Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do we think the X is a success or not? Have sales figures been announced?

Out a few months now and I have not seen one out and about in public nor do I know anybody personally who has one. Not saying that's a very accurate gauge but I have seen more of other model iPhones in people's hands shortly after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

iPhone X IMO is a fantastic phone... the camera is amazing and the screen is unbeatable... coming from the SE I just find the screen too large....
    Wife has a 7 and that size screen is PERFECT....
    Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

I love my X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

murpho999 wrote: »

Out a few months now and I have not seen one out and about in public nor do I know anybody personally who has one. Not saying that's a very accurate gauge but I have seen more of other model iPhones in people's hands shortly after launch.

I saw a girl last week with one, and that’s the first time I’ve seen one out and about.
    I upgraded from a 6 last month, but I just couldn’t justify the price of the X for ended up with an 8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You couldn’t pay me to swap my X for an 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Got my X on launch day.... have to say I do think its fantastic.... but the size still bothers me.....

Does anyone know how I would go about a swap for an iPhone 8 ??

Both phones are more or less than same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

faceman wrote: »

Same size ??? ... hmmm ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Same size ??? ... hmmm ok

iPhone 8: 138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3 mm

iPhone X: 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm

Like I said, feck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’ve seen a grand total of one in public. Bought one myself just after Christmas. I think it’s been a disappointment in terms of sales. I think they priced it too high. The form factor won’t appeal to everyone either eg My wife wouldn’t get one owing to the smaller screen vs the plus. I’ve a number of people in my circle that have bought the 8/8 plus.

I’ve seen a grand total of one in public. Bought one myself just after Christmas. I think it’s been a disappointment in terms of sales. I think they priced it too high. The form factor won’t appeal to everyone either eg My wife wouldn’t get one owing to the smaller screen vs the plus. I’ve a number of people in my circle that have bought the 8/8 plus.

It is a limited release model. Sales have matched expectations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It is a limited release model. Sales have matched expectations

That’s simply nonsense. There’s nothing limited about it. They wanted to sell as many as possible. I’d trust the usual sources that point to much earlier than expected cuts in production numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Went from a 7Plus to the X - Love it - Face ID perfect, Notch dont see it, Gestures for app jumping is perfect and all round i am very happy - Just got a fast wireless charger also so will use in work daily.. would i pay 1000 flat out - not a bloody chance. i upgraded via a deal on Adverts.

That’s simply nonsense. There’s nothing limited about it. They wanted to sell as many as possible. I’d trust the usual sources that point to much earlier than expected cuts in production numbers.

It’s not. They set limited quantities. It’s not a pile em high sell em cheap product ffs

Apple won’t release iPhone X sales figures till their earnings call next month.

Don't get this the X is 5.8 inches against 5.5 inches of the plus.

So the X is a bigger screen but without bezels making the phone smaller.

Are you reducing the X's screen size because of the notch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I caved and got one. I’m very impressed with it, particularly happy with the wireless charging and the screen.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's simple maths, people.

iPhone X screen is 62 x 135mm = 8370mm2
    iPhone X screen minus notch is 62 x 130 = 8060mm2
    iPhone 8 Plus screen is 69 x 122mm = 8418mm2
    iPhone 8 screen is 59 x 105mm = 6195mm2

The 8 plus is a bigger screen, and it's no surprise....it looks bigger, especially when seeing videos playing.

The X screen has smaller surface area than the plus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

faceman wrote: »
    Got my X on launch day.... have to say I do think its fantastic.... but the size still bothers me.....

Does anyone know how I would go about a swap for an iPhone 8 ??

I went from a 7 to an X and the size (and weight) difference is definitely noticeable. I wouldn’t take the 7 back for other reasons but definitely like the size of the 7 better (even if it meant slightly smaller display).

This has been done to death but bigger display diagonal doesn’t mean larger display area (due to the different aspect ratio, not to mention the notch and the rounded corners).

It’s not. They set limited quantities. It’s not a pile em high sell em cheap product ffs

They didn’t voluntarily set limited quantities it would make no sense.

But as every company does they tried to optimise the price to maximise profit through the best combination of margin per unit and total number of units sold, and they *might* have miscalculated and set it a bit too high.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »

But as every company does they tried to optimise the price to maximise profit through the best combination of margin per unit and total number of units sold, and they *might* have miscalculated and set it a bit too high.

Yes they did.

Yes they did.

Care to provide any source/justification? It honestly would make no sense for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Up to about a week ago, all going well, I was hoping to treat myself to an X around April or May of this year, but have now seen rumours floating about saying that Apple will end of life iPhone X by mid summer and release some newer models soon after.

The rumour mills also say that there are 3 new models on the way, 2 OLED screen models and one LCD model, all of which have large screens in relatively small frame like the X, and FaceID notches.

So now I don’t know. Go ahead with original plan, or hold on for newer model that may not materialise as soon as they are saying. Lovely and all as the X is, it would be super annoying to lob that much money on something only for it to become last year’s news in a month or two.

This has been done to death but bigger display diagonal doesn’t mean larger display area (due to the different aspect ratio, not to mention the notch and the rounded corners).

Well isn't that what I just said? Did you not see me mention the notch?

Either way, I'm not going to read through 2280 posts to see if it has been covered before.

duridian wrote: »
    Up to about a week ago, all going well, I was hoping to treat myself to an X around April or May of this year, but have now seen rumours floating about saying that Apple will end of life iPhone X by mid summer and release some newer models soon after.

The rumour mills also say that there are 3 new models on the way, 2 OLED screen models and one LCD model, all of which have large screens in relatively small frame like the X, and FaceID notches.

So now I don’t know. Go ahead with original plan, or hold on for newer model that may not materialise as soon as they are saying. Lovely and all as the X is, it would be super annoying to lob that much money on something only for it to become last year’s news in a month or two.

Don't get this as new iPhone's are released every year.

When a new one is released, and the X is shelved, rather than being the second tier phone, you wlll still have the X which will remain a high spec phone that is still supported by Apple.

Well isn't that what I just said? Did you not see me mention the notch?

Either way, I'm not going to read through 2280 posts to see if it has been covered before.

No what I explained is different. Even without the notch a 5.8 diagonal can be a smaller surface area than a 5.5 diagonal due to a wider aspect ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

So after a few months since its release , is the x worth it ?

Ive an unlocked 7+ 256gb im looking to unload to get an x

Worth it ?

Worth it ?

Different people will have a different answer. Worth it as in is it better than previous generations? Yes. Worth it as in is it worth the price they charge for it? Depends on your disposable income and how much your use your smartphone.

Also while personally I find the Plus models way too large, if this is what you like and for exemple you use it to watch a lot of videos, the X won’t give you as large a picture in many cases.

Now my personal answer: yes it is a good phone I don’t regret buying (coming from a 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,214 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Worth it ?

No there's a bit of the screen missing the notch as some people call it, sales have been poor, rumour is Apple already binning it and replacing it.
    I'd keep your 7 until we see what's released in a few months.

• Advertisement

No there's a bit of the screen missing the notch as some people call it, sales have been poor, rumour is Apple already binning it and replacing it.
    I'd keep your 7 until we see what's released in a few months.

Apple won’t be binning it because it’s a bad product, it’s just to make way for new phones and to stop cannibalisation.
    There’s way too much being read into this rumour about the x.

The original iPhone and the 5 were also dropped after one production cycle without any issue and this is no different.

Advertisement