Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

ION08 wrote: »
    Wait , isnt the A1901 the GSM only, whereas the A1865 is the one with Qualcomm CDMA and GSM ?

I thought the A1865 is the "superior" model in that it works on both GSM and CDMA networks.

Those are network locked when sold in the US. Unless Apple has changed this since the iPhone 7 Plus.

CDMA doesn't exist in Europe and has no benefit to 99% of the population. In GSM terms, both the model numbers Support the same amount of bands and frequencies. This is my "fanboy" information though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

flexcon wrote: »
    Those are network locked when sold in the US. Unless Apple has changed this since the iPhone 7 Plus.

CDMA doesn't exist in Europe and has no benefit to 99% of the population. In GSM terms, both the model numbers Support the same amount of bands and frequencies. This is my "fanboy" information though.

Don't think thats correct.

My is an unlocked iPhone X and it's the A1865 which is both CDMA and GSM :)

Don't think thats correct.

My is an unlocked iPhone X and it's the A1865 which is both CDMA and GSM :)

Did you get this in the US at an Apple store? If so then yes, something has changed since the 7 Plus I got. I also remember how funny it was to get a straight answer from Apple store there, they had no concept of another model existing. No idea what soever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Did you get this in the US at an Apple store? If so then yes, something has changed since the 7 Plus I got. I also remember how funny it was to get a straight answer from Apple store there, they had no concept of another model existing. No idea what soever

Yes it was purchased at an Apple store in the US :)

The receipt actually specifies that it is "unlocked"

It also specifies the Part Number and it co-relates to the A1865 series.

From googling:

"The A1865 iPhone X packs a Qualcomm manufactured modem, the faster LTE chip that the device houses. GSM-only models like the A1901 iPhone X are equipped by the slower Intel modems, as explained"

Yes it was purchased at an Apple store in the US :)

The receipt actually specifies that it is "unlocked"

It also specifies the Part Number and it co-relates to the A1865 series.

From googling:

"The A1865 iPhone X packs a Qualcomm manufactured modem, the faster LTE chip that the device houses. GSM-only models like the A1901 iPhone X are equipped by the slower Intel modems, as explained"

Oh yes, I remember that controversy about the Qualcomm modem being slowed down to meet the metrics of the Intel.

OP - Forget my advice. It's outdated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My work phone was recently upgraded to a Samsung s8 having being using an S6. (My personal phone is an iPhone X)

I’m not a fan of android, I find the interface very bloated and clustered. Also the autocorrect function on Samsung phones is appalling.

The S8 has both fingerprint and face recognition. The face recognition is terrible. I’ve stopped using it. Fingerprint scanner has moved to the back and it’s a thin strip so it takes slightly longer to unlock.

Apple may not have been first with the tech but they certainly are streets ahead of their competitors

faceman wrote: »
    My work phone was recently upgraded to a Samsung s8 having being using an S6. (My personal phone is an iPhone X)

I’m not a fan of android, I find the interface very bloated and clustered. Also the autocorrect function on Samsung phones is appalling.

The S8 has both fingerprint and face recognition. The face recognition is terrible. I’ve stopped using it. Fingerprint scanner has moved to the back and it’s a thin strip so it takes slightly longer to unlock.

Apple may not have been first with the tech but they certainly are streets ahead of their competitors

Face unlock isn't a real security measure on Samsung, even though it's been on Android for 5+ years.

Expecting Samsung face unlock to compare to Apple's, is like buying an iPhone and expecting to be able to put a widget on your home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Basil3 wrote: »
    Face unlock isn't a real security measure on Samsung, even though it's been on Android for 5+ years.

I don't get it. What is it meant to be if not a security measure? (granted it is poorly implemented and probably not to be relied on, but I don't understand how a user authentication system can be described as not being a security measure)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wamwig

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't get it. What is it meant to be if not a security measure? (granted it is poorly implemented and probably not to be relied on, but I don't understand how a user authentication system can be described as not being a security measure)
    The S8 scans the face picture (for a want of a better way of putting it) so can be unlocked with a photograph of the owner. The iPhone X takes a scan of the face so if you use a photo it recognizes it as a flat surface and doesn’t unlock (I haven’t explained that very well)

Wamwig wrote: »
    The S8 scans the face picture (for a want of a better way of putting it) so can be unlocked with a photograph of the owner. The iPhone X takes a scan of the face so if you use a photo it recognizes it as a flat surface and doesn’t unlock (I haven’t explained that very well)

I understand that FaceID is vastly superior as it gets a 3D scan of the, but it doesn’t mean the feature on Samsung’s phone is not meant a as a security feature (albeit not as secure). What kind of feature would it be otherwise?

• Advertisement

I understand that FaceID is vastly superior as it gets a 3D scan of the, but it doesn’t mean the feature on Samsung’s phone is not meant a as a security feature (albeit not as secure). What kind of feature would it be otherwise?

It's an option, but not a very secure one. Out of the 6 or so methods for securing your phone, it's probably the least secure one....so it's not really a fair comparison, just like comparing iOS widgets to android ones.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I had to secure my device with fingerprint and/or irises for Android Pay to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The A1865 technically has a better modem than the A1901 phone but because the irish networks are in the stone age you won't benefit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Anyone else having problems with the Face ID
    Have to da a hard reset to get it working totally reset phone to factory settings and lasted a day before problems are back.
    Any other ideas before I return the phone

soundsham wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with the Face ID
    Have to da a hard reset to get it working totally reset phone to factory settings and lasted a day before problems are back.
    Any other ideas before I return the phone

What issues are you having exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

What issues are you having exactly?

Doesn’t work
    Reset it might work for an hour or a day
    Have to turn off phone completely to reset

Was told over phone it might be a hardware problem and to restore factory settings
    Did this
    Worked for a day
    Gone again
    Probably sending it back

soundsham wrote: »
    Doesn’t work
    Reset it might work for an hour or a day
    Have to turn off phone completely to reset

Was told over phone it might be a hardware problem and to restore factory settings
    Did this
    Worked for a day
    Gone again
    Probably sending it back

I've read quite a few reviews that mention when Face ID fails to detect your face, to input your passcode right away. Don't try your Face again with the sleep wake button.

Apparently if the device reckons its you over 90% and you enter the passcode, it remembers for next time.
    If you click the sleep wake or try your face again, it is basically being taught that it was right, and was not your face.

this solved quite a few peoples issues I see. Might try that, keep at it, and when it fails enter the passcode right away

Depends which model you get in the US. If you go a few pages back this was discussed extensively.

Isn't it as simple as buying an unlocked one to ensure it will work here?

*I hope so as I recently bought an iPhone 8 in the US as a gift for someone and buying unlocked was my only criteria for ensuring it worked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The sim free or unlocked phone will be fine here. It's only the Sprint and Verizon phones that won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

So one of the main reasons the iphone is so expensive is the low yields of the OLED screens which were caused by notch. Faceid and the notch have killed the iphone.

So one of the main reasons the iphone is so expensive is the low yields of the OLED screens which were caused by notch. Faceid and the notch have killed the iphone.

Only 51% of the total smartphone revenue last quarter (and over 100% of the profits due to many manufacturers posting losses) ... the iPhone looks pretty dead alright ;-)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-the-iphone-x-drives-apples-smartphone-revenue-dominance/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone ordered a case from Apple before? The standard delivery is a week which seems nuts, does it actually take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whenever I have ordered from Apple I have gotten the order within two working days.

It updates very quickly once you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone noticed dust specs over their cameras telephoto lenses. Big thread on xda forums about it. Didn't notice till now. Also wondering how the space grey stainless steel band is holding upvfir everyone. Mine seems ok since keeping it in a tpu case. My friends silver one is wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man im a bit gutted, i have a really really small little crack on the screen, where the lock icon is. it's barely visible unless viewing it at a specific angle

Ill need to get a screen protector.

Can anyone advice on one that it's super easy to put on and would result in bubbles. Im normally very bad at putting them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Headshot wrote: »
    man im a bit gutted, i have a really really small little crack on the screen, where the lock icon is. it's barely visible unless viewing it at a specific angle

Can anyone advice on one that it's super easy to put on and would result in bubbles. Im normally very bad at putting them on.

tempered glass should not have bubbles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Headshot wrote: »

I bought the standard glass ones on adverts. €5 delivered.
    They are not there for major falls etc it will help while in your pocket or small incidents.

http://www.adverts.ie/14723849

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

kceire wrote: »
    I bought the standard glass ones on adverts. €5 delivered.
    They are not there for major falls etc it will help in comet or small incidents.

http://www.adverts.ie/14723849

A screen protector that helps an iPhone survive impact from a comet?? I need this type.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A screen protector that helps an iPhone survive impact from a comet?? I need this type.

Armageddon one anyway.......I’ll get my coat.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I got the Space X version :)

*protector obviously doesn’t help with spelling :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Quick Rant /

FaceID when it works is simple and fast. When it doesn't it's entirely inconvenient. With TouchID, no-one including my close family knew my pin, now I have to enter it so often with FaceID failing that they all know my pin-code.

Every single day, multiple times per day and night it fails to recognise me. I've taken to trying to teach it by using the pin on each failed attempt. But now I'm wishing for TouchID + OLED please.

Feck it anyway.

/Rant over

Advertisement