Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Any recommendations of a cheap and effective screen protector?

Got the phone yesterday and I am loving it!

Gear21 case also on the way
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Protector-DoubleDefence-Technology-Alignment/dp/B074YXH9WX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513549351&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+iphone+x+screen+protector+for+apple+iphone+x

Have always Anker Tempered Glass protectors to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Face ID is far more reliable for me the touch sensor ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rusty_Mectum

DubDJ wrote: »
    You need to go learn some lessons from Adele’s music :D
    Send my love to your new lover
    Treat her better
    We've gotta let go of all of our ghosts
    We both know we ain't kids no more
    Send my love to your new lover
    Treat her better
    We've gotta let go of all of our ghosts
    We both know we ain't kids no more
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Picked up X today 1st impressions perfect size screen & display is brillant.

See how the Face ID goes as I switch between glasses & no glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Picked up X today 1st impressions perfect size screen & display is brillant.

See how the Face ID goes as I switch between glasses & no glasses.

Advice is to set up FaceID without glasses. It’s better at recognising something extra on your face than something missing. I set mine up without and I wear them full time and have had zero issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

First thoughts on X;

Screen size perfect and display with True Tone crystal.

Speed of phone between apps, etc razor quick.

Face ID with & without glasses flawless no issues.

Apps that are optimized really do make the phone & screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

Hi guys

Anybody else have issues with the screen? Mine has this false touch issue where by the screen moves from app to app as if someone is touching it and continues typing when I stop. Really annoying and have had to move back to 5S.

Tried every software fix and no joy. Apple repair is closed until January so cannot send back. Has anybody faced same issue and did you get a replacement or repair carried out. Phone is only a month old.

Also tried calling Belfast store to see if they can help out but no answer will ha e to call again later they are probably swapped this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nialloo24 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Anybody else have issues with the screen? Mine has this false touch issue where by the screen moves from app to app as if someone is touching it and continues typing when I stop. Really annoying and have had to move back to 5S.

Tried every software fix and no joy. Apple repair is closed until January so cannot send back. Has anybody faced same issue and did you get a replacement or repair carried out. Phone is only a month old.

Also tried calling Belfast store to see if they can help out but no answer will ha e to call again later they are probably swapped this time of year.

I'd really suggest you contact Apple via their chat service and see what they can do your phone is clearly faulty and is covered by warranty. They normally offer excellent service through their chat service.

Try here

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'd really suggest you contact Apple via their chat service and see what they see as your phone is clearly faulty and is covered by warranty.

Try here

I did indeed but a repair can’t be set up until after Xmas. Was wondering if anyone else faced this issue.

It happened all of a sudden. Phone in case since day 1 never dropped so strange for it to happen after only 1 month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭listermint

faceman wrote: »
    As handy as TouchID was, it was far from perfect. Wet and dirty/greasy hands and it wouldn’t work. Trade off however is that it’s slightly faster than FaceID.

That being said I don’t miss touchID. FaceID has replaced it quite well, especially since it knows my face a lot better than it did than when I first got it.

I’ve also had no issues with unlocked the phone by mistake with FaceID whereas I did have that with touchid when taking it out of my pocket. (Resulted in a 60 minute accidental call at one point!)

Without a doubt Apples next big model will be back to Touch ID (behind the screen) And they will sell it as being more secure and faster than face id.

This is the future i have predicted. And you will all be back again saying how great the behind the screen touch is and how its better than face id ever was.

12 months...

listermint wrote: »
    Without a doubt Apples next big model will be back to Touch ID (behind the screen) And they will sell it as being more secure and faster than face id.

This is the future i have predicted. And you will all be back again saying how great the behind the screen touch is and how its better than face id ever was.

12 months...

I don't think that's as certain as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeah for sure, I'd be 90% certain the next iPhone's hardware is locked down already.

'Model change' then, rather than 's' edition.

It will have a touch behind the screen, and everyone here will be raving about how great it is, and how face id is no comparison.

Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

12 months...

You will never see Touch ID on an iPhone again. Never.

'Model change' then, rather than 's' edition.

It will have a touch behind the screen, and everyone here will be raving about how great it is, and how face id is no comparison.

Guaranteed.

I thought they should do the same initially -that it was a trade-off for a larger screen, and they'd bring touchID back when they could make it work on the screen.

But having used it, I do find the overall experience is far superior because of faceID - I know people have said online it can be buggy, but I've had about maybe 5 fails max since launch.

There are some weird quirks, like having to double click the side button to confirm a purchase, but aside from that it's seamless.

The key thing is that it doesn't require me to do anything. Touch ID used a modal alert to hold you in place until you either cancelled or thumbed the button. FaceID shows a little toast animation while it checks and that's it. I'd find it weird to go back to Touch ID, even if it was the entire screen, as it needs user input.

Beside which, there will still be a notch.

Danbo! wrote: »
    I'd find it weird to go back to Touch ID, even if it was the entire screen, as it needs user input.

I thought face ID required a swipe up to actually unlock the phone, or have they already ditched that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought face ID required a swipe up to actually unlock the phone, or have they already ditched that?

It's still there. However you can swipe up immediately. You don't need to wait for the unlock symbol to appear.

Basil3 wrote: »

Yep, but I meant for other applications like filling passwords, etc.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    You will never see Touch ID on an iPhone again. Never.

It wont be called Touch ID, it will some new snazzy nonsense name but it will definitely be back behind the screen. And you sir will drink it up.

Mark this post, mark your post. see you in 12 months

Nope. Touch is dead.

Nope. Touch is dead.

Im afraid not, Youve been swallowed into this envelope.

The only reason they didnt do it this time out is they could get it quite right. Face ID was the backup option.

It will be back, it will be behind the screen. It may take up the lower entire half of the screen i.e press anywhere but it will be back in force.

The only reason they didnt do it this time out is they could get it quite right. Face ID was the backup option.

It will be back, it will be behind the screen. It may take up the lower entire half of the screen i.e press anywhere but it will be back in force.

Face ID is far more secure and reliable! Why go backwards!

Face ID is far more secure Marketing and reliable! Marketing Why go backwards!

Usability / New 'cool' features to sell back to the public with the new device

It wont be called Touch ID, it will some new snazzy nonsense name but it will definitely be back behind the screen. And you sir will drink it up.

They won't go back.

When have Apple every brought anything back that they got rid of.

Even so, they would only bring something back if it was an improvement over the existing solution so why call it snazzy nonsense and call people stupid?

They won't go back.

When have Apple every brought anything back that they got rid of.

Even so, they would only bring something back if it was an improvement over the existing solution so why call it snazzy nonsense and call people stupid?

Apparently that’s how you win an argument

Duly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It's not coming back anytime soon. The is no rational for it.

Face ID will come to the next iPad models, and probably at some point to the Macs and then Touch ID will be out.

I'm not saying fingerprint authentication is never coming back ... who knows in a few years it might make sense on some Apple devices depending on form factor / available technology. But Face ID is not a stopgap which will disappears as quickly as it came - next year's now iOS devices will all be using it apart maybe from budget options which are based on older devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I agree with the general concencous here, I think FaceID is here to stay for a while. While I do agree Apple more than likely intended to have TouchID embedded beneath the screen at first I think they were probably exploring FaceID as an alternative/new technology.

The fact that FaceID integrates better across iOS and macOS, as well as being a bit more seamless makes me think it’s here to stay until something significantly better comes along. I don’t think embedding beneat the screen will be good enough. It certainly won’t be added to the next iPhone, I’d probably put money down on that one.

Advertisement