Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

That's a strange one, the phone has to pass all kinds of tests to be certified for use. No issue with mine on Vodafone but I think VM piggyback on the 3 network. The thing is though, they all operate the frequencies needed to make/receive calls and they are regulated. Wonder if your signal strength was causing issue or other devices in the home or neighbors. Could there be someone with a jammer in the area?

yes, jammers are illegal to use but that doesn't stop them being owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is currently in San Fran and I'm thinking of buying an iPhone X from the US website ($999) using my credit card and opting for collection. i.e have my friend collect it from the nearest store in SF.

would there be any issues/complications with this? ..I'm thinking they might ask to see the Credit Card or Photo ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ION08 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

A friend of mine is currently in San Fran and I'm thinking of buying an iPhone X from the US website ($999) using my credit card and opting for collection. i.e have my friend collect it from the nearest store in SF.

would there be any issues/complications with this? ..I'm thinking they might ask to see the Credit Card or Photo ID?

It might just be easier to transfer the cash to your friend and have him/her buy one in the store for you

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

BDJW wrote: »
    It might just be easier to transfer the cash to your friend and have him/her buy one in the store for you

And don't forget to add the sales and state taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

This is the first iPhone since the 3GS I haven't upgraded to within a month of release.. I don't know what has me unconvinced :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is the first iPhone since the 3GS I haven't upgraded to within a month of release.. I don't know what has me unconvinced :(

Probably the price! This is by far the best iPhone ever released

faceman wrote: »

LOL it's actually not the price.
    I think maybe my subconscious is trying to escape 10 years of expensive Vodafone contracts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I’ve been using the X since I finally got to open it on Christmas Day and I’m a bit lukewarm on it tbh I don’t know what it is but I just don’t feel an attachment to like I have other phones.

I also don’t think it is holding mobile signal as well as my 7 plus did.

F34 wrote: »
    I’ve been using the X since I finally got to open it on Christmas Day and I’m a bit lukewarm on it tbh I don’t know what it is but I just don’t feel an attachment to like I have other phones.
    I get that... I haven't had that attachment really or true excitement since the 5S. I was really looking forward to the 7 but it was short lived.. Don't get me wrong, I love iPhone.. and wouldn't change to anything else.. I just miss something :)

F34 wrote: »
    I get that... I haven't had that attachment really or true excitement since the 5. I was really looking forward to the 7 but it was short lived.. Don't get me wrong, I love iPhone.. and wouldn't change to anything else.. I just miss something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 gordonok

Tazium wrote: »
    That's a strange one, the phone has to pass all kinds of tests to be certified for use. No issue with mine on Vodafone but I think VM piggyback on the 3 network. The thing is though, they all operate the frequencies needed to make/receive calls and they are regulated. Wonder if your signal strength was causing issue or other devices in the home or neighbors. Could there be someone with a jammer in the area?

yes, jammers are illegal to use but that doesn't stop them being owned.

Not sure. Why wouldn’t jammer affect the signal on the 7 then as well. Luckily I hadn’t sold the old phone yet so I could verify the difference in reception. Looking at various forums in the US and there is a huge number of threads with similar findings. Model A1905 vs model A1865 where the latter uses Qualcomm model and seems to be superior to the intel one used in the A1905.
    My house is in a poor reception zone but the fact that I can make and receive calls successfully on the 7 where I can’t on the X points to a hardware issue with the new phone I think. Anyway, I’m happy enough to get a refund because I work from home 2 days a week and the X wasn’t fit for purpose for this so I’ll stick with the 7 until the XS is released or else import an A1865 from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I doubt there are any savings when you factor in import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is there always one do gooder who brings this up?

faceman wrote: »

Surely every latest new flagship model iPhone is the best iPhone ever released?

I'm not convinced by the X either, totally put off by the notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

murpho999 wrote: »

Some are more significant than others. Getting a 7 after the 6 and 6S was a bit meh, it was a bit faster, etc, but it was pretty much the same form factor and features. The X has taken more of a leap forward - edge to edge screen, FaceId, etc - was like when the 4 came out with new glass back, improved camera and retina display, then the 5 was thinner with a taller screen, 5S brought TouchID, then the 6 brought multiple screen sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

HA! .. good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'm not convinced by the X either, totally put off by the notch.

Yes if any new flagship iPhone model was not the best iPhone ever made, it would mean Apple is failing big time. Who would buy the new model of its not better than previous ones? (actually for me the 3G falls in that category, I decided not to buy it because I hated the plastic design and in spite of the specs gap I thought the original was a better phone; and very reluctantly bought the 3GS the following year because I was a bit desperate for 3G and the faster CPU before gladly getting rid of it when the 4 was released).

Having said that you can also measure the (subjective) whooo effect of each model for its time.

For me the best 2 are undoubtedly the original iPhone and the iPhone 4. Trailing them are the 5 and the X. Then the 6 and the 7. Then the 3G which to me ranks very bad. (I’m ignoring S versions and non flagship models on purpose, not meaning they were bad or insignificant).

And IMO the notch is a complete non-issue. I was not worried about it before getting the phone and I am not bothered by it at all now that I have it. Face ID was a different story: I was a bit unsure about it before using it, and required practical experience to be convinced it is at least as good as Touch ID (not always as good - there are scenarios where one is better than the other - but all things considered for me it is at least as good).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have iPhone 6 and am considering X or 8 Plus. Not sure what the difference is. Don't really mind the difference in price so is the X worth the extra few euro?

Also 64GB v 256GB is 150. I have a 64GB and still have 22GB space so not sure if I need the bigger one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have iPhone 6 and am considering X or 8 Plus. Not sure what the difference is. Don't really mind the difference in price so is the X worth the extra few euro?

Also 64GB v 256GB is 150. I have a 64GB and still have 22GB space so not sure if I need the bigger one!

I was in the same situation. Go for the 8. At first the form factor will make you feel like you've not really changed your phone but there are huge incremental improvements everywhere.
    -Speed
    -Battery
    -Wireless charging
    -speakers much nicer
    -camera is much improved
    -Screen is a bit nicer

Don't bother with the 256 as its not worth the extra if you're not going to use it.

Edit - noticed you mentioned the 8 plus but most of it stands for the 8. 8 plus is even better but too large for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

Any recommendations for a good quality cover for x please. I have a sigen armor (I think, it’s not clear on the actual cover what the proper name is) for an 8 and that seems solid.

Thanks if anyone can comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

wobert wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good quality cover for x please. I have a sigen armor (I think, it’s not clear on the actual cover what the proper name is) for an 8 and that seems solid.

Thanks if anyone can comment.

Well I have never been into folio type cases before but I got the Otterbox Strada Series Folio as a Christmas present and I just can't fault it. Fantasic protection front and back. I carry one credit card in the slot for purchases over 30 euro which means I don't need to carry a wallet at all.

https://www.otterbox.ie/en-ie/iphone-x/strada-series-folio-case/apl40-iph17.html?dwvar_apl40-iph17_color=QK#start=7

sean72 wrote: »
    Well I have never been into folio type cases before but I got the Otterbox Strada Series Folio as a Christmas present and I just can't fault it. Fantasic protection front and back. I carry one credit card in the slot for purchases over 30 euro which means I don't need to carry a wallet at all.

https://www.otterbox.ie/en-ie/iphone-x/strada-series-folio-case/apl40-iph17.html?dwvar_apl40-iph17_color=QK#start=7

Just wondering what you are referring to here?

If you mean you use Apple Pay, then it is not restricted by the €30 limit. I have used it in lots of places for larger amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you mean you use Apple Pay, then it is not restricted by the €30 limit. I have used it in lots of places for larger amounts.
    It's true that Apple Pay transactions can go over the €30 limit it depends how the terminal is set up, whilst true the majority of them will allow an Apple Pay (and thus any xPay transaction I assume) I've had transactions over €30 declined with Apple Pay.

Having this ambiguity is super annoying and kinda stops me going Apple Pay for everything.

With the folio cases, there's a colleague of mine that recently got into using one but he doesn't use it for a credit card but it's for his hotel room key. My line of work has me practically living out of hotels so I could definitely do with a folio to always know where my room key is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not all businesses use mobile payments either so always better to have a physical card with you when out if you don't carry cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

thanks, I had a folio type case on a previous phone but kept having difficulty when I was removing it from my pocket (too bulky)so eventually got tired of it. Was planning on giving my wife the ip8 but she doesnt want it:confused:, not sure whether to cancel the x now.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Not always the case though so I need to have the option until it is

It's true that Apple Pay transactions can go over the €30 limit it depends how the terminal is set up, whilst true the majority of them will allow an Apple Pay (and thus any xPay transaction I assume) I've had transactions over €30 declined with Apple Pay.

Having this ambiguity is super annoying and kinda stops me going Apple Pay for everything.

With the folio cases, there's a colleague of mine that recently got into using one but he doesn't use it for a credit card but it's for his hotel room key. My line of work has me practically living out of hotels so I could definitely do with a folio to always know where my room key is :pac:
    sean72 wrote: »
    Not always the case though so I need to have the option until it is

Fair enough I haven't been declined yet for over €30 but that said I don't use as often as I would like as I use Boon for apple pay. I wonder when the rest of the Irish banks will get on board with Apple Pay.

Don't like folio cases myself as I like to see the front of my phone regularly. I have seen cases now with no front with cardholder slots on the back.

Also, seen cardholder accessories been stuck onto backs of phones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Got my X on launch day.... have to say I do think its fantastic.... but the size still bothers me.....

Does anyone know how I would go about a swap for an iPhone 8 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I changed my X for an 8. Just couldn’t get on with the gestures or Face ID. Though, the notch didn’t bother me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

How did u do it Gwildor ?

Advertisement