Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

The highest storage wouldn’t always be the same, so it wouldn’t be a fair comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The highest storage wouldn’t always be the same, so it wouldn’t be a fair comparison

It is quite fair. The cost of storage goes down and people need more ... the offering just follows that trend. If you don't accept that you are basically saying there is no way to compare pricing as the storage capacities offered on the initial models simply don't exist anymore. And then you can also say yeah they didn't have face ID, the CPU was slower, the had less RAM, etc. But all those are just excuses to refuse a comparison.

Bob24 wrote: »
    It is quite fair. The cost of storage goes down and people need more ... the offering just follows that trend. If you don't accept that you are basically saying there is no way to compare pricing as the storage capacities offered on the initial models simply don't exist anymore. And then you can also say yeah they didn't have dace ID, the CPU was slower, etc. But all those are just excuses to refuse a comparison.

Well one conmares like with like for a true comparison tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Flagship is singular, primary.

Eh no it’s not as it’s an adjective as the term is “flagship phones” and if the 8 was definitely launched as a flagship phone alongside the X,it was priced the same as the 7 the year before and that has split the sales of the iPhone and resulted in less sales for the X.

That’s what they’re attempting to correct with this years models.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Eh no it’s not as it’s an adjective as the term is “flagship phones” and if the 8 was definitely launched as a flagship phone alongside the X,it was priced the same as the 7 the year before and that has split the sales of the iPhone and resulted in less sales for the X.

That’s what they’re attempting to correct with this years models.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/flagship?s=t

noun: the best or most important one of a group or system
    adjective: being or constituting a flagship

By definition there is only one "best" hence Apple can have only one flagship phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/flagship?s=t

noun: the best or most important one of a group or system
    adjective: being or constituting a flagship

By definition there is only one "best" hence Apple can have only one flagship phone.

I get what you mean my point is that the 8 and 8 plus and the X where all fully priced Tier 1 phones as opposed to the discounted 6s and 7.

So Apple have made the mistake of having more than one 'flagship' and that''s why the X has not sold as well.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I get what you mean my point is that the 8 and 8 plus and the X where all fully priced Tier 1 phones as opposed to the discounted 6s and 7.

So Apple have made the mistake of having more than one 'flagship' and that''s why the X has not sold as well.

Let’s put it that way:

The 8 / 8 Plus are on the same segment the 7 / 7 Plus were on the year before.

It used to be the flagship segment, but with the X Apple has introduced a new and even more premium segment which is the new flagship.

So while the 8 / 8 Plus are no lesser phones than their predecessors and are high end products in the context of the smartphone market, they definitely can’t be called flagship models for Apple without being innacurate.

Saying anything else is just Apple marketing to make sure 8 / 8 Plus potential buyers who are not ready to jump to the X don’t feel like they are getting a budget phone (of course these are not budget phones but there is a psychological effect in not buying the top of the line model which could make some people feel that way).

"Apple saw stellar iPhone X sales" ... some posters here will have to reconsider their statements about disappointing sales :-)

Well one conmares like with like for a true comparison tbf

When you look at technology products over the years you can't do like with like because product lifecycles are too shorts, but comparisons still make sense. For example if I say an entry level laptop computer in 2018 costs a fraction of what it did in 1998 of the two products are not exactly the same, but it can still be useful information in the contexts of affordability, cost of manufacturing, or marketing strategies. As is the fact that the price of an top of the line iPhone has almost doubled since the iPhone 4.

Ot it would be silly to say I won't in any circumstances compare the evolution of the price of TV sets over the past 50 years because it would't be like for like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple announced their earnings today and it looks like the iPhone X was popular after all. According to Tim Cook the iPhone X is the best selling iPhone in the world.

I was kind of hoping it wouldn’t of done too well overall, as it might of forced Apple to rethink pricing in the future but it looks like we can get used to the massive price hikes.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/01/apple-earnings-fy18-q1/

DubDJ wrote: »
    Apple announced their earnings today and it looks like the iPhone X was popular after all. According to Tim Cook the iPhone X is the best selling iPhone in the world.

I was kind of hoping it wouldn’t of done too well overall, as it might of forced Apple to rethink pricing in the future but it looks like we can get used to the massive price hikes.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/01/apple-earnings-fy18-q1/

Yes the X is doing fine vs other iPhone models. Having said that total iPhone sales slightly dropping compared to the previous year should be worrying for Apple. The smartphone market is maturing and won’t support crazy YoY shipment increases anymore, but it shouldn’t lead to stagnation or a drop either if Apple was performing.

https://twitter.com/macrumors/status/959202229214355457

X proving the most popular haterz gonna 8 didn’t really materialise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yes the X is doing fine vs other iPhone models. Having said that total iPhone sales slightly dropping compared to the previous year should be worrying for Apple. The smartphone market is maturing and won’t support crazy YoY shipment increases anymore, but it shouldn’t lead to stagnation or a drop either if Apple was performing.

Kind of goes back to what I mentioned earlier in the thread, Apple have hit a wall with numbers shipped, so they’ve just upped the price as a way to keep the profits growing.

Less iPhones sold compared to last year but more profit, I just hope the trend doesn’t continue.

Kind of goes back to what I mentioned earlier in the thread, Apple have hit a wall with numbers shipped, so they’ve just upped the price as a way to keep the profits growing.

Less iPhones sold compared to last year but more profit, I just hope the trend doesn’t continue.

Yes this and also making more money on associated services.

To be honest I don't think it can continue for too long. It would be a losing strategy in the long term to count on this, as to remain relevant they need a critical mass of iOS users.

Edit: actually I just saw the overall smartphone market is shrinking a good bit, so I take back what I said and Apple is doing better than average: https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/01/iphone-top-selling-smartphone-holiday-quarter/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Overall shipments of iPhones are up 2% YOY. Last year Q1 was one week longer than this year. Take average into account and iPhones Sales are UP. Approx 79 million iPhones.

Markets don't seem to see this part though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

One thing yesterday’s earnings call is telling us; expensive iPhones are the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

faceman wrote: »
    One thing yesterday’s earnings call is telling us; expensive iPhones are the future.

There has always been a premier phone market my first phone bought in 1989 was 2k in 1998 I bought the Nokia 8810 if I remember that was big money as well. There has always been a market for high end phones what has distorted the market is telcos subsidising handsets. I prefer to have a low monthly charge and buy the phone I like currently the X direct from apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I had a new IPhone X but sometimes face recognition doesn’t work.

I also get the impression that some of the older apps (iCloud put all stuff from old phone onto new one) might be causing some issues. The phone crashed once and once or twice it’s been a bit buggy. Anybody with same issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I prefer to have a low monthly charge and buy the phone I like currently the X direct from apple.

I pretty much do the same.

Haven't bought a contracted phone in almost a decade, around the time they started bringing in 18 and 24 month contracts instead of 12 month. Also something in me always detested the way carriers SIM lock the phones they supply, even though you have signed a legal contract to stay with them for X number of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 crisargentina

Tengo el mismo inconveniente...podran indicarme los pasos a seguir?

dcf269699ec57d0b315229ebdb2c9713--fawlty-towers-iconic-characters.jpg

Disculpe mi broma. No pude resistir.

En serio, ¿de qué problema estás hablando? ¿Es el problema con FaceID como lo menciona Drumpot?
    Please excuse my joke. I could not resist.

Seriously, of which problem are you speaking? Is it the problem with FaceID as mentioned by Drumpot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Is there any difference between an iPhone X purchased at an Apple Store in the USA and one purchased over here or in Europe?

ION08 wrote: »
    Is there any difference between an iPhone X purchased at an Apple Store in the USA and one purchased over here or in Europe?

Depends which model you get in the US. If you go a few pages back this was discussed extensively.

Depends which model you get in the US. If you go a few pages back this was discussed extensively.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Sorry im a little bit lost.

Its a 64gb space grey iphone x

The mrs is bringing one back from the US so im just curious if there are any differences good or bad?

EDIT: Found my answer , thanks. US iPhone X is better. good to kno :)

ION08 wrote: »
    Sorry im a little bit lost.

Its a 64gb space grey iphone x

The mrs is bringing one back from the US so im just curious if there are any differences good or bad?

EDIT: Found my answer , thanks. US iPhone X is better. good to kno :)

As long as she gets the following then you are fine : iPhone X 64GB Space Grey Model:A1901, unlocked. Also known as the T-Mobile GSM to some employees.

The other model, will not work on all 4G masts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I have the A1901 and perfect - full LTE on Virgin Mobile

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    As long as she gets the following then you are fine : iPhone X 64GB Space Grey Model:A1901, unlocked. Also known as the T-Mobile GSM to some employees.

The other model, will not work on all 4G masts

Wait , isnt the A1901 the GSM only, whereas the A1865 is the one with Qualcomm CDMA and GSM ?

I thought the A1865 is the "superior" model in that it works on both GSM and CDMA networks.

Advertisement