would say much less than 90%, but even admitting it was the case just this negates your previous statement "Claiming its only good quality for a phone and not comparable to DSLRs is ignorant at best".

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah here come on, I think someone’s been drinking the apple koolaid a bit too much. A phone is not going to compete with a DSLR for photos. This 90% of the time there’s no difference claim is nonsense. Are you suggesting photographers spend thousands and thousands of euro on equipment for that 10%?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

this iphone cost maximum $300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

awec wrote: »
    Ah here come on, I think someone’s been drinking the apple koolaid a bit too much. A phone is not going to compete with a DSLR for photos. This 90% of the time there’s no difference claim is nonsense. Are you suggesting photographers spend thousands and thousands of euro on equipment for that 10%?

I too would contest the 90% difference, however, their point still stands I think.

The cameras are geared towards Selfies, and quick point and shoot that work just as well as a DSLR.

In other words, taking a photo with a dslr and an iPhone X and uploading to instagram to be looked at on another iPhone will show no noticeable difference for the most part.

flexcon wrote: »
    I too would contest the 90% difference, however, their point still stands I think.

The cameras are geared towards Selfies, and quick point and shoot that work just as well as a DSLR.

In other words, taking a photo with a dslr and an iPhone X and uploading to instagram to be looked at on another iPhone will show no noticeable difference for the most part.

I would agree for a quick snap to post on Instagram and review on another phone there is limited advantage to high-end camera, but I don't think that's the point they were making. What I read is "Claiming its only good quality for a phone and not comparable to DSLRs is ignorant at best" and "There's no perceivable difference in the end result 90+% of the time" without restricting those statements to reviewing selfies on a small screen as you did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cocksy wrote: »
    this iphone cost maximum $300

Thanks Tim. Your shareholders probably won't be happy at you divulging the real cost to the world at large, though.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thanks Tim. Your shareholders probably won't be happy at you divulging the real cost to the world at large, though.

In reality it probably does cost around that but... that doesn't take into account other costs such as Support, packaging, shipping, research etc.

In Apples earnings call the average margin is 39% profit give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I've got used to the lack of a home button and swiping now, I was using an iPad mini yesterday and having to click the home button twice to open the screen or to bring CC etc seemed incredibly cumbersome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I would agree for a quick snap to post on Instagram and review on another phone there is limited advantage to high-end camera, but I don't think that's the point they were making. What I read is "Claiming its only good quality for a phone and not comparable to DSLRs is ignorant at best" and "There's no perceivable difference in the end result 90+% of the time" without restricting those statements to reviewing selfies on a small screen as you did.

It’s pure delusional to claim they’re on a par.
    They’re not even close. It doesn’t matter how Apple put it but I always laugh at the comparisons.
    A picture taken on my Iphone can be good if that conditions are right etc and it’s not blown up but it’s not even close and anyone who claims otherwise is a fool.
    You simply cannot compare the sensor in a phone with the sensor in a dslr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

I love my X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I love my X

You should really get over your ex and move on.

DubDJ wrote: »
    You should really get over your ex and move on.

He's actually coming over this weekend for sexy funtimes in Dublin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Saw this thread show up in subs and thought “please don’t be still arguing about the camera...”

Christ.

Can we please go back to arguing about the camera?

Danbo! wrote: »
    Saw this thread show up in subs and thought “please don’t be still arguing about the camera...”

Christ.

Can we please go back to arguing about the camera?

It records in HD :D;):pac:

You need to go learn some lessons from Adele’s music :D

Now that the in-screen fingerprint scanner is a reality, I wonder what Apple's stance will be.

https://www.gsmarena.com/first_phone_with_underscreen_fingerprint_scanner_to_arrive_at_ces_2018-news-28685.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don’t miss Touch ID. Not one bit. Face ID is superior in every way. Of course people are going to point now and laugh and Samsung will troll. In the end though Face ID will be found to be superior, like it always does.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Now that the in-screen fingerprint scanner is a reality, I wonder what Apple's stance will be.

https://www.gsmarena.com/first_phone_with_underscreen_fingerprint_scanner_to_arrive_at_ces_2018-news-28685.php

If they find it to be a better solution than Face ID (unlikely), they will move to it. Orherwise they will just ignore.

In any case they won’t include several biometric authentication methods in the same device because they can’t decide which one to go for.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    I don’t miss Touch ID. Not one bit. Face ID is superior in every way. Of course people are going to point now and laugh and Samsung will troll. In the end though Face ID will be found to be superior, like it always does.

I wouldn’t say superior in every way. I was hesitant with replacing it but loved FaceID. After a few weeks now I can definately say it’s slower than TouchID. Also doesn’t work as reliably as sometimes my eyes won’t be looking at it as I swipe it or it might be at a slight angle and not picked up.

The main thing TouchID has over it is using it while it’s laying flat. That’s the definately big downside that is still there for me. One thing I wish Apple would change is how the software works, when failing a scan having to constantly press the cancel button when the pin number pad pops up is getting annoying.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say superior in every way. I was hesitant with replacing it but loved FaceID. After a few weeks now I can definately say it’s slower than TouchID. Also doesn’t work as reliably as sometimes my eyes won’t be looking at it as I swipe it or it might be at a slight angle and not picked up.

The main thing TouchID has over it is using it while it’s laying flat. That’s the definately big downside that is still there for me. One thing I wish Apple would change is how the software works, when failing a scan having to constantly press the cancel button when the pin number pad pops up is getting annoying.

You shouldn’t be canceling the pin. If it fails enter the pin. That way it’s learning that it’s you. I can now unlock my phone with half my face obscured with my hand because it knows it’s me. Because I entered the pin.

mad muffin wrote: »
    You shouldn’t be canceling the pin. If it fails enter the pin. That way it’s learning that it’s you. I can now unlock my phone with half my face obscured with my hand because it knows it’s me. Because I entered the pin.

That's exactly it. The more you use FaceID and correct it, the better.

So if you wake up in the morning and it doesn't recognize you, enter in the Pin. That way this system knows it was you, and it got it wrong.

I read somewhere from a developer that the Face ID needs at least a 98% match to what you initially set it up for for it to work and open.

If it's less than 98% and still more than 90% - then enter in the PinCode and it will then remember this for future unlocks.

In other words, if you wake up sleepy headed and look at the iPhone the first time at 3am, then it probably won't unlock. But - if you enter in the Pin code, then the next time it gets a 90% or more match - it will unlock.

AFAIK once its below 90% - it won't even with a PinCode

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

So after over a month with the X, i'm thinking of getting rid of it and going for the 8.

There's a number of factors that are swaying my decision, Face ID hasn't been great for me, still about 50/50 wether it opens the phone or not.

I miss the screen size of the + models(i know it's bigger on paper, but it's really just a taller 7 screen size) watching videos on the X is just like watching them on the 7, and if you 'zoom' when the option is available, it zooms, but it's cropped due to the aspect ratio.

eeloe wrote: »
    So after over a month with the X, i'm thinking of getting rid of it and going for the 8.

There's a number of factors that are swaying my decision, Face ID hasn't been great for me, still about 50/50 wether it opens the phone or not.

I miss the screen size of the + models(i know it's bigger on paper, but it's really just a taller 7 screen size) watching videos on the X is just like watching them on the 7, and if you 'zoom' when the option is available, it zooms, but it's cropped due to the aspect ratio.

give the Face ID a longer go. See the post above. If its 50/50 something is wrong. It should be more like 90:10. When it doesn't recognize your face, enter the pin code. Don't dismiss it and try again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

flexcon wrote: »
    give the Face ID a longer go. See the post above. If its 50/50 something is wrong. It should be more like 90:10. When it doesn't recognize your face, enter the pin code. Don't dismiss it and try again

Yeah i've been doing that all the time, it's such a pain in the hole.

It's gonna be the end of Jan anyway before i could realistically sell it, no one would be willing to shell out that kind of money on a second hand phone this close to christmas so might have to wait till the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Cant remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but an interesting experiment is to put your index finger over your mouth like a fake moustache, let faceID attempt and fail and bang in your pin. Try it again and FaceID won't fail because it's learnt from pin entry that it's you. Pretty impressive and shows how quick it learns. I've exhausted lots of possibilities with various facial expressions/covering different parts of my face when demoing this to people and FaceID really only fails now for me if its too extreme an angle.

Danbo! wrote: »
    Cant remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but an interesting experiment is to put your index finger over your mouth like a fake moustache, let faceID attempt and fail and bang in your pin. Try it again and FaceID won't fail because it's learnt from pin entry that it's you. Pretty impressive and shows how quick it learns. I've exhausted lots of possibilities with various facial expressions/covering different parts of my face when demoing this to people and FaceID really only fails now for me if its too extreme an angle.

Yeah, that was me :D

This is why it’s important to input the passcode when I fails instead of dismissing it. Every passcode entry is a learning moment for Face ID.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As handy as TouchID was, it was far from perfect. Wet and dirty/greasy hands and it wouldn’t work. Trade off however is that it’s slightly faster than FaceID.

That being said I don’t miss touchID. FaceID has replaced it quite well, especially since it knows my face a lot better than it did than when I first got it.

I’ve also had no issues with unlocked the phone by mistake with FaceID whereas I did have that with touchid when taking it out of my pocket. (Resulted in a 60 minute accidental call at one point!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Rusty_Mectum

Any recommendations of a cheap and effective screen protector?

Got the phone yesterday and I am loving it!

Gear21 case also on the way

Advertisement