Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not to mention the fact that the Face ID hardware is not just for authentication but also provides other features which Touch ID can’t.

Granted, for now the only practical selling point s ans to be Animoji which is something most people would happily live without. But face/depth recognition is already also leveraged by the camera app, and there is an API for Apple and developers alike to confirm me up with other uses.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that the Face ID hardware is not just for authentication but also provides other features which Touch ID can’t.

Granted, for now the only practical selling point s ans to be Animoji which is something most people would happily live without. But face/depth recognition is already also leveraged by the camera app, and there is an API for Apple and developers alike to confirm me up with other uses.

I thought I saw a video where animojis work fine with all sensors covered except the front facing camera....so maybe even that isn't a selling point.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought I saw a video where animojis work fine with all sensors covered except the front facing camera....so maybe even that isn't a selling point.

This was subsequently debunked as being incorrect. I.e. it sometimes works but not as intended.

This was subsequently debunked as being incorrect. I.e. it sometimes works but not as intended.

Just read the apple response. It hardly debunked it, they just said that it will still work, but the depth map with likely degrade over time.....hardly convincing.

Basil3 wrote: »

Just read the apple response. It hardly debunked it, they just said that it will still work, but the depth map with likely degrade over time.....hardly convincing.

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/11/15/the-iphone-x-doesnt-actually-need-face-id-for-animoji-apparently/

“Update: We tested it on a couple of iPhone X’s, and it seems my earlier theory was actually correct. While there’s little or no difference when you cover up Face ID’s sensors after Animoji have already begun, if you cover the TrueDepth sensors before you initiate the process, the resulting animoji are more laggy and stuttery than usual. That suggests Apple is using Face ID’s sensors to create an initial depth map – possibly refreshed periodically – which is then mapped onto the RGB camera.”

• Advertisement

So it is clearly using the Face ID sensors and doesn’t work as intended when you cover it at the start.

But in any case it’s largely irrelevant to our discussion as we probably agree that Animojis aren’t exactly a killer app. Good uses of the tech might or might not come from Apple it third party developers in the future.

My point was that since it is not just there for authentication Apple is unliked to remove it for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, my mams X is doing some
    Random crap while on standby etc

She left always calling people while the phones in her pocket etc
    I just thought it was her and how she was leaning on it and maybe a Siri something.

So I turned Siri off and then in front of our eyes the phone was sitting there and all of a sudden the 2fm app just start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

kceire wrote: »
    Guys, my mams X is doing some
    Random crap while on standby etc

She left always calling people while the phones in her pocket etc
    I just thought it was her and how she was leaning on it and maybe a Siri something.

So I turned Siri off and then in front of our eyes the phone was sitting there and all of a sudden the 2fm app just start playing.

Sounds like ghosting to me,next time, check do apps that open lie across the same areas of the homescreen,can be a pain,and worth a replacement if not accidentally damaged!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I just got a dispatch email from Apple I clicked on the link and it brings me to the dhl page nothings up there yet.

I guess my question is whats the chances of it arriving tomorrow for those who have ordered it from Apple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I just got a dispatch email from Apple I clicked on the link and it brings me to the dhl page nothings up there yet.

I guess my question is whats the chances of it arriving tomorrow for those who have ordered it from Apple?

Usually happens once the tracking number has been created but the phone not picked up by courier yet. I ordered a MacBook last week and got a tracking code about 5pm on Monday, nothing all evening then Tuesday morning it had about 6 “events” on the tracker and it was out for delivery. That was with an estimated delivery of 27th Dec. Obviously may differ with phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have it for 24 hours now and am really impressed more than I thought I would be the size and feel from my jump up from a 5s and notch weren't even noticeable after playing with it for a couple of hours.

Face ID is very impressive again something I really wasn't expecting and I don't see them returning to Touch something I would have said they would do myself before using Face ID.

Sunglasses on and hood up today and it still worked.

Looking forward to play with it more over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Got mine today. Really liking it except for one thing... That gap under the keyboard is horrid! Surely Apple could have found some use for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Gwildor wrote: »
    Got mine today. Really liking it except for one thing... That gap under the keyboard is horrid! Surely Apple could have found some use for it!

They made a "bigger" screen that is actually has no more usable space than the 6,7 or 8.

Fully agreed, I’ve had the phone or 5 days and it is one of the few little things which bother me ... nothing major though.

They made a "bigger" screen that is actually has no more usable space than the 6,7 or 8.

Ah that’s not fair I think. In some specific apps/scenarios what you are saying is true, but in others there’s definitely more useable space (as as time goes by both Apple and third party devs will adapt their UIs to make better use of that space).

Does anyone elses X hang for a second or so when you press the lock button? I've tried a few of the online suggestions to stop it, but non have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Does anyone elses X hang for a second or so when you press the lock button? I've tried a few of the online suggestions to stop it, but non have worked.

It’s waiting for a potential second press of the same button to launch Apple Pay

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s waiting for a potential second press of the same button to launch Apple Pay

Yeah I read that. However disabling Apple Pay makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Happy New Year!

Anybody got any recommendations for a wireless charger that they picked up on eBay or Amazon? Just something for the desk in work that I can leave the phone on & charging.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Cheers, some good deals on Amazon so will probably pick one up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Mr.S wrote: »
    flying to the US this week and tempted to pick up an X as the savings are quite substantial compared to here. It says on the Apple site that the sim free version is both GSM and CDMA - so that’s fine to work over here right?

Yep, absolutely no problem to use it in Europe at all and still fully covered by the Apple warranty. Indeed several tests have shown the Qualcomm version (US Sim Free/Verizon) has a higher performing modem for 4G data speeds in weak signal areas than the Intel modem used in the version sold in EU, albeit not the same dramatic difference as with the iPhone 7, but still seems worth getting it if you can in the US!

flying to the US this week and tempted to pick up an X as the savings are quite substantial compared to here. It says on the Apple site that the sim free version is both GSM and CDMA - so that’s fine to work over here right?

If you want it to support the exact same bands as the ones sold in Europe, make sure you get model A1901: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-X

Also while Apple is likely to fix it if you have an issue in Ireland, I believe the warranty is officially not international so they could refuse if they want to (and an APR such as CompuB is likely not to take it - Belfast's brick and mortar Apple Store might be the only option).

Can you pick a specific model number in store?

The model number they give you depends on which network you say you want to use it with. I *think* if you ask for a sim-free phone they give the AT&T version which is the same as the European one, but you can double check the model number on the box.

If you want it to support the exact same bands as the ones sold in Europe, make sure you get model A1901: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-X

Unfortunately I would have to disagree and this isn't good advice. The device sold as SIM Free in the US is the A1865 which is the same as Verizon/Sprint models and is the phone that supports the most bands and networks.

This is by far the most desirable as in addition to covering all the bands covered by the A1901 it also covers CDMA bands which are used in some Asian and US networks as well as containing the Qualcomm modem which is slightly superior to the Intel modem used in the A1901.

Plenty of advice on the web, e.g. https://www.iphonetricks.org/4-reasons-to-buy-the-unlocked-sim-free-a1865-iphone-x-model/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wpisdu

Happy New Year!

Anybody got any recommendations for a wireless charger that they picked up on eBay or Amazon? Just something for the desk in work that I can leave the phone on & charging.

Thanks.

Check this one:
    http://amzn.eu/bO8z3eM

bkehoe wrote: »
    Unfortunately I would have to disagree and this isn't good advice. The device sold as SIM Free in the US is the A1865 which is the same as Verizon/Sprint models and is the phone that supports the most bands and networks.

This is by far the most desirable as in addition to covering all the bands covered by the A1901 it also covers CDMA bands which are used in some Asian and US networks as well as containing the Qualcomm modem which is slightly superior to the Intel modem used in the A1901.

Plenty of advice on the web, e.g. https://www.iphonetricks.org/4-reasons-to-buy-the-unlocked-sim-free-a1865-iphone-x-model/

I said that’s the model which is the exact same as the one sold in Europe, not that it is the one supporting the most bands.

To be honest I think both models are fine and it will make no difference if the plan is to use the phone with a European SIM card.

As you said model A1865 will be better if people are planing to move to certain countries in North America or Asia and subscribe to a CDMA network there, but that’s really a very limited crowd (even if people move to those countries they will also have GSM options available so they won’t be stuck)

The potential advantage of model A1901 here is that it might be easier to get it serviced by an Apple Store as they will for sure have replacements available if required as it is the same as the European model.

To be honest I think either both models are fine and it will make no difference if the plan is to use the phone with a European SIM card.

Worth reading this; https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/01/qualcomm-iphone-x-still-faster-than-intel/

I can assure you there is no issue in having a US/Asia model iPhone serviced with Apple in Europe as well, but as you said if a complete device replacement is required then they will have to get one shipped in, usually next day (in the case of a friend).
    I, and many friends have been buying our iPhones in the US for several years, and the last 2 have been exceptionally beneficial due to the ability to get the Qualcomm version of the 7 and now of the X. :)

In summary, A1865 supports every band the version sold in Ireland supports as well as some extra bands which may be useful while roaming but most importantly has faster 4G performance and you will save money! :)

bkehoe wrote: »
    I can assure you there is no issue in having a US/Asia model iPhone serviced with Apple in Europe as well

Apple will do it most of the time, but I wouldn't say "no issue". Firstly because the warranty is not officially a global one and while they will help as a general rule Apple can deny service if they want to (I cannot find it anymore but I remember a thread here from someone with a US phone who was having trouble getting it serviced), and they will usually tell people they need to go to an Apple Store rather than using the mail-in warranty service. Secondly because since it is more a goodwill gesture from Apple than the actual warranty contract, APRs such as CompuB and i-connect are unlikely to accept servicing it at all as they have no guarantee Apple will grant an exception.

Those things probably matter very little if people live next to an Apple Store, but they can possibly be a bit of an annoyance here since we don't have Apple Stores in the republic (meaning it might require a trip to Belfast - in which case you don’t want to be told they don’t have the appropriate part to replace your phone when you make it there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 gordonok

The model number they give you depends on which network you say you want to use it with. I *think* if you ask for a sim-free phone they give the AT&T version which is the same as the European one, but you can double check the model number on the box.

Just spend 4 weeks on to Apple at various times and eventually have managed to get a refund for the iPhone X.
    I am on the Virgin network and the call quality on the X is shocking compared to my previous phone the 7. Even got replacement handset as I thought I might just have been unlucky and got a faulty phone initially.
    A senior support technician from Apple verified that the call quality on the X (model A1901, bought direct from Apple) wasn’t up to scratch and agreed that I can get a refund under Irish consumer law - not meeting the sale of goods condition - a phone which can’t make phone calls.

Advertisement