Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I'll hold on to my 7 + so , to me the x always seemed a gimmick just to mark 10 years , bypassing 9 etc

I don't watch videos on it , i do use various apps tho and use the phone alot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,214 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

murpho999 wrote: »
    Apple won’t be binning it because it’s a bad product, it’s just to make way for new phones and to stop cannibalisation.
    There’s way too much being read into this rumour about the x.

The original iPhone and the 5 were also dropped after one production cycle without any issue and this is no different.

It's a bad sales product, not hitting numbers, to you that might be ok but to a business it's a bad product.
    The iPhone 5 is still going in one form or another, I'd like to see will the notch still be around after so long.
    Anyone that says they prefer a phone with a notch needs their head read. You may tolerate it but it's certainly not preferable over no notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'll hold on to my 7 + so , to me the x always seemed a gimmick just to mark 10 years , bypassing 9 etc

I don't watch videos on it , i do use various apps tho and use the phone alot

Trust me, nothing about the X is gimmicky. Once you use Face ID and the gestures, you won’t want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

mad muffin wrote: »
    Trust me, nothing about the X is gimmicky. Once you use Face ID and the gestures, you won’t want to go back.

Almost fully agreed ... except for Animojis which to me are a pure gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's a bad sales product, not hitting numbers, to you that might be ok but to a business it's a bad product.
    The iPhone 5 is still going in one form or another, I'd like to see will the notch still be around after so long.
    Anyone that says they prefer a phone with a notch needs their head read. You may tolerate it but it's certainly not preferable over no notch.

As far as I know Apple haven’t released any numbers yet since the X went on sale so how do you know it’s not hitting numbers and a failure?

It’s definately one of Apple’s best iPhones, and I don’t mean it in the way Apple always refers to the new one as the best ever. I mean comparing it to the previous model, when you look at the last 10 years I think the only other iPhone that I felt was this different was the iPhone 4. All the rest were very similar and didn’t have major jumps.

I also prefer the notch, if it comes down to either the notch or the old form factors I’d take the notch any day. Or if it was a small bezel above and below I’d still prefer the notch.

I think my biggest issue with the X was the price. I still think it’s too expensive for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

The X was a big jump, and I had the 7Plus. I find it brilliant- so fast, ease of use. Great screen, vivid colours, excellent camera

I’d go as for as saying that in all likelyhood all new models this year will have a notch (aside maybe from a refreshed SE). If fact in a year’s time the only iPhone you can buy new without notch will probably be budget versions and previous years models. Simply because Touch ID is dead to Apple and for now they don’t have any better way to handle the front sensors array.

So unless they want to wait for what’s coming in a few years time people will be buying iPhones with that notch and be very fine with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nonsense. Apple won’t release sales figures until their February earnings call.

What we do know though is that iPhone X sales in the Us outsold it’s competitors flagship phones in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The 5 is gone. It was replaced by the 5c, which is a different phone.

I don't have the X as I don't like the price or the notch and I went for the 8 Plus which I am very happy with.

This is the mistake Apple have made they released three flagship phones in the one year and the combined sales of these are very strong but the X's sales are being held back by the availability of the other phones.

So I think ditching it and by releasing 3 new phones all full screen, complete with notches, is going to lead to increased sales.

It's not a reflection of the X itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I like the X. I also like the face open thingy and don’t miss the button. Not sure what some of the whining was about , didn’t take more then 2 minutes for me to get used to new modifications and I’m bad at learning new things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I would say the reason why Apple may bin the X is because of costs. They won't be able to drop the cost of the X much so that means there would be little difference the between price of the newer X and older X. So people would then more likely buy the newer one. Also they would free up more OLED panels for the newer phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Drumpot wrote: »
    I like the X. I also like the face open thingy and don’t miss the button. Not sure what some of the whining was about , didn’t take more then 2 minutes for me to get used to new modifications and I’m bad at learning new things!

FaceID. Much easier to type. (And use. :p)

faceman wrote: »
    FaceID. Much easier to type. (And use. :p)

No better person to clear up a face thingy issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Faceid killed the x. It required a notch and added substantially the cost. The market has responded.

Faceid killed the x. It required a notch and added substantially the cost. The market has responded.

This doesn’t really make sense.

What required a notch is the edge to edge display. Without Face ID the notch would have been slightly smaller but would still have been there for all the other sensors ... and without Face ID or a fingerprint sensor built into the display the bottom of the phone would have had less screen space as well because it would require an area for the home button and Touch ID.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The 5 is gone. It was replaced by the 5c, which is a different phone.

I don't have the X as I don't like the price or the notch and I went for the 8 Plus which I am very happy with.

This is the mistake Apple have made they released three flagship phones in the one year and the combined sales of these are very strong but the X's sales are being held back by the availability of the other phones.

So I think ditching it and by releasing 3 new phones all full screen, complete with notches, is going to lead to increased sales.

It's not a reflection of the X itself.

Apple released 1 flagship phone, the X, the other two were just updated models

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apple released 1 flagship phone, the X, the other two were just updated models

Not true at all. The 8 and 8 plus are flagship phones. Whilst the 7 & 6s were the secondary models.

You may view it as a mere upgrade to the 7 due to the form factor but from Apple's point of view it's a flagship phone and it had the same price (or maybe a little dearer) than what the 7 was.

That will change this year when the next gen phone becomes 3 x full screen phones and mostly the 8 becoming the cheaper model and 6s and 7 dropped.

Flagship is singular, primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The X was a big jump, and I had the 7Plus. I find it brilliant- so fast, ease of use. Great screen, vivid colours, excellent camera

Ditto
    I too went from a 7 plus.
    No regrets about getting the X other than the cost is painful.
    Notch doesn't bother me at all. The only "worry" I had, after ordering the X was FaceId and within half an hour, it became my favourite feature.

Flagship is singular, primary.

Yep.

To be fair Apple's marketing machine has indeed been saying they are all flagships and part fo the media did relay that. But that is a marketing strategy, and by definition as a flagship product is the best and the most iconic one, there can be only one at a given time.

• Advertisement

No regrets about getting the X other than the cost is painful.

Yes I think it is the only real issue with the phone. Pricing is a bit unreasonable and I definitely understand why many are refraining from buying it due to this (not sure I would have gotten one without the opportunity to get a good discount).

I personally thing in most cases the other objections people make (Face ID not as good as Touch ID, notch being a massive issue, etc) are more self-justifications not to buy it because of the price than real concerns, and that if the phone wsas 400 euros cheaper most if these people would have bought it.

I like that the X’s price point.

There I said it.

I like its exclusivity.

I’m not a bad person, honest.

There I said it.

I like its exclusivity.

Have to disagree on this point, i’d much prefer more people to have it while I have an extra few hundred euro in the bank.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Have to disagree on this point, i’d much prefer more people to have it while I have an extra few hundred euro in the bank.

I don’t need you to agree - it’s my opinion

DubDJ wrote: »

I’d rather have a couple of thousand euro in my bank balance at the end of each year then waste it going out drinking but each to their own. Value is relative to how you personally perceive something.

They should have priced it at €2k for even less value for money, and even more exclusivity.

There I said it.

I like its exclusivity.

I’d rather have a couple of thousand euro in my bank balance at the end of each year then waste it going out drinking but each to their own. Value is relative to how you personally perceive something.

I won't get onto the perceived value for money thing and how much people value exclusivity thing ... to each their own indeed by personally I don't really value paying more for a phone just for the sake of less people having the same as mine.

BUT a disadvantage of that exclusivity is that with a smaller install base we are getting less apps which are 100% optimised for the phone. Mostly those are app which still don't work well with the notch as some UI elements are behind it, or which don't run in complete full screen phone. Implementation of Face ID is also far from perfect in some apps versus Touch ID.

This will no doubt get ironed out with time but that process is made slower by the smaller install base.

I know, and I was just giving mine as a counter to yours. Never said you were wrong to have your opinion.

I’m not arguing the value of owning an iPhone, I’m saying that Apple priced it so high because they purely wanted more profit. Obviously Apple’s iPhone sales have flattened, so what I see here is a price hike to make it more profitable again.

The old way they used to do this was to make better and better phones every year, and make it accessible to more people. It now seems like they just keep raising the price with every release.

I think the reason most people paid the higher price, myself included, was because of the lack of changes for so many years that it was just great to finally see notable differences.

I’m not against a company making a profit either, but to the extent that Apple have I think is putting a lot of people off. Even on Boards a lot of people were price out of this years iPhone, I just wish Apple would of kept going the way they were instead of hiking the price with every iteration.

They didn’t, this is the first iPhone I paid more for in a long while

• Advertisement

If you look at the price for getting the latest and greatest iPhone model with it highest storage capacity, it was fairly stable until the 4S around 700 euros, and has been rising steadily and fairly sharply every year since then (to have reached 1300 euros today with the X).

For the 700 euros which used to give the best model with large storage, what you get today is basically a model one generation behind with small storage or two generations behind with large storage.

Advertisement